How to play acoustic instruments authentically on a keyboard

Comments about individual Voices, please post in here.

How to play acoustic instruments authentically on a keyboard

Postby Hugh-AR » 14 Aug 2019 21:19

When we choose a 'voice' on our keyboards, it's not just the sound of that voice that is all important, but the way it is played too. A Piano is a percussive instrument, so you would play it that way on your keyboard, with deliberate 'presses' on the keys. With a Trombone you may add a bit of 'glide'. After all, that is what a Trombone does. And if you have ever played in a band you will know how a Saxophonist would play his instrument.

Saxophone

Here is one example of how to play Saxophone on a keyboard and get it to sound really 'authentic'. This is by Derek Miles playing on a Genos keyboard. It's the way he 'ad-libs' on the instrument that gives it this 'authentic' sound. And the 'intonation' of the notes played too.

"When the deep purple falls over sleepy garden walls"

Do a right-click to open this up in a NewTab
https://app.box.com/s/jo1fyzpwk7gpev4si6ssjdrplnudt1zk
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: How to play acoustic instruments authentically on a keyb

Postby Hugh-AR » 14 Aug 2019 21:35

Here's another great example of how a Saxophone should be played. By Hans (Papa Joe) this time, who has played this "ad-lib" .. just "following the flow".

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
https://app.box.com/s/vavrffqfnsse2xizkj7tg4img92ck414
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby mikeg » 15 Aug 2019 11:55

Hi Hugh the two players playing Sax on Keyboard sounded great Best Regards mikeG.
Keyboard: Tyros 2
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 January; August
mikeg
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Oct 2019 14:55

Bagpipes

Real bagpipes can't 'trigger' the same note twice. So one has to jump to another note and back again. These are called Grace Notes. In notation, a grace note is distinguished from a standard note by print size. A grace note is indicated by printing a note much smaller than an ordinary note, sometimes with a slash through the note stem .. as below.

These 'grace' notes can be 'simple' in their construction (as in the above) , or have a more complicated structure. This video below shows that it is better to have the grace notes as simple as possible.

So when playing your keyboard you need to put these notes in, and not just play two notes the same on the trot. We have covered how to play the bagpipes on a keyboard in depth, with some examples of how bagpipes should sound on a keyboard, here:

http://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=402&t=7454
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Oct 2019 15:49

Piano

At the beginning of this Topic I said:
A Piano is a percussive instrument, so you would play it that way on your keyboard, with deliberate 'presses' on the keys.

But remember, a real piano has 'moving parts' and one has to get them moving sufficiently to 'hit' the strings. On a keyboard, there are no 'hammers' to get moving to hit any strings. On a keyboard this action is mimicked by the keyboard picking up the speed at which you are pressing the key. The faster you play the note, the louder it sounds initially. Our organ engineer in Weston tells me he can always tell when an organist or keyboard player 'used to play the piano' as they 'hammer' the keys .. and as a result make tiny holes in the 'membrane' between the keys and the contacts. These make erratic 'jumping' sounds when playing notes, and the membrane then has to be replaced.

So you can play a piano 'smoothly' on a keyboard .. but play the notes fast. Don't play the notes 'slowly' or they won't sound properly. And certainly don't 'hammer' them.

Max (Greenwilby) has kindly given me permission to post his YouTube video of Sometimes When We Touch (that's a very appropriate title!) played with a piano voice .. and playing the notes 'slowly' and 'smoothly'.

When Max posted it, this is what I had said:

Some instruments, like trumpets, horns and trombones are played 'smoothly', and once they 'sound', if you continue 'blowing' they will continue 'sounding' until you stop blowing or run out of breath. Which is an important point to consider when you are playing one of these instruments on your keyboard. If you have a long series of notes for the instrument to play, then a real eg. trumpet player would stop momentarily in order to take a breath .. and then continue with the melody. So to replicate this, one ought to take one's finger off the keyboard momentarily from time to time. It is so easy to just continue with the instrument playing the melody non stop from beginning to end.

