Introduction to Registrations

Introduction to Registrations

Postby dentyr » 06 Jan 2020 21:51

Introduction

These notes are to introduce you to Registrations on your keyboard. Although I have used my PSR S900 for the demonstrations, all the information should apply equally to the earlier PSR keyboards from 1000, 1100, 1500, 2000, 2100, 2500 and 3000. Equally also to the PSR S500, S510, S700 S710 and the S910.

So let’s get started. When you first switch on your keyboard it starts in the default state: R1 as Grand Piano, R2 as Strings, Left as Crash, and the Style as Straight8pop. So we need to create a registration that we want to use without having to press lots of buttons. The first registration is the most time consuming as it is the template for all your other registrations. As the keyboard is designed predominantly as a strict tempo machine our first registrations will be just that. Now, just because I have used a Style or voices does not mean that you are limited to them all the way. So, into chapter one.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Introduction to Registrations

Postby dentyr » 06 Jan 2020 22:04

Chapter 1

We are going to create a new registration called “Waltz”

1. Press the ‘D’ button next to the line on your screen that shows Styles
    2. Press the button on the left side of your keyboard marked ‘Ballroom’ . On other keyboards this may be in another place so you may have to look for it. This brings up the various styles that are used in the Ballroom category.
    3. Locate and press the style “English Waltz”.
    4. Press the “Exit” button and return to the Main Screen.
You now have a Style to start with, “English Waltz”.
We will save this and create our new registration.

1. Press the ‘J’ button next to the line showing New Registration. If a registration exists in you keyboard then this may show up as such. Do not be dismayed as you will not lose it. When you press the ‘J’ button your screen changes to where you save the registrations, in the USER section.
    2. Press SAVE. This is a little button under the screen. There are two rows of these buttons so press the bottom one of ‘6’ and a command line will be displayed. This is small so look for it near the bottom of the screen.
    3. Press the ‘Delete’ button ‘7’, again another little button under the screen, and hold it until all the original letters have gone.
    4. Now type in WALTZ, press the button OK ‘8’and the screen will come up with a box telling you it is saving the registration.
    5. Now Exit to the main screen and in the Registration box (next to the ‘J’ button) you should see WALTZ.
    6. Now press the Memory button, then registration button 1. Make sure there are no other buttons highlighted except the “ACMP” and possibly button ‘A’ on the Variation block. Then press button ‘J’, then save the registration as before. Your new registration of WALTZ now has been created but is still without form.
If you are happy with the default voices as shown then there is nothing else to do with button 1. Your style is English Waltz at a tempo of 87.

Building the registration

With the registration set as WALTZ press the Memory button then registration button 2. You now have exactly the same setup as button 1 on button 2.

1. Press the TEMPO bar beside the main screen to change the tempo to 95.
    2. Press the ‘F’ button next to R1.
    3. Press the ‘Saxophone’ button to locate the Sax voices.
    4. Select one, say the Tenor Sax
    5. Exit to the main screen to see R1 with Tenor Sax.
    6. Now repeat this for R2 (the ‘G’ button) but select ‘Woodwind’ and select ‘Clarinet’
    7. Press Memory and then button 2.
    8. Save this registration by pressing the ‘J’ button to bring up the registration page, then the save button as before but just accept the WALTZ by pressing OK. The keyboard will show a box ask if you want to overwrite the existing registration. Press the button next to the ‘YES’ and it is done.
    9. Exit to the main screen.

You now have buttons 1 & 2 programmed. To continue, press Memory, then button 3 to put what you have programmed for button 2 onto button 3. Now follow the previous nine instructions but changing the tempo to 105 and the voices to whatever you chose. Do the same for button 4, tempo 116 and you have the first half of your WALTZ registration.

We now come to the exciting part. Press button ‘D’ next to the Style box, select ‘Country’ to bring up the styles for Country, locate the style ‘Country Waltz’, then exit to the main screen. If you do not have ‘Country Waltz’ on your keyboard then locate any other waltz. Now follow the previous steps using the guitar and strings voices in R1 and R2. At this stage you now have a complete registration of waltzes. The voices you chose are completely your own choice, as is the tempo you set.
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 06 Jan 2020 22:08

Chapter 2

For beginners the next step is the most worrying. We are going to make our next registration as Foxtrot. So, with the WALTZ registration set in the screen press the ‘J’ button. The registration screen comes up so press the Save button (lower 6) but this time clear the strip where it says WALTZ and type in FXT. Now press the OK, (lower 8 button). You have now saved the WALTZ registration as FXT. Don’t be alarmed, your WALTZ is still there. Exit to the main screen and see your new registration FXT in the box next to the ‘J’ button. If you now press button 1 you will see that it is exactly the same as your WALTZ registration. This will now be changed to make your FXT registration.

From here on follow the same steps as you did to create your WALTZ registration but use the Slow Foxtrot style. This starts at tempo 116 and can be increased to about 140 over the next 3 buttons (1 to 4).

For buttons 5 to 8 use the Quickstep style but note that this starts at either tempo 200 or 192 so you have to DECREASE the tempo as you progress through buttons 5 to 8. Best to do the tempo in reverse so that your tempo increases from 1 through to 8.

