What you will find in this new Board

Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Postby Hugh-AR » 29 Nov 2020 17:24

I know that some of you do videos showing you playing your keyboards/organs 'live'. Those videos are always interesting to watch as you can watch what is being played and can see any buttons being pressed to make changes. A video done this way can be uploaded directly to YouTube.

Now as far as I am concerned I have three major problems in doing this.

1. When I do an MP3 recording, panic sets in as soon as I press the record button. I get so far and then I forget what comes next. Sometimes this happens when playing the first note and I play the wrong one! So I STOP, and start the recording again. I normally have anything between 15 and 25 attempts at a recording before I am happy with it. Sometimes, I think I have got it as I want it, and then when I listen to it I have forgotten to do something, or left something out .. so start again. Having a camera going at the same time would just exacerbate the situation.

2. I like to record the music I am playing so when I listen to it afterwards it sounds the same as when listening with headphones. And I like to hear it in stereo, so any PAN I set up will stay the same, and have an element of left side or right. So having a single microphone is a no-no for me. And two mics aren't much better, as I get all the sound from the speakers bouncing off the walls, floor and ceiling. I would have to use a "line-in" from the keyboard to the camcorder, and I don't even know of a camcorder that has a STEREO "line in".

3. If I were to do a "live" recording of me playing, what would I record? What happens when you do some multi-tracking? Do you record the first bit or the second? Whatever you do, people are not watching you playing everything they hear. Unless you are very clever and know how to incorporate everything you are playing into one video. Like in these two, below.

First, one done by Rev Tony Newnham, who says, " I also used the on-board recording facility to add a piano overdub"

And here is an example where the various melodies that make up the 'whole' piece have been played separately and then put together.

Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D | Keyboard multitrack

So what is this new Board all about? Well, if anybody has any suggestions as to how to put together something like the above, please explain how it is done.

But also, another take on this is how to put music you have recorded as MP3 to a video, either with your own photos/video clips or some you have downloaded from the internet (these should be FREE for you to use without infringing Copyright).

We would also be interested in any 'Holiday Videos' which are your videos. Tell us what programs you used to get your final result.

Hugh & Den
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: What you will find in this new Board

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 11 Oct 2021 10:36

Hi

I'm fortunate that all 3 of my main camcorders have a line-in facility. You might have to hunt for it in the menu system (or actually read the instruction manual! - these days you'll probably have to download the full manual to get this sort of information - most users don't even think beyond the basic facilities).

That sorts out getting audio into the camera (it gets a little more complicated when the instrument has no line output!)

The "red light syndrome" is a real problem - I've taken to recording using 2 cameras (at least) so I can edit together a performance without having to get a good take right the way through (although that is the best option). I can then use shots from the more distant camera (or other pictures) as "cutaways" to hide the edits in the master video stream.

Multi-tracking is fun - but not as easy as it looks. Whatever, you need a complete track to start with - even if it's just a simple guide track that you delete later. Get one track right, then add the next. If you're working at a fixed tempo, then a metronome or click track is a great help in getting things synchronised. I've actually recently bought a simple multi-track audio recorder for doing multi-track songs, but it is possible to record one track, then play along to it & record the second part (the system invented by Les Paul many years ago).

I'm happy to try & answer any questions, but I'm far more an audio engineer (and I haven't worked professionally in that field for a few years now).

Every Blessing

Tony
(Note that I will be pretty busy until Christmas!)
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Creating Videos