Using the EDIT on a REGISTRATION MEMORY

Using the EDIT on a REGISTRATION MEMORY

Postby Hugh-AR » 07 Sep 2020 00:29

When I set up Melodie D'Amour I ended up using just REGISTRATION MEMORIES 1, 2 and 3. As you will see from the below, I actually have five REGISTRATION MEMORIES that are 'active'.

ie. Registration Memories 4 & 5 are not used in my song. Now as I use a REGISTRATION MEMORY BANK for just one song I prefer to see just the Registration Memories I use for the song. It also serves as a reminder of how many Registration Memories I did use when playing this song.

On the MAIN screen press REGIST (button J). On the REGISTRATION BANK screen that comes up, find and highlight the song (press the button next to it).

Now press the EDIT button underneath the screen on the far right.
You will see this.

What you are looking at now are the REGISTRATION MEMORY buttons within the Melodie d'Amour song.
Highlight REGISTRATION MEMORY 4 (click the button next to it).
Then press the button under the screen for DELETE.
You will then see this.

Confirm with OK, and you will be asked to confirm again.
Say YES.

And No: 4 has gone.

This is what we now have.

Now highlight No: 5 and follow the same steps as above.

Now we've just got the three.

And these are the Registrations we now have.

We haven't quite finished yet! If we don't SAVE what we have done then it will be gone and next time I load Melody D'Amour I will be back to my 5 REGISTRATION MEMORIES.

Press the EXIT and go back to the MAIN screen.
Press the REGIST button (button J}

You will see this.

Press the button next to the song name (Melody D'Amour) and it will tell you this.

Now we have to think carefully what this actually means! It is referring to the row of lights in the REGISTRATION MEMORY on the right of the keyboard .. which we have just changed from 5 'active' Registrations to 3. If you were to press NO then it would revert back to the 5 lit buttons we had before, and all our work of turning it into 3 lit buttons would be lost. So say YES, and the buttons will still look like this.

If you look at the screen now you will see this.

See the SAVE underneath? Press it.
Now you will see this.

What it is saying is, "OK. You have SAVED your NEW Registration Memory to the REGISTRATION MEMORY bank, but you haven't said whether you want this New Registration to become the New Registration for your song Melody d'Amour, or if you want to give it a completely different Name and keep the old one as it was, with no changes to it".
So many options for us at this point!
You can see the name Melody D'Amour in the display, in red.
You could eg. put a '2' on the end and have a second Registration for this song, Melody D'Amour 2 and keep the original as it was before you started messing about with it. A good idea sometimes, as if later you decide you prefer the old Registration to the new one, it is still there and hasn't been over-ridden.
Or you could give it a completely different name. Perhaps you want to use this registration for a different song? If so, press the DELETE ( ... hold it down to delete all the red letters in one go) and type in your new name.
If you want to keep the name and have this as the New Registration for it, just press the OK. Which is what I do.
Now I see this. Doesn't give up, does it?

What it is saying is, "The Registration for Melody d'Amour has 5 'active' buttons at the moment. Are you sure you want me to 'over-ride' what is there so it becomes 3?".

Say YES.

Job done (phew!!!)

Next time you press the REGISTRATION for that Melodie d'Amour it will load it in with just the three lit buttons. They are all blue. Don't forget to press the first one to make it orange (and therefore 'active') before you start playing.

It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Using the EDIT on a REGISTRATION MEMORY

Postby Hugh-AR » 07 Sep 2020 00:54

Still keeping on the tack of using the EDIT, there is another context where this can be used. If you make a REGISTRATION BANK where every REGISTRATION MEMORY is a different Song, then you can do as I did above and get up on screen the individual Registration Memories and NAME them giving each one the name of that Song. this is the screen I am talking about, below. Of course I only had 5 Registration Memories, but you would have all 8. If you look over to the bottom left you will see where you can NAME a Registration Memory.

Doing that would be a good reminder as to what songs you had put in there!

In this video Fred Smith goes over everything I have said above. He show how to SAVE a REGISTRATION BANK; he shows how to Create a Registration from a Yamaha STYLE and associated OTS VOICES; how to remove unwanted Registration Memories and make them 'inactive' (ie. black); and how to NAME each Registration Memory if you have different songs in each Registration Memory button.

Saving Your First Registration Bank

When he got rid of two of his Registration Memories he did them both at the same time, rather than do it in two steps as I did.
The thing to remember is that when it says "Current registration bank file changed. Save changes?" you want to say YES. It is only 'saving' your changes to the blue buttons in the REGISTRATION MEMORY you have been playing about with. If you say NO it will wipe out all those changes you have been busy making and revert back to what was there before. It's when you subsequently press the SAVE that it will 'save' your Registration Memory changes to a file that you specify. If you give it a different name to any of the ones you are currently using, it will create a new REGISTRATION MEMORY BANK. If you use the same name as an existing Registration Memory Bank it will ask you if you want to overwrite it, and in this situation it will replace what was in there before.

These keyboards are not for the faint-hearted!
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards