January 2024 Challenge

January 2024 Challenge

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 Dec 2023 22:25

If you haven't already seen it, please read the comments about what we are aiming for in this Challenge section.
Click this LINK:

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab.
http://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=408&t=12263

For the January 2024 Challenge I would like to go back to a topic that Ron started in the Messages for Members board .. Choice of tunes posted on the Forum, where he said:
Wouldn't it be nice if you chose some modern tunes to play for a change. I have the feeling that any younger members will struggle to know some of the material that is posted these days. Vera Lynn and WWII are long gone. I would be the first to admit that most modern music leaves me cold but there are some lovely ballads from the 70's. 80's, 90's and even later than that. So why not try something new and try another form of challenge. I have featured Adele and Ed Sheeran a while ago but unfortunately very few people seemed to like them. I am a great believer in that music should be explored.

https://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=408&t=12392

Ron had a couple of Replies to what he said, and continued with the following:
Brian & John T, thanks for reading and replying to my post.

Your comments are all fair points I admit and I was really trying to encourage a wee bit of divergence from the normal playing styles that we have all been using for years. I suppose we are all captives of the ready made styles that come supplied with all our personal keyboards, but I have found it possible to adapt styles to suit tunes that were not really catered for.

Age is another consideration I suppose, but this should not restrain ones ability to try out new tunes. I will be 86 next month, quite old I suppose, but only in body. I am always up for a new musical challenge and often play tunes that nobody has heard of or they just plain do not like. This has been proved many times on the forum.

So, if you all can only play the old favourites and enjoy doing so, I will not be the one to discourage that. There are hundreds of old tunes waiting to be played but I still think an occasional visit into the 21st century is worth a try.

Here’s hoping that nobody takes offence at my ageism comments and look forward to maybe hearing something “new” soon.

Ron

Now I think this is a great idea for a Challenge, so the January 2024 Challenge is to post a song that was released from 1980 onwards, to the present day. As usual, it can be one you have played previously, or posted in a Challenge previously. Also, see if you can find a YouTube version of the song sung by the original artiste .. and post that as well. If you are not sure how to 'embed' a YouTube video, just get the Share LINK from underneath the video (ie. COPY and PASTE it) and either Den or I will do the rest.

If you do want to do the embedded YouTube LINK yourself, I have given instructions on how to do it here:

https://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6616&p=68590#p68590

For obvious reasons, it is imperative that you should do a little research and give us a year when you reckon the song you have chosen was first performed. So I won't be uploading Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade (his signature tune) as this was released in May 1939.

The place to post your entry for the January 2024 Challenge is here ..

https://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=524

Click on NEWTOPIC and post your entry as you normally do.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to CHALLENGE - JANUARY 2024