With a stringed instrument, like a violin or a cello, the sound is created by running the 'bow' over the strings. And the bow has a 'finite' length. So the 'string' player has to momentarily stop and move the bow in the opposite direction.

This all comes down to whether you want your piece to sound as if the 'real' instruments are playing it, or if you are playing your keyboard as a keyboard with an overall 'voice' that sounds like a trumpet/trombone/stringed instrument.

Here is what PeterA had to say about this in one of his posts elsewhere in this Forum:
Mentioning Breath, don’t forget a Clarinetist has to breathe regularly. So when you use that voice on your Keyboard you should also ‘take breaths’. One way of perfecting this is to take a breath as you begin to play a phrase, and as you let it out see how long you can maintain it before you have to take another. This should help you to lift your fingers from the keys at appropriate points, especially at the end of phrases in order to allow the Clarinetist to 'take a breath’.

And this comment from AndyG:
As for breathing, that's something that keyboard players often don't let their wind and brass players do and the results can be artificial - and you have a dead virtual player who hasn't breathed during the whole song! :) So think phrasing here. If you have lyrics in the music, follow them and they'll tell you where the natural breathing points are. If there are phrase marks, these will do the same. One possible exception is when you have a wind player who is adept at circular breathing - think Kenny G on sax, for example. You can then have really long solo sax lines, but don't tire the player out completely!

Then we have instruments that are best described as 'percussive' instruments. You hit the note, and even when you hold it down the sound will 'fade away'. Like the piano or vibes. No breaths needed for these people, so just carry in merrily for the whole piece without even having to think about taking 'pauses'. But, as they are 'percussive' instruments you do have to play them with a certain amount of 'attack' when playing the notes. So you can't play a piano part 'smoothly' as you would a horn.

On my AR, once you have played a piece you can theoretically 'change the instrument' you are playing with after you have recorded it .. and it will play from the floppy disk with the new instrument you have chosen. But because there will be a difference in the way you have played it (ie. smoothly or percussively), changing an instrument sound is often not an acceptable option.

Here's another YouTube video of the piano being played 'smoothly' on a keyboard. This one is by Kevin Adams. If you click on the YouTube LOGO at the bottom you can 'Watch on YouTube' .. where you will be able to read all the Comments; and have the option to Subscribe to his Channel.

Mad World - Yamaha PSR-S970

Now here is Jools Holland demonstrating the Yamaha Clavinova CVP-609. As I'm sure you know, Jools Holland is a pianist .. so he plays this as he would a piano.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 Oct 2019 17:04

Here's a really interesting video I have found showing how various acoustic instruments can be played 'authentically' on a keyboard. Some ideas here too on how to play pieces just for the sound you can get from a keyboard without using a 'style' or 'rhythm'. 'Free Play', as jackoj would call it. The 'time line' below is where the various instruments are featured. I was particularly smitten by how he gets 'strings' to sound; and 'choir' too.

Keyboard playing techniques to emulate other instruments

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 Oct 2019 22:23

Some interesting thoughts on how to play a guitar 'authentically' on a keyboard. For starters, did you know that a guitar is 'tuned' to the notes EADGBE? Unlike a keyboard, chords on a guitar can only be formed by making those notes 'higher' (by pressing on the frets). So if playing a 'C' chord you can't drop that A down to a G; or that D down to a C. The only way is up! Bear this in mind when playing a guitar piece on a keyboard.

How to Play Guitar Parts on Keyboards with Daniel Fisher

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 12 Nov 2019 12:48

Of course over the years the keyboard manufacturers have improved their sampling of 'acoustic' instruments so they are getting more and more to sound like the real thing.

