Sun and Sea

Any piece that is your own composition, please post in here. Tell us how you went about it!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Sun and Sea

Postby Brian007 » 07 Jul 2018 06:08

Hi ALL,

Here is one of my own compositions, I have called it Sun and Sea as it is the Sun that is represented by the chorus which is in the key of C, and the verses are represented by the Sea which is played in the key of Am,

My work flow is .. find a chord progression and choose a style and work from there for the melody line. If I remember rightly the chords here are, for the verse, Am - F#m7 - Fm7 - Em7
.. and for the chorus it goes from the minor key to the relevant Major key and its A - C - G - F - C - Am - A.

https://app.box.com/s/zj791ha90wqok4pu261tvgx3olni2ekp

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: Sun and Sea

Postby Hugh-AR » 07 Jul 2018 08:26

Brian,

That was very good! Enjoyed that! And it sounded very original. Usually when somebody composes a tune there are always bits of it that remind you of a song somebody else has done. But not in your case.

I had thought that one would compose the melody first and then put some suitable chords to it. But I can never find a melody that doesn't immediately remind me of something else, I suppose because so many 'melodies' are ingrained into my head (as I play 'by ear') that these are bound to pop out as I am trying to compose something new. So I have never succeeded in creating anything. But to write out a chord progression that I like first and then to put a melody to it ...

That is something else again. Unless another song has that same chord progression I am unlikely to end up with an existing melody.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 07 Jul 2018 09:05

Made me think of wide open spaces. Vast deserts with hills in the background. The sort of music used in Westerns. Good film music. .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 07 Jul 2018 12:11

Brian,

I think you have named your song wrongly. You start your song with the minor key (that is the sea); then go into the major key (which is the sun).

So it should be named Sea and Sun. :?: :?: :?:

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 07 Jul 2018 13:30

Hi

There are loads of chord progressions that have been reused time and time again, the great think about using an arranger keyboard is that you
can change the feel of the music very quickly by swooping style and tempos with the very minimum of work,

As regards using the notes in the chords I have found minor chords will allow a lot more notes to be used that are not directly tied to the chord it gives you a lot more leeway

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Own Compositions