Perfect Pitch, the world's greatest ear

Anything to do with Music Theory. Nothing too serious! Let's keep it light-hearted, although we may get serious too. Post your observations in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Perfect Pitch, the world's greatest ear

Postby papadeedee » 16 Nov 2016 18:15

This boy is amazing.

Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Re: Perfect Pitch, the world's greatest ear

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Feb 2017 19:37

Thanks for this, Brian D. Quite amazing!

There is more on 'perfect pitch' in the Performance Board under the topic Rebel Rouser. And a LINK to another YouTube clip of Dylan.

Click this LINK below and read from there onwards:
Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab.
http://tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5110#p34341

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 09 Feb 2017 20:35

Hi Hugh,
When I did my hypnotherapy training, we were made aware of something in Neuro Linguistic Programming called eye accessing cues. It is to do with the direction your eyes move when you are remembering an image or a sound or constructing an image or sound. An expert is supposed to be able to tell if a person is lying for example by the way his eyes move when he answers a question. ( Is he remembering or constructing ?)
I certainly wouldn't rely on it on its own but I found it interesting that when Dylan was asked to identify the hardest one, the double polychord.
His eyes moved horizontally to his right and as he is left handed, this indicates that he was locating and remembering the sounds.
His eyes then move in a few different directions, no doubt processing it all in one way or another but it is the initial movement to watch out for.
Watch from about 1min 16 secs and you will see him doing this.
I found it interesting anyway.
Brian
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 22 Jun 2017 09:22

Another video has been put up recently on YouTube by Rick Beato regarding 'perfect pitch'.

One question I would ask about having 'perfect pitch' is what would happen if the instrument you are playing is not 'in tune'. I have played many a piano that had become 'damp' in a village hall, and although 'in tune with itself' it was not in tune with the piano accordion. A nightmare when playing with the band in Scotland as the piano accordionist had no means of adjusting the overall pitch of his instrument.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 23 Jun 2017 07:44

Hi

I have a form of perfect pitch. I find playing instruments not tuned to A=440Hz is usually OK, if they're not too far adrift. With concentration I can cope with a semi-tone out - but if I use the transpose facility on a keyboard, then things rapidly tend to go haywire. No explanation - it's one of those things. As an example, 2 of the instruments in my collection are not at A=440Hz - my French Harmonium is somewhat sharp, and my folding Harmonium is almost a semi-tone sharp - and I can play them with no problem. (Both date from the pre-A=440Hz era).

Also, on Wednesday I played the Compton at Fentham Hall (COS Open COnsole evening). The weather had pushed the flue work in particular noticeably sharp - but again it was no problem. I guess I've got used to it.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Wally Gator » 23 Jun 2017 14:56

Wouldn't the piano have to be the greatest perfectly tuned piano in the world? :lol:
Wally Gator
Mega Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Jun 2017 16:03

Hi Wally,

I have put the following little story elsewhere, but it would seem appropriate to post it again here:

We once had a pianist from an orchestra staying at our hotel, and he asked me to play something to him on the organ. I wasn't too keen on doing that (playing to a real musician!), but eventually played him a Glen Miller tune. While he was listening, he asked me what key I was playing it in, as he said I was playing it in the wrong key. Well, I knew I was playing it in G. G chord; D7 chord etc. So told him I was playing it in G. "No you're not", he said. "You're playing it in A." Then I realised I had the Transpose button up two notches, so was effectively playing it in A. He said the tune I was playing was written for Bb, and he couldn't listen to it in A, as it drove him scatty. So I transposed the organ up another semitone, and then it was fine with him.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Jun 2021 14:51

Perro Pianista Con Oido Absoluto - Golden Retriever With Perfect Pitch