Using a footswitch to move through the REGISTRATIONS

Using a footswitch to move through the REGISTRATIONS

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Nov 2020 15:38

Using a footswitch to move through the registrations in the REGISTRATION MEMORY

The foot pedal I use for this is the Yamaha FC5 pedal, connected as Pedal 2. My Pedal 1 