I have been looking at the Genos Reference Manual, where they explain how they have used technology for playing acoustic instruments authentically. Here is a few things they have to say about their Voice section:

AEM Technology
S.Art (Super Articulation)
S.Art2 (Super Articulation2)
Live
Cool
Sweet

So that is half the battle of playing acoustic instruments authentically. To have keyboards that sound like the real thing in the first place. The other half, of course, is the way you play them.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Nov 2019 16:38

Strings

First, Bev Harrison (BevH) playing Ladies in Lavender on the Violin. This piece is from an 'older' organ so the violin doesn't have all the 'nuances' that a modern keyboard would give you.

https://app.box.com/s/e60pltc66mxatfi720q1maku12xc3mi1

And this is Charles Hughes (ChuckH) playing The Swan, A Cello this time. Played on his AR80. The AR, although ahead of it's time when it came out in the late 1990s, doesn't have the technology of producing authentic sounds that the modern keyboard has, so don't expect to hear the bow scraping on the strings!

https://app.box.com/s/him7xeo9wzub1we2ssy2uaxifc36fbsh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Nov 2019 21:56

Trumpet

Ken Shipton (kens) has played a Trumpet in this piece below. Notice how he controls the volumes of the trumpet as he plays; how the trumpet has vibrato when stationary on a note; and how he skips through 'in between' notes on his way through to notes that are spaced far apart.

https://app.box.com/s/4s4761nppwr8mdumefliv470gdmf7sbi

He has played this on an 'older' EL700 organ, which doesn't have all the 'nuances' of a modern keyboard. But Ken has carried it off because it's not just the basic sound of the trumpet that is important, but the way it is played too.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Nov 2019 21:57

Here is a video of how to create a trumpet sound on a modern keyboard, the Korg microARRANGER. This is not for the faint hearted as there are so many hoops to go through to set up an authentically sounding trumpet.

Korg microARRANGER - Tutorial / Review #9- SOUNDS - Brass, trumpet, trombone.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Nov 2019 21:25

Violin

Here is a Violin played on a Tyros 4. This has been played by Arthur (abr250), and the piece is called "Nocturne", which was the Winning entry (by Norway) of the Eurovision Song Contest in 1995.

https://app.box.com/s/6yzn7y4cnr3894zh0kjlpg6nt3cickoi

Listening to the above, you can even hear the bow 'scraping on the strings' .. and his whole piece picks up the atmosphere of that 1995 entry.

Arthur says:
I play a Tyros 4 and always have the "Initial Touch" ON. This I think enables the player to play more expressively. I do try to play voices as they should be (perhaps not always as good as they should be, but I try).

Nocturne - Secret Garden - Norway 1995 - Eurovision songs with live orchestra.

The comment underneath the clip says "Let's make Eurovision live again!". I would go along with that.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 Nov 2019 22:22

Clarinet

Here is a Clarinet sound produced on a Korg keyboard:

Korg Keyboard Improvisation - Clarinet Sound - Makam Hicaz

Arthur (abr250) has played Petite Fleur with a Clarinet, on his Tyros 4. He says:
I play a Tyros 4 and always have the "Initial Touch" ON. This I think enables the player to play more expressively.

I can see where Arthur is coming from with this. When he plays the clarinet note with 'attack' it has a very dynamic sound; but when he plays it 'softly' it is very 'quiet' sounding, which is very evident on certain notes. That change of emphasis sounds really gorgeous in this piece. Also take note of the very fast 'vibrato' he has. He has had the following comment:
The Clarinet is virtually unused on keyboards these days so a refreshing change to hear it in such a nice song. I think people would be hard pressed to know this clarinet was a keyboard, its got just the right bends and reverb etc.

Listen to this and judge for yourself:

https://app.box.com/s/ivbfb78q1b0jm9fkxd1jh1951x7uidu3

Of course it's not just the sound that the clarinet makes, it's the way it is played.

Here's a clip of Stranger On The Shore, played on a Tyros 4, with Clarinet.

And here is Mr. Acker Bilk himself with that Clarinet sound we are all trying to emulate. How he plays his Clarinet has eluded most other clarinet players .. he has his own way of producing this sound. For starters, listen to the vibrato he puts on it. A very heavy vibrato. And the Strings in the background just make this piece.

Stranger On The Shore - Acker Bilk

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Dec 2019 22:30

Saxophone

I started off this Topic with Saxophone, and now I have another one, this time played by Arthur (abr250). The tune he has played is Chris de Burgh's Lady In Red, and he has both Sax Soprano and Jazz Sax in his piece. A reminder about how Arthur has his keyboard set up to play instrumental sounds:
I play a Tyros 4 and always have the "Initial Touch" ON. This I think enables the player to play more expressively.