DON’T FORGET TO SAVE AT EACH CHANGE. It is far better to save more often than lose what you have done.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 06 Jan 2020 22:17

Chapter 3

Our next registration will be ‘DANCE’. This will have a different style on each button as well as different voices. The procedure is the same as before, set a style, set the voices and save. OK, here we go:-

[list1. Press the ‘J’ button, press the ‘SAVE’ button (lower ‘6’), clear the existing registration name, type in ‘DANCE’. Exit to the main screen.
2. Press the ‘D’ button, then select a Waltz style, exit to the main screen. Press MEMORY and button 1.
3. Press the ‘D’ button, then select a Foxtrot style, exit to the main screen. Press MEMORY and button 2
4. Press the ‘D’ button, then select a Swing style, exit to the main screen. Press MEMORY and button 3
[/list]

Continue this until you get to button 8. You should have, now, 8 different Dance styles, one on each registration button. Now for an easy way to do this, use the MUSIC FINDER.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 06 Jan 2020 22:20

Chapter 4

Introduction to the MUSIC FINDER

The Music finder is a great asset to the keyboard. Locate and press the Music Finder button. A list of songs together with their styles, beat and tempo is shown. Look at the top right of the screen and there is a box, black and white with “Music” written in it. This is located next to the ‘F’ button on the side of the screen. Pressing the ‘F’ button scrolls the list through ‘Music’, Style, Beat and Tempo. At the bottom of the screen there are two ‘arrow’ blocks, a large one and a smaller one. The large arrow, up or down, will scroll through the music finder by blocks and the smaller up or down arrows will scroll the highlight bar song by song, more slowly. Examine the information on the right side of the screen as a lot can be achieved using this. By highlighting a song and pressing the Exit button will put the song information into your main screen!! Example: Locate “Abide With Me” in the song column. It has Grand Piano as R1, Classic Flute as R2, a tempo of 72 on a Classic Piano Ballad. Using this method can put the Style into your main screen so that you can save the DANCE registration with the dances that you want on the buttons that you want. JUST REMEMBER TO SAVE EACH TIME!!! Yamaha have put in the voices and styles that they think are best for the song. This may not necessarily be to your liking but by now you will have the knowledge to amend the voices and tempo to suit yourself.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 06 Jan 2020 22:24

Chapter 4

Name the buttons

So we now have a DANCE registration with each button having a different dance tempo. BUT what are they??
This is your first step to modifying the preset of your keyboard.

1. Press button ‘J’ to bring up the registration screen.
    2. At the bottom of the screen on the right is a black box which says ‘Edit’
    3. Press the little button 8 for the Edit and up will come a screen with eight boxes showing the name on each button.
    4. Press button ‘A’ to highlight the button 1 box
    5. Press the little button 1 under ‘Name’, follow the instructions, highlight the box you want to rename and see the command line come up.
    6. Delete whatever is in the command line and type in the style or dance name that you have on registration button 1.
    7. Exit to the main screen and when you have your DANCE registration set in the registration box and you press button registration 1 you will see the name of your dance in little letters over the registration.
Continue this for all your registration buttons.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 06 Jan 2020 22:30

Chapter 5

Changing the OTS

The OTS or One Touch Settings are stored in the Style. When you bring in a style the voices may not be to your liking so you press the OTS buttons. Yamaha have set the voices on the styles as they think they could be; but you want to change these so that you have your own style voices.

The OTS can be linked to the variation buttons, A, B, C & D for style control so you do not have to reach across the keyboard to change voices. This is your first step into re-programming the keyboard to what you want.

1. Bring in your WALTZ registration
    2. Press the button OTS Link on the left side of the keyboard; the light should come on.
    3. Press the ‘A’ button of the Variation block. The light on the OTS 1 should now come on.
    4. As you press the Variation buttons A to D the light of the respective OTS will come on.
    5. Press button ‘A’ again, check the voices in the main screen R1 and R2. Change these to something that you like.
    6. Press MEMORY then OTS 1.
    7. The keyboard will now ask you if you want to change the STYLE. Press the YES button and the box will come up with a command line for you to create a NEW NAME. In the command line will be the existing style name, just add a 2 and save. You now have a new style named, for example “English Waltz 2” which is stored in the USER section of your keyboard. It will also show up in the style box.

Changing Registrations

Now you should have various registrations built up in your USER part of the memory. These will probably in alphabetical order. To get to the next registration either up or down press one of the buttons marked + or – just to the left of the “Freeze-Memory” buttons. It will be obvious to you when you press a button which way and what registration has been brought up. I use this process as I have a few CHURCH registration settings with various organ voices, transpositions, and accompaniments. The hymn numbers are in the little letters above the registration box.

Changing the Voices

Now we come to the exciting part of getting the voices as we want them. Yamaha, bless them, have set all their voices to what they think is an average sound. However, some of the voices need to be adjusted for volume over and above the sliders on the main screen panel. Earlier I said that the preset voices cannot be changed so whatever changes you make now must be saved as USER voices with a different name. Remember where this is as I need to refer you back to this point.

OK, here goes again. Select the voice in R1 on the main screen (press F button); the voice is highlighted. Press R1 again and it takes you to the Voices page. On the bottom of the screen you will see a box “Voice Set”. Press that and another screen will come up with seven black ‘slides’. The first one is the Volume. This is not the same as the volume on the main screen but is a settings volume. Push that up to 127 then press the Save button. You will have to give this a new name, just add a 2 to the name, it is saved in the USER group. If the sound is too loud then set it at a lower figure. From here on it is your ear that will tell you what to do.

See my Topic on “Playing with Styles.”

Click this LINK to go there ...

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
http://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=449&t=8316

Dennis
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby NativeAngels » 09 Jan 2020 22:47

Just wondering when you store your registrations, what boxes you have ticked ? Do you use the freeze option and how do you balance your registrations ?
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Postby dentyr » 10 Jan 2020 11:23

Hello N.A, Only use the freeze to keep the style whilst setting up other reg buttons. Balancing the registration sounds and volumes are totally up to the user, person setting it up. I have registrations for "The Carnival is Over", one using guitars with a sax backing, another with the Fairground voices I bought from TTT. Voices and sounds are a personal choice. Regards,Den.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards