20 Minutes of Jimmy Smith

Here you will find a series of music videos capturing some of the finest organ music from the worlds greatest players, past and present. Each music video is (approx) 20 minutes in length.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

20 Minutes of Jimmy Smith

Postby Mike Bracchi » 30 Dec 2012 14:59

There is confusion about Smith's birth year, with various sources citing either 1925 or 1928. Born James Oscar Smith in Norristown, Pennsylvania, at the age of six he joined his father doing a song-and-dance routine in clubs. He began teaching himself to play the piano.

When he was nine, Smith won a Philadelphia radio talent contest as a boogie-woogie pianist. After a stint in the navy, he began furthering his musical education in 1948, with a year at Royal Hamilton College of Music, then the Leo Ornstein School of Music in Philadelphia in 1949.

He began exploring the Hammond organ in 1951. From 1951 to 1954 he played piano, then organ in Philly R&B bands like Don Gardner and the Sonotones.
He switched to organ permanently in 1954 after hearing Wild Bill Davis.

Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

The Dynamic Duo

Postby papadeedee » 03 Nov 2016 20:29

I have sometimes thought that Jimmy Smith's solo playing had too much emphasis on speed and runs with too many notes squeezed in but I have always believed that he was a fantastic accompanist very tasteful and inventive, I loved his partnership with Wes Montgomery
Here are the Dynamic Duo with Road Song

Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Re: 20 Minutes of Jimmy Smith

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Feb 2017 21:44

Mike,

I have listened to your 20 mins of Jimmy Smith. I always have liked the 'Hammond Sound', particularly when it is created from those original 'Tone Wheel Generators'. I have a couple of Vinyl LP records of Jimmy Smith, but after listening to the above I reckon I have another Jimmy Smith, not the Jimmy Smith, as mine are not as 'jazzy'. And after looking more closely at the cover and the write-up on the sleeve I now realise that what I had bought was not what I thought I was getting. Thanks for putting this LINK up.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: 20 Minutes of Jimmy Smith

Postby Mike Bracchi » 06 Feb 2017 10:13

Hahaha .... yeah good ole Jimmy Smith (UK)

Still a very very nice player - you may recall him from the early 70's on Opportunity Knocks playing the organ whilst his son played the drums - his son being the 'talent' so to speak.
Jimmy went on to being a successful organ retailer in the South of England and did some demonstrating for Wurlitzer and Welson if I recall correctly.

All the best,

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Return to 20 Minute Music Video Series