Styles and Registrations

This forum is for all things Clavinova including the CLP, CVP & CGP Series

Styles and Registrations

Postby Kenneve » 31 Mar 2015 17:45

Hi Guys

Whilst enjoying myself as a Newbie on this Forum, I note that I seem to be the only Member posting queries in recent months and I must thank all those who have responded to my posts so far.

Now, can anyone tell me the difference between a 'Style' and a 'Registration'. To my mind they seem to be one and the same.
I understand that a 'Registration' will totally set up a keyboard to suit a particular piece of music, but surely a 'Style' will do exactly the same thing?
I have downloaded many 'Styles' and they all seem to be designed to suit a particular tune, whereas the on-board versions are a more generic type, which suit a range of tunes, with the help of the 'Musicfinder' function.

Can anyone list the differences in these functions and give examples of when a 'Style' should be used in preference to a 'Registration' or vice versa.
Alternatively, are there any books and/or websites available which deal with this subject?

Best regards to all.
Kenneve

Re: Styles and Registrations

Postby dragon » 31 Mar 2015 20:15

One simple example would be for the player that creates his/hers own rhythm using the pedals and left hand but wants the registration i.e. the voices on all manuals to be set up automatically to suit the piece being played. .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 31 Mar 2015 21:28

Hello Ken,

Here are a couple of video tutorials on the Yamaha registration memory and style creator ... the model of the keyboard may differ from yours but the procedure should be the same :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=283

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=278

All the best,

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby Fred » 01 Apr 2015 09:33

Hi Ken

There is a considerable difference between the two.

The registration does not contain any backing like the Styles does.
Consider the style as a basic setup with backing and 4 voice changes. The yule also has the Beginning and ending plus fill in's.

The registration is simply a small file to work with the styles to give you more set up features like split points, extra DSP, volume changes and which voices are active. (if fact the registration can allow you to change almost any parameter) You can also setup a sequence of which registration button to select via a pedal.

If you are happy with the 4 voice changes etc within the Style OTS simply use the style
If you want more variations in your performance use the Registrations.

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby Kenneve » 12 Apr 2015 16:22

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the replies so far.
With my standard of playing, 4 variations is quite enough!
I think the differences between the 2 functions is slowly becoming clear, as I get more into the finer points of the instrument.
I'm now able to modify Styles and save the results to a USB stick.

Having said that, has anybody found that their Yamaha USB stick is sometimes 'not recognised' by the piano, but will function OK on a PC?
Conversely, other USB sticks will work fine on the piano and PC.

Best regards to all.
Kenneve

Postby Brian007 » 12 Apr 2015 16:36

Some times it pays you if you can to format your usb stick on the instrument that you intend to use it on rather than a PC.

Brian007 :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Kenneve » 12 Apr 2015 18:41

Hi Brian

Thanks for that. I have sent the USB stick back to my dealer,but will take your advice when I get a replacement, if the CVP605 will allow me to.

Best regards
Kenneve

Postby Kenneve » 17 Apr 2015 06:41

My dealer has replaced the stick and it appears to work fine, which suggests to me that the previous stick did have some form of obscure fault. The new stick was preloaded with the same software as before, so did not require formatting on the piano, before use.

My thanks to all those who have contributed to my posts.
Kenneve

Postby KRUG » 20 Apr 2015 12:46

I think that you will find that the terms style, registration and performance have meanings particular to each manufacturer. For me a style is automatic and is composed of two things - a drum rhythm and a rhythmic accompaniment. The style has various levels of complexity and includes intro, endings and breaks. A registration is the selection of sounds which are set to play on the keys. In some cases a style can be associated with a registration but the registration could be changed while the style continued. Some styles are generic but others are very closely representative of a particular song whereas a registration is representative of a band, orchestra or even instrument.

Keith
KRUG

Return to Yamaha Clavinova CLP, CVP & CGP Series