Answers to Charles' Hymns Quiz

Any Religious pieces .. please post in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Answers to Charles' Hymns Quiz

Postby Hugh-AR » 12 Feb 2019 16:26

Answers to Hymns Quiz

Charles says: "The hymns were from an old copy of the Australian Baptist Hymnal I no longer have so I can't help with confirming the names of the tunes or the first lines accurately."

Hymn 01: All People that on Earth do dwell (Old 100th)
Hymn 02: Thou whose Almighty Word (Moscow)
Hymn 03: O worship the King. (Hanover)
Hymn 04: O for a thousand tongues to sing. (Lyngham)
Hymn 05: All creatures of our God and King. (Lasst Uns Erfreuen)

Hi all,

if you are looking at this then you must at least have an idea of some of the names of those Hymns. Please post your suggestions as REPLIES to this topic, and if correct I will insert your answers into the list above. So if there are already answers showing above .. then somebody else has beaten you to it!

Note: There may be other Hymns sung to these tunes. See Replies below.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Answers to Charles' Hymns Quiz

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 13 Feb 2019 08:09

1. All People that on Earth do dwell (Old 100th)
2. Thou whose Almighty Word (Moscow)
3. O the King (not sure of tune name without cheating & looking it up!)
4. O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing (Sagina). Tune also sometimes used for other words such as While Shepherds Watched.
5. All Creatures of our God and King

After 50+ years playing hymns I'm pretty sure I've got 5/5.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 Feb 2019 11:26

Hi Tony,

Thanks for identifying those. Charles didn't send me a list of the Hymn titles as he said he played these such a long time ago he wasn't sure if he could remember what they all were. So you have come to the rescue here! Charles did 69 of these Hymns so we have quite a few to go yet!

I'll wait a bit before putting up the next five, and then put up your answers into my post above. I'm sure you have them all right .. unless anybody else has any different ideas?

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby PeterA » 13 Feb 2019 11:33

Recognise all of them, but ...... Trying to remember the first line is much more tricky.

01. All people that on earth do dwell. Old hundredth. Geneva Psalter 1551
02. God whose almighty word. Moscow. Felice de Giarni
03. O worship the King. Hanover. Probably by William Croft
04. O for a thousand tongues to sing. Lyngham. Thomas Jarman
05. All creatures of our God and King. Lasst Uns Erfreuen. Geistliche Kirchengesang Arranged by Ralph Vaughan Williams

Peter
Organ: Yamaha AR80
PeterA
Active Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 14 Feb 2019 07:21

Hi

Peter is correct with the tune name for no.4 - I'm always getting mixed up between Lyngham & Sagina! I see my dyslexic computer (that's my excuse anyway!) has dropped the word "worship" in no.3. I didn't look any of them up - if I had I could have added composer's name etc.

Look forward to the next batch.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Max the Icie Owner » 15 Feb 2019 01:27

Without looking at the other replies:

Hymn 01: Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow (Doxology)
Hymn 02: Come Thou Almighty King
Hymn 03: Drawing a complete blank here
Hymn 04: Don't recognize it
Hymn 05: All Creatures Of Our God and King

Didn't grow up in an organ-heavy church. I'm from an E.Free/Methodist background, so probably different names for the same tunes (probably different words too).
Keyboards: Yamaha Motif XF8, Yamaha YS200, Yamaha PSR-295, Yamaha YPG-235, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg Krome 61, Roland JV-1000, Casio CT-370.
Digital Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-305, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-130
Organs: Kimball Broadway (R-80), Kimball Valencia III (S20), 11-stop Western Cottage Organ Co. Reed organ (pre-1918)

Assorted accordions, Yamaha PAC112V guitar, F# Double Native American Flute; AT-2035, SM57, Peavey RQ-2002-12 Mixer, Resident Audio T4 interface, MSR-100 speaker, etc.

Max the Icie Owner
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Feb 2019 13:27

Max,

Your answers are so interesting! I think we are ingrained with the 'traditional' Hymns that we grew up with from "Hymns Ancient and Modern" (which I reckon could all be classed as 'ancient' in 2019). And of course the "words" are not necessarily synonymous with the tunes. Often, the words came first .. and they were put to music by more than one composer.

So it all depends which 'words' we associate with a particular tune. One example of this was a Hymn my wife and I chose for our Wedding Service ... Love Divine All Loves Excelling. We both loved the words, but nearly fell out as to which tune to have!

1. Charles Wesley hymn Love Divine All Loves Excelling. The tune is Blaenwern composed by W.P.Rowlands. This is the one I knew. And incidentally, this is the one Kate and William had for their Royal Wedding.

2. Love Divine All Loves Excelling. Tune: John Stainer. This is the one Bronwyn knew.

So, which tune did we have? Well, Bronwyn's, of course! And last year we celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary.
There is no connection between the two above statements.

3. Or perhaps this is the tune you know? Love Divine All Loves Excelling Tune: Beecher. Composer: John Zundel (1870)

And there are others ...

I'm not a Church Organist and I'm no expert on Hymns .. my only claim in this direction is that I did sing bass in our school choir (60 years ago).
So if any of the above is incorrect please don't hesitate to say so.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Max the Icie Owner » 15 Feb 2019 19:12

Hugh,

The last video you posted is the only one I'm familiar with. That's the one I grew up with.

However, at a Baptist church recently, their common version of "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" is to the tune of "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus". That version is in the Methodist hymnal, but not commonly used (I had actually never heard it prior to this new church).

"God of Grace and God of Glory" and "Once In Royal David's City" tend to share the same tune too.

Interesting how so many hymns can share the same tune, but then the words are also applied to many other tunes. What I really find funny is when someone from one church gives me a strange look when I mention that I recognized the tune but the words were different. :mrgreen:
Keyboards: Yamaha Motif XF8, Yamaha YS200, Yamaha PSR-295, Yamaha YPG-235, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg Krome 61, Roland JV-1000, Casio CT-370.
Organs: Kimball Broadway (R-80), Kimball Valencia III (S20), 11-stop Western Cottage Organ Co. Reed organ (pre-1918)

Assorted accordions, Yamaha PAC112V guitar, F# Double Native American Flute; AT-2035, SM57, Peavey RQ-2002-12 Mixer, Resident Audio T4 interface, MSR-100 speaker, etc.

Max the Icie Owner
Active Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 19 Feb 2019 08:47

Hi
2nd batch:-

6. Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of Creation (Lobe den Herren)
7: Holy, Holy, Holly (Nicea)
8. Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise (St Denio)
9. Jesus, Thou Joy of Loving Hearts (Maryton)
10. O God, Our Help in Ages Past (St Anne)

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Max the Icie Owner » 19 Feb 2019 17:52

For 2nd batch

Hymn No: 6: Praise to the Lord

Hymn No: 7: Holy Holy Holy

Not sure about the other three, don't recognize them except from old organ recordings on Youtube.

Max the Icie Owner
Active Poster

Return to Religious Music