And my comment about this:
I can see where Arthur is coming from with this. When he plays the saxophone note with 'attack' it has a very dynamic sound; but when he plays it 'softly' it is very 'quiet' sounding, which is very evident on certain notes. That change of emphasis gives realism to the saxophone being played.

Do a right-click on the below to open this song up in a New Tab
https://app.box.com/s/199x6itw1xjljghu0jtj1iuufppkgx3o
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Dec 2019 07:54

I have heard more from Arthur as to how he has his keyboard set up, and he says this:
The Touch setting can be changed in the Main Menu. I have mine on Soft 2. On the Tyros we have "voice set". This is where we can change how a voice sounds .. Effects, Reverb. Delay, Release etc. which then can be saved into a user area.

I have changed the E.Q. settings from the default which I think gives an overall improvement in sound quality.

On my AR organ I don't have any E.Q. settings; but I am able to change how a voice sounds. On the AR this is under the heading Voice Edit. But to get a Voice to sound authentic it's not just how the instrument is set up. It is also how the instrument is played.

I have spoken to a few Members who say that they are not sound engineers and don't bother with things like this. But we are all sound engineers to a certain extent, as we would certainly alter the 'balance' between voices and the rhythm if the drums were drowning everything out! And I do turn OFF (or turn down) certain PARTS in a STYLE if they clash with what I am playing. An example of this is when I am playing with a Piano and one of the backing PARTS has a piano in it which interferes with the melody I am playing. With all these things, one has to have an idea in one's head as to what one is aiming to achieve. This is what makes us musicians.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Jan 2020 18:25

Piano

Can You Hear The Difference Between an Acoustic and Digital Piano?

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Jan 2020 16:53

Pipe Organs

First, the sound of a real Pipe Organ, together with an explanation on how the organ works. Parts 1 and 2 are both in this one video. It runs for about 25 mins, and you'll have to 'skip' the adverts.

The King of Instruments: History, Science and Music of the Pipe Organ
Click on the picture LINK below to listen; then click the 'back-button' after to return to this page.

In this video the narrator says:
Electric organs are fun, but there's no substitute for the epic sound of a real pipe organ.

Now, if he is referring to the experience of hearing the organ being played 'live', with sound coming at you from all directions, originating from those magnificent pipes .. then I think I would agree with him. What sort of amplification system would you need to create that sort of sound from an electronic keyboard?

But listening with headphones, or through a home hi-fi system? I'm sure that our electronic keyboards create the actual sound you get from a pipe organ and you'd have a job telling the difference. Listen to these three tracks. They were not played on the organ in Westminster Abbey. They were played by Mark Burbridge, Peter Anderson's cousin (PeterA) on Peter's Yamaha AR80 organ.

Click on the LINKS below to listen; and then click the 'back-button' after to get back to this page.
Trumpet Voluntary (MP3) .. played by Mark Burbridge
Widor - Toccata (MP3) .. played by Mark Burbridge
Bach - Toccata (MP3) .. played by Mark Burbridge
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 21 Mar 2020 16:24

Violin

CHEAP vs EXPENSIVE violins - Can you hear the difference?

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Apr 2020 00:51

Saxophone

I know the Subject of this Topic is "How to play acoustic instruments authentically on a keyboard", but it does help to analyse closely how a real Saxophone is played. So take a look/listen to this and try to pick up how the player gets his sound from his instrument.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 Jun 2020 09:54

And here is a great sounding 'keyboard' Saxophone, this time played on a Tyros 5 by Kevin Adams. Listen to (and watch) how he plays that saxophone. He has the 'touch' on and you can see clearly how he gets all those nuances and intonations of a real saxophone.

Đừng Yêu Nữa Em Mệt Rồi (Cover) - Yamaha Tyros 5

Info from under Kevin's video for anyone with a Tyros 5:
82 BPM - EP Ballad
My Registrations can be downloaded from - http://tinyurl.com/z9wqejf
TX-EP Mellow, S.Art2 Jazz Sax, Live! Strings, Big Choir, Concert Grand, Gospel Hmmm, Left = Live! Strings, Pads = String Ballad
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 20 Jun 2020 10:19

Hi Hugh,

Some interesting stuff in there, I find that the biggest asset to making most instruments sound real is after touch and modulation

All the Best Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 20 Jun 2020 11:37

Interesting, I agree with Brian re the after touch and the SA2 voices with the sax. I like the 'slide up' when you go up an octave. Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 Jun 2020 14:23

Den.

I thought you'd have something to say about using the 'touch' on a keyboard! I don't know what 'modulation' is as I don't have that on my AR80 (unless it's called something else?).

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Aug 2020 10:36

Guitar

Here's a great sounding Guitar, played by TDP Member Arthur on a Tyros 4. With the 'Initial touch' ON he has played this piece in such a way that you can even hear his fingers moving up and plucking the strings.

La Playa
https://app.box.com/s/i5rjme7vo0haxe3cm74knq7wenv34uzb

And here's another one from Arthur featuring the Guitar.

The History of Love
https://app.box.com/s/kp7o3qitxfai06a66kbvlki7lzdu2rcr
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Oct 2020 08:06

Saxophone

Here's another great sounding Saxophone played by Derek Miles on his Genos keyboard.

When I Fall In Love

https://app.box.com/s/kyl6lj7lqbqzm3q0n8dk77t1j7xtv9jg
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Oct 2020 14:42

Trumpet

What does a real Trumpet sound like? Can we get this sound (and play a trumpet like this) on our keyboards?

Alison Balsom - Trumpet Concerto in E Major

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Oct 2020 23:43

Here's a video showing the technique of how to play the keys to make them sound like the acoustic instruments.

Keyboard playing techniques to emulate other instruments

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 15 Oct 2020 07:46

Hi ALL,

May be of some interest for anyone following this topic, SKIP TO 31.5 MINUTES INTO THE VIDEO AS THE BEGINNING IS IN GERMAN

All the Best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 Jun 2021 00:18

Trumpet

Now this is how a real trumpet should sound. Can you get your trumpet on your keyboard to sound like this?

13 Year Old Girl Playing Il Silenzio (The Silence)
André Rieu & Melissa Venema performing Il Silenzio live in Maastricht.

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Nov 2021 19:28

Various Instruments

Whatever keyboard you have, the essence of getting acoustic instruments to sound as they should cannot wholly be put down to the expertise of the manufacturer of the keyboard getting the sound right. Obviously that has a lot to do with it, but it's the keyboard player that has to play the instrument in the way that the instrument would be played .. by a professional. So you have to listen to all the intonations and 'passing notes' and try to replicate that on the keyboard.

Here is a piece played by Derek Miles where he really makes his instruments come alive. Wish I could play a keyboard like that! But he has a talent that I do not have.

Georgia
Do a right-click to open this up in a new tab.
https://app.box.com/s/7235z4f2i0qenq6mi8w0agfbdx6gdrlf
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 Nov 2021 00:24

Now here's an example of how a real 'acoustic' instrument sounds .. the button accordion. This is being played by Den (dentyr).
This is my first real play on my button accordion with the Tyros4 as a backing band.

With regard to getting a keyboard to sound like this, here is the comment I made:
Listening to this, what I find really interesting is how a real accordion sounds. Although keyboards can get the 'sound' your accordion makes they can't get the intonations where you push/pull the bellows .. and that is part of the overall sound.

I always say it is the same with a piano. A keyboard will never get the sound of a real piano because ... when you put your foot down on the 'loud' pedal of a real piano it takes the 'dampers' off all the strings. This means that other strings will vibrate in sympathy with notes of the chord you are playing and give a far richer overall sound. Yes, it also 'sustains' the note, which can be replicated by the keyboard, but that is only half the story with regard to the overall sound. So a chord played and 'held down' on a real piano will sound different to the same chord played with your foot down on the 'loud' pedal.

I'm sure the same applies to any instrument played on a keyboard. The player of a real instrument will create twists in sound as they play which the keyboard cannot replicate. Although having said that, keyboards do very well these days at getting authentic sounds for musical instruments. Eg. The Clarinet sound I have on my Tyros 4 sounds so much better than the one I have on my Yamaha AR80 organ.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 19 Nov 2021 06:43

After reading all this I think I will give up playing!
OK then. They play their sax, trumpet, piano etc and do a good job. I play my Tyros 4 and get the sounds that I like. How about the sax, trumpet etc emulating the sounds of my T4? :) Sorry but I am not in competition with the real instruments.
Regards, Den.
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 22 Nov 2021 00:30

Den,

What you say is very interesting. At the end of the day, a keyboard is a keyboard .. not a clarinet, or a saxophone, or a piano. The two organs I had previously were a Farfisa Balmoral and a Yamaha AR80. In those days the technology was not great and the instrumental sounds, although similar in nature, were nothing like the real thing. I chose my sounds to suit the 'mood' of the song I was playing and wished Yamaha hadn't given them names like 'Clarinet', 'Trumpet', 'Saxophone' etc. when they clearly didn't sound like I was actually playing those instruments. Then, as they were listening to me playing, people wouldn't have continually been saying to me, "That doesn't sound much like a Clarinet".

But I do understand that at the end of the day, the manufacturers are trying to sell these organs and keyboards to us members of the public, and they wouldn't get very far if every 'voice' had a pseudonym. At least by giving names of instruments people recognise you can conjure up in your mind what sort of sound you will be hearing.

So I get what Den is saying. He has chosen eg. a Clarinet for his piece. And the sound you are hearing is what he wants to hear. So how good would a real clarinet be at getting the sound Den is getting from his keyboard?

Then of course we have sounds on our keyboards where there are no 'conventional' instruments that could make this sound. If somebody made one, would people be saying, "Is that as good as you get on the Tyros 4?". Just a thought!

For example ...

Voice: WhisperGallery

Voice: Whistle

Click the below to listen, then click the back-arrow to get back to this page.
DEMO of WhisperGallery and Whistle

Now ...

If you have a Whisper Gallery hidden away somewhere in a cupboard, can you get it out please and tell me if you can get it to sound anything like the instrument used in this piece? Equally, if you have a Whistle hidden away in a drawer somewhere, can you get it out please and tell me if you can get it to sound like the Whistle on the Tyros 4?
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 22 Nov 2021 11:03

Hello Hugh, So glad that there are two of us! I agree with what you have written. I suppose that if, and really IF, you managed to get the same sound to say, Aka Bilk, then what is the point? I have written often, I play "first class Dennis music and not second rate John Bowdler organ music." I do have the Tower Wurlitzer Organ voices on my T4 but I could no way play as per the organists that play live in Blackpool. Alternatively, they would be hard pressed to play their organ and get the sounds that I do from my T4.

Going on from that. If I played a song with MY registration and MY style and posted the song on the net together with the registration and style and someone else downloaded the reg and style and played the same song, I doubt that it would sound the same. Even if they were using a T4, it is MY style of play that makes MY music.

That's how you tell Benny Goodman from Artie Shaw.

Right from my early organ days I was wrapped in the Lowery sound. I worked up through the organs, Teeny Geeny, Jubilee and on through various others to the Symphonic Holiday. The only one I sold was the Holiday, all the others I gave to retirement homes. Now, with my T4 I can't get those sounds that I so liked. It was probably the cabinets and speakers I suppose.

Regards Den.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 22 Nov 2021 11:06

Watched the Whistle sound (watched??) listened to it and it sounds very good but a long way from the Irish whistle. So here is my Ocarina.
I bought this in Hong Kong, probably about 60 years or so ago. There were three Chinese boys playing classics on these things. I asked where they got them and they pointed to a shop nearby. It's not in concert pitch but it has amused me over the years.
Try this.

There is more on the Ocarina here:
http://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=450&t=10393

Dennis.

Continued on Page 2 ...
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Voices