Arranger Keyboards

Arranger Keyboards

Postby dentyr » 08 Jan 2020 11:02

Arranger Keyboards

So, you have bought yourself a keyboard. I have a Tyros 4 and a PSR S770 so all the information I write is geared for the Yamaha PSR and Tyros keyboards.

You have a TOOL not a TOY!! You make it do what YOU want it to do. Instructions for the keyboards are like getting into a ball (sphere), there are many ways to get in. One person said to me when I was playing a gig that it was easy as with the auto accompaniments it was all done for you. TRUE!

Now for the crown jewels. The OTS (the ONE TOUCH SYSTEM). I have not yet found any demonstrator who has shown the first entry using the OTS. Let’s get started.

The STYLE and the OTS

Sit at your keyboard, look to the left side where all the style buttons are and press one of them. I have chosen the Ballroom style button. On your screen now is a list of the STYLES for the ballroom. I have chosen the VOCAL WALTZ. You can chose any one you like, the process is the same.

Pressing the “Exit” button (I am assuming that you can find the buttons to which I refer.) and this will take you back to the Main Screen. There you will find in the Style slot “Vocal Waltz.” If you have got this far – wonderful. Looking at the keyboard now you will see the four OTS buttons lit up. Your toy has presented you with four voice settings. You may or may not like these but WE ARE GOING TO CHANGE THEM!! This is a TOOL not a TOY so we are going to make it do what YOU want it to do. Lets go:

Setting up what we want

First things first we must set up the keyboard so that it will do exactly what we want. Pick a registration by pressing the “J” button. When you have highlighted a registration then press the “SAVE” button and rename it to BLANK or START, which is up to you. Now press the “EDIT” button and delete all the voices shown. Press EXIT and return to the main screen. You should now have a registration (BLANK) with all the registration buttons OFF or not lit up.

Next, ensure that the split point is where it should be, F#2. Turn on the Auto Accompaniment button and the Harmony/Echo. Turn off R2 and R3 voices. Press “MEMORY” and then registration button one. Because many of the voices are too high for me I transpose -4 (to Ab) and use the Octave down button to -1. That is because I like it that way.

Before you switch the keyboard off at any time go and select your ‘BLANK’ registration and then close down. When you switch on again it will be there for you to start.

Now I think we are ready to update the OTS and make a dedicated style.

1. Press a style button. (Ballroom) Pic 1

2. Select a style from the main screen (Vocal Waltz)
    3. Press the exit button, returns to the main screen.
    4. Press the OTS button 1. See voices in R1 but maybe the others are not show (not lit up.). We are going to change that.
    5. Press the R1 (Vibs) and you will be presented with the voices in that category. Leave it at that for the time being.
    6. Press button R2. (Orchestral Flute) NOooooo!! Too squeaky.

7. Check down on this category and I chose German Clarinet. You can select any other voice you like.

8. Switch on the voice selection button for Voices R1 and R2.
    9. Press the Exit button. Returns to Main Screen if you are not there already.
    10. Now press the MEMORY button then OTS button 1
    11. Big grey box comes up. Read this then press “Yes” and re name the style. At first I added a 2 to the Vocal Waltz but then I also saved it as “Apple”
    12. Press the Save button
    13. You now have a new style with voices you like saved in the USER section. Note that- IN THE USER SECTION.
    14. Now go back to point 4 and repeat the process for OTS buttons 2, 3 & 4. Using different voices to YOUR liking.
Now that you have done that you want to play:- “I’ll Be With You in Apple Blossom Time”. So, press the STYLE button on the main screen, Tab to USER and find “Apple” the style you made, press OTS1 and play away. Changing voices by pressing OTS 2, OTS 3 and OTS 4.

If you turn on the OTS LINK button you can step through the OTS by using the A, B, C, D variation buttons.

By using this method you can build up a repertoire of dedicated styles for all your music. Easy?

1. Switch on the keyboard. (Reg is in the ‘J’ slot reg with reg button lit up.
    2. Press the Reg button 1. (The only one lit up!) This sets up the keyboard, only need to do this once at the start of your performance.
    3. Press the Style button (Button D on Tyros)
    4. Tab to User
    5. Select the song you want to play from your dedicated styles
    6. Press exit and PLAY.
    7. To change the SONG just go to 3 again.

For setting up the registration banks I will write a similar instruction but it is basically the same. Just remember one thing. Every time you make a change, SAVE IT!

Dentyr
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Arranger Keyboards

Postby NativeAngels » 09 Jan 2020 23:11

It’s a shame that a lot of people don’t fully use what arrangers they already have.
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Postby JohnT » 10 Jan 2020 07:33

Hi Den. Look forward to trying this. I have a lot of rubbish on the Tyros 5 . Some of the registrations do not work and need deleting. I need to get to grips with setting it up where I can find my registrations etc. JonD is good at this. Must ring him or pay him a visit as he is only about a quarter of an hours drive away. Waiting for a rainy day. Thanks for posting. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jan 2020 11:46

John,

It must be very useful to have someone so close who can show you how to do things. Explanations are always very difficult to put together to make sure every aspect of doing something is covered, and this often ends up with very long scripts that could be off-putting to read right through. Den and I have been talking about this, and we reckon it is worth putting up articles like this as they may be of interest to some. If you know what he is on about, then just skip through that part. I don't even have a keyboard (only the AR80 organ) and it is always interesting for me to see how you do things on a keyboard. Mind you, some of this looks so complicated it'll probably put me off getting a keyboard for life! Den says I really do need to have the keyboard in front of me to see how these things work.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 22 Sep 2020 06:34

Hello, You've got one now, so in to it. Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards