Setting up and Saving REGISTRATIONS

Setting up and Saving REGISTRATIONS

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Apr 2021 21:24

When setting up a REGISTRATION, any sound that you currently have set up on your keyboard can be SAVED into a REGISTRATION MEMORY. So if you really like what you are listening to, then SAVE it! To do this, press the MEMORY button (you don't have to hold it down) ..

.. and then press one of the REGISTRATION MEMORY buttons to store it in there (I have 8 on my Tyros 4). It you want, you can over-ride an existing one. In the box that comes up when you press MEMORY, make sure you have the boxes 'ticked' for what you want to SAVE (I personally have all the boxes ticked, just to make sure!). (Note: If you change your mind about storing your sound in one of the Registration Memories, just press the MEMORY button again and the operation will be cancelled).

I will then play about with what I have got and choose some different sounds for the next part of my song .. and press MEMORY again and store that into another REGISTRATION MEMORY. At this point it is a good idea to actually SAVE what you are doing to your keyboard as a REGISTRATION BANK, otherwise you may very well lose everything you have done so far.

To do this, press the button next to REGIST (on my Tyros 4 it's button J) and on the screen you will get the appropriate screen to be able to save it.
Eg: ...

In my case, the name showing is Beautiful Dreamer. This is what I had in my Registration Memory before I started finding new sounds, pressing MEMORY and saving them. The song I am building a Registration for is Feelings.

This is where you have to be very careful and think out what is going on. The keyboard has the Registration Bank Beautiful Dreamer stored in USER. I have changed that Registration so the one sitting in my REGISTRATION MEMORY is the setup for my new song .. Feelings. There are three things that can happen to you here.

(1) The keyboard decides to replace what's in your REGISTRATION MEMORY with what it thinks should be there .. the original Registration Bank for Beautiful Dreamer. If it does that, you will have the registration for Beautiful Dreamer back in your REGISTRATION MEMORY, wiping out all your hard work and you will be back to square one.
(2) The keyboard decides that as you have changed the REGISTRATION MEMORY then it should upload what's in there and replace the original Beautiful Dreamer Registration Bank in USER. If it does that you will have lost your original Beautiful Dreamer setup and in it's place you'll have your registration for Feelings.
(3) You want the keyboard to create a NEW REGISTRATION BANK called Feelings, and have in it what's in your current REGISTRATION MEMORY.

This is what you do.

I will repeat the picture I had above so you an see again what is in it.

Ignore any Registration Banks that may be highlighted. We have something in our REGISTRATION BANK that we want to save. The operative word is SAVE, which shows quite clearly at the bottom. Click the button underneath the screen corresponding to SAVE, and you will get this:

It's showing Beautiful Dreamer in orange .. but we are ignoring that. Press and HOLD the button under the screen corresponding to DELETE. This 'deletes' the NAME showing in orange .. and you get this (ie. the words in orange have gone, and the cursor is flashing on the left ready for you to type in a new name):

Now, using Upper case and Lower case letters, type in the name for your new Registration Bank .. in my case, Feelings.

Press the OK .. and there is your new Registration Bank called Feelings .. in USER .. and my original Beautiful Dreamer is still there as well, unaffected by anything I have done.

Press the EXIT on the keyboard itself to get back to the MAIN screen.

Enough for one day? I haven't finished yet! I want to show you how I continue with this Registration .. SAVING what I am doing as I go along.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Setting up and Saving REGISTRATIONS

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Apr 2021 22:21

OK. I have started my Registration for Feelings, and this is what I have done. I had wanted to start the song with a 'Free Play' STYLE. This is one with no drum rhythm and no 'backing PARTS' playing to a fixed rhythm. Just play with the voices in the STYLE 'as the mood takes you'. I found one called Ethereal Movie .. and I chose Concert Grand for the voice in R1. This is the REGISTRATION BANK I had saved as Feelings.

Having a play with this, here is the sound I got.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab.
Feelings played with Ethereal Movie and Concert Piano

Not too keen on the Grand Piano, so changed R1 to Orchestral Oboe. Pressed MEMORY followed by the Registration Memory 2 button.

This is the sound I have with Orchestral Oboe instead of Concert Grand piano.

