Playing by Styles

Playing by Styles

Postby dentyr » 07 Jan 2020 12:03

Playing by Styles

Changing the OTS

The OTS or One Touch Settings are stored in the Style. When you bring in a style the voices may not be to your liking so you press the OTS buttons. Yamaha have set the voices on the styles as they think they could be; but you want to change these so that you have your own style voices.

The OTS can be linked to the variation buttons, A, B, C & D on the left side of the keyboard for style control so you do not have to reach across the keyboard to change voices. This is your first step into re-programming the keyboard to what you want.

1. Bring in your WALTZ registration or any other registration that you have.
    2. Press the button OTS Link on the left side of the keyboard; the light should come on.
    3. Press the 'A' button of the Variation block on the LEFT side of the keyboard. The light on the OTS 1 should now come on.
    4. As you press the Variation buttons A to D the light of the respective OTS will come on.
    5. Press button 'A' again, check the voices in the main screen R1 and R2. Change these to something that you like.
    6. Press MEMORY then OTS 1.

7. The keyboard will now ask you if you want to change the STYLE. Press the YES button and the box will come up with another screen. Find the 'Save' button on the bottom of the screen and press that. Now a big box will come up:

8. A command line will come up for you to create a NEW NAME. In the command line will be the existing style name, just add a 2 and save. You now have a new style named, for example 'English Waltz' which is stored in the USER section of your keyboard. It will also show up in the style box. I changed mine to "Apple".
    9. Press the Exit button to return to the main screen, press the 'Style' button (D) and tab to USER and find your NEW style.

To generate a set of named songs using the Styles follow 7 as above but put the name of the SONG as the style. Save that to the user group.

OK now you have the Style named “Apple Blossom” because it is a waltz at 90 BPM.
R1 can be a Tenor Sax, R2 Butter strings saved to your new style on OTS button1..
Buttons 2, 3 & 4 can be treated the same way with other voices.

Note that the song named styles will be in ALPHA order so easy to find in the USER section or on a USB stick.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards