An evening with Rachmaninoff & Celine Dion

Found something interesting but don't know where to put it?
Post in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 May 2021 17:36

I have found the videos below quite fascinating, and I have given this topic this title as it will take you all evening if you listen to it all!

This is the story of Eric Carmen's song "All by Myself" ...

Eric Carmen - All By MySelf (HQ)

Now listen to Rachmaninoff's Concerto № 2 for piano and orchestra.

Notice any similarity? In this video below they have joined Eric Carmen's vocals with Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no.2 op.18 to show how heavily he "borrowed" from him to make his song All By Myself.

Eric Carmen "All By Myself" ripped off Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto no.2 op.18

Rachmaninoff's music was in the public domain in the United States at that time and so Carmen thought no copyright existed on it, but it was still protected outside the U.S. subsequent to the release of the album. He was later contacted by the Rachmaninoff estate and informed that it was protected. An agreement was reached in which the estate would receive 12 percent of the royalties from "All by Myself" as well as from "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again", which was based on the third movement from Rachmaninoff's Symphony No. 2.

The most notable cover version of "All by Myself" was recorded by Celine Dion in 1996 and produced by David Foster at Compass Point Studios in The Bahamas. Listen to the key change from G to Cb, which happens on that 'high note'. During an interview on "Watch What Happens Live" with Andy Cohen, Dion revealed that the famous high note on the song had not been planned, but David Foster surprised her with it when she appeared for recording. When Dion asked why the surprise, Foster told her that if she couldn't sing it, other singers would, which prompted Dion to prove to Foster that she could sing it. If you're thinking the key change is from G to B, then think again. All is explained in the video following the one below.

Céline Dion - All By Myself (Live in Boston, 2008)

The most elegant key change in all of pop music.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to This & That