Feelings played with Ethereal Movie and Orchestral Oboe

I still want to make changes to the sound I am hearing, but before I do any more I will SAVE this new Registration Memory.
Press the button under the screen corresponding to SAVE. You will get this screen, with the existing Registration Name showing in orange.

When working on a Registration Memory it is always a good idea to SAVE changes you have done as you go along.
When you SAVE, you have two options .. either over-ride (ie. Replace) the existing Registration Bank; or make a new one with a new name .. and the best way to do this is to use the old name and just add a 2, 3, 4 etc. on to the end of the file name.

To replace the existing Registration Bank press the OK now and you will be asked to confirm that you really do want to replace the existing Registration Bank with the updated one.

If this really is what you want to do, press the button next to YES. Then press the EXIT on the main part of the keyboard and you will get the MAIN screen up .. showing the same as what you had before, but of course the Feelings REGIST will be the updated one.

To have a new name to represent your changed Registration, leave the name in orange as it is (so don't press the DELETE button) and add a 2 to the end.

Now press the OK ...

... and it will save it as a new REGISTRATION BANK. For the first number, you just add a number to the end, but from then on, each time you want to change the number you have to press the DELETE button under the screen (only briefly, so you delete just the number on the end. Don't HOLD the DELETE down or you will remove all the lettering and will have to type Feelings again!).

If you have got down to reading this far, you will have realised that I am not just trying to find a Registration to play this song. I could have done that by pressing a few buttons to find a suitable STYLE, chosen a VOICE to go with it .. and played the song. What I'm doing here is trying to create a sound I have in my head for this song. And so far, this is not it! I like having a LEFT HAND VOICE, so have included that, together with the LEFT HOLD (so the voice doesn't stop when I take my hand off the keys); and I have gone for a different 'Free Play' STYLE called Ethereal Voices.

This is the setup I am using for the first part of the song.

And this is what the first part of the song sounds like using this setup.

Feelings played with Style Ethereal Voices; DarkFatSaw as my Left Hand Voice; and Orchestral Oboe for playing the melody

Now that's the sound I was after! And then, as I make more changes to my Feelings Registration and SAVE the changes this way I will end up with a load of the same, but with different numbers. One advantage of doing it this way (rather than just over-riding the Registration each time) is because if I make a mess of things I can then go back to one of my previous 'savings' and work on again from there.

I have now got the final sounds I wanted in Feelings5.

Without going into specific detail here, for the second part of the song I have used a Latin Style with a 'rhythm' (Danson); and changed my VOICE to some STRINGS with a long 'hold' on them .. and used the HARMONY ECHO to get a fistfull of strings with notes picked up from the chord I am playing with my left hand .. yet only playing single notes for the melody.

This is the setup I am using for the second part of the song.

This is what the song sounds like using my final REGISTRATION setup.

Feelings using my final REGISTRATION setup (Feelings5)

Now that I have ended up with a REGISTRATION BANK I am happy with (Feelings5) I will DELETE all those others I had created along the way.

To do this, highlight the first Registration Memory Bank you want to delete (in my case, Feelings .. that was what I started with).

Press the button under the screen corresponding to DELETE and you get this

Image.

Do not press the OK at this stage.
Press the buttons next to all the other Registration Memory Banks you want to delete, one at a time (ie. Select the files to be deleted).
You get this:

Image.

Now press the OK .. and you get this screen asking you to confirm what you want to do.

Image.

To delete all the Registration Memories you have highlighted, press the button next to YES ALL (if you just press the YES it will ask you about each one, one at a time).

You will get this while it is doing it.

And finally, you are left with this .. the one you wanted to keep.

Now, I could keep this one as my Registration Bank for Feelings, with the 5 on, but I prefer to end up with just the name of the song.
So I would re-name it. Make sure the one you want to rename is highlighted (as in the picture above).
Look at the bottom of the screen and press the button under the screen corresponding to NAME.
This is what you see:

Press the OK, and you get the name showing in orange on the screen .. with the 5 on it (see below).

To remove the 5 press the DELETE button briefly.
Do not HOLD the DELETE button down or you'll remove all the letters, and have to type Feelings out again.

Press the OK and there you have it .. your Registration Bank with just the name Feelings.

Press the button next to your registration Bank (Feelings) to highlight it; then press the EXIT on the keyboard to get back to the MAIN screen.

It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards