Setting up the Tyros 4 to play The Young Ones

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Mar 2021 21:42

Having listened to JohnT playing this on his Tyros 5 I asked him about the guitars he had used (and the STYLE). He told me this was one of the numbers in Music Finder, so I went to look for that .. but I reckon the one I had in my Music Finder was not the same as the one in his Tyros 5. The STYLE selected was 60'sGuitarPop and it only had one guitar in the One Touch Settings, which was VintageAmp. The guitars JohnT had used were Shadowed guitar and Warm electric guitar .. but I had neither of those on my Tyros 4.

I was happy with the sound of the VintageAmp guitar, but needed a change so as not to have the same sounding guitar all the way through .. something with a bit more of a 'bite' to it. I found a "Regular" guitar on the PSR website called electricguitar588, so put that into both the MIXING CONSOLE and VOICE SET to make some changes to the overall sound (for starters, electricguitar588 had no Vibrato on it, so I have added some Depth, Speed and Delay). The VOICE I have ended up with I have called TwangyGuitar, and if you want to try it, it is downloadable from the Attachment at the bottom of this post.

When playing the melody I found I had to be very 'precise' with my fingers when using that Vintage Amp guitar, lifting them off the keys before playing the next note .. or I got a 'thump' instead of a guitar note playing.

Using MULTIPAD CREATOR I created a MULTIPAD with some Strings to get that little 'echo' to the melody in the places I wanted it.

I have used the STYLE as from the Music Finder (60'sGuitarPop) but have knocked out CHORD 2, PAD and PHRASE 1 (nothing in PHRASE 2). The backing sounded really messy to me with all that lot in! Also, CHORD 1 had a Steel Guitar, and I have changed that to a Nylon Guitar .. and put the Volume up from 45 to 75. The Steel Guitar had too much 'echo' on it for me; the Nylon Guitar gave a more 'solid' rhythmic beat.

I have also used the STYLE BubblegumPop for two bars to get that 'piano break' in the first part of the song; and then used 60'sVintagePop for the 'Chorus'. The 'off beat' and the choir voice go very well with the melody at this point.

Here it is for you to listen to:

Do a right-click to open this up in a a New Tab.
http://www.ar-group.org/Files/TheYoungOnes2_T4.mp3

Hugh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Setting up the Tyros 4 to play The Young Ones

Postby Brian007 » 18 Mar 2021 08:47

Hi Hugh,

Nice one, you do right to take out a lot of the tracks in the style and start off with just the basics of what you need and add what extra tracks are necessary as and when as otherwise it can get to muddy, one thing I have started to do is to pan some tracks 68% left or right so you can hear them better, anyway liked your version of the song.

All the best. Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards