One Song Per Registration Bank

The Yamaha Tyros 3 & 4 Workstations.

One Song Per Registration Bank

Postby NativeAngels » 29 Aug 2019 22:01

Do you use the One Song Per Registration Bank System or Do You Have Your Own System?
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Re: One Song Per Registration Bank

Postby Eileen » 31 Aug 2019 15:44

I do use one song or medley per all 10 registrations in a registration bank. This adds lots of interest and can also be used on other songs by just selecting another style and putting the freeze button on.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 Aug 2019 22:38

Hi James,

I use Registration Memory buttons just for ONE song. If when I play the song later I think the piece would benefit from setting up another Registration Memory then I pop that into the next available slot.

But I do know of a couple of Members who set up all their Registration Memories with something different (well, maybe not all, but a few are completely different). Then with that one setup they can play different types of music eg. a Hymn with no Style or Rhythm .. just Church Organ sounds; have just a piano at their fingertips; maybe a setup for a Foxtrot or Quickstep; or a Latin Rhythm; or a Waltz etc.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 Aug 2019 23:10

Here are two videos to show these two ways of using the Registration Memories.

First, using the Registration Memories for just one song. In this demo, he keeps overriding what he has got in Memory 2. But of course you can save each setup into the next available Registration Memory, and then you can choose any of them to use in your song.
Sorry about the 'plug' in the middle!

In this next demonstration, he is using each Registration Memory for something completely different. So you wouldn't move from one Registration Memory to another in the same song. You would press another Registration Memory to play a different song.

Hugh

PS. Listening to the first demo, when he chooses his oboe and strings to play together .. on my AR I would PAN one of those sounds to the left and one to the right, so you get some separation between those two sounds. They way he has set his up, they are both coming from the 'middle' and you can't really tell that the sound is actually two instruments. If you have a Tyros, can you tell me if you actually can PAN instruments you have chosen to the left or right?
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Papa Joe » 22 Nov 2019 14:11

Heiy Hugh, I've found your last question (red letters) conc. PLACING R1 TO LEFT AND R2 TO RIGHT for example accidently. Yes, the Tyros 4 offers the according option via the MIXTURE CONSOLE, to place R1, R2 and R3 in a position that you want.

Will be glad if this answers your question.

Kind regards from Germany
Hans-Joachim
A day without music is in principle possible but senseless
Papa Joe
Active Poster

Location: Germany, County Baden-Wuerttemberg, next City Stuttgart

Postby Hugh-AR » 22 Nov 2019 22:10

Thanks Hans. I have come to the conclusion that you can PAN sounds to left and right for all modern keyboards. If it wasn't possible then there would be no point in having a STEREO output .. which is what lets you hear the pan you have done (or what the keyboard has automatically done for you).

Years ago I had a Farfisa Balmoral organ, which didn't have a STEREO output. A reason for this was because it had an internal Leslie speaker, which being mechanical couldn't be picked up through headphones. You would have to use external microphones to record it. The headphones were MONO, and it said quite clearly on the box that these were 'for practice only'. How things have moved on since those days!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 26 Nov 2019 10:57

Hello All, So one song per registration bank. I do this so that I can get to my songs quick. They are prefaced with the page number in my books which I have made up for myself.
Now, the mathematics of the Tyros. According to Den.
You have 8 registration buttons and 4 OTS buttons, OK?
You have voices R1, R2 & R3.
You have a freeze button.
You select a style, Vocal waltz. Press Freeze.
Let’s start with the OTS, You can have R1 alone, R2 alone and R3 alone. On OTS button 1.
Continue, R1+R2, R1+R3 and R2+R3 then R1+R2+R3.
You now have 7 variations on just ONE OTS button.
Similar on the other 3 buttons and now you have 4 * 7 = 28 variations.
Now come down to the registration buttons, 1 to 8. The same sequence applies; 8 * 7 = 56. So for your Vocal Waltz you have a possibility of 84 variations, ensuring the freeze button is on.
So, to add excitement to the pot there are quite a few waltz styles that you can set (register) the same tempo. Put these waltz styles onto buttons 2 to 8 and you are climbing into 672 variations just for the waltz at 90 BPM! WOW!!!
Save this bank, you have done a lot of work to get this far.
Next reg bank can have the same treatment using a foxtrot style.
Up to now you have only TWO banks, one as waltzes and one as foxtrots.
My 250 Gb hard drive will accommodate a lot more banks than that.
Just to be pedantic, you can name the songs in the registration block
(Button J)
Now just to make your itchy fingers sticky, you can vary the volume of any of the voices on the fly using the sliders. Lucky they are in a position where you can see what is happening and not stuck somewhere on the side as an afterthought.
Having digested that lot then you can get stuck into the DSP and Variations; but that will take weeks of work to wander through that lot.
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby NativeAngels » 28 Nov 2019 00:13

Filling up those registrations and ots is also a task, when you sit down and create your arrangements.
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Return to Yamaha Tyros 3 & Tyros 4 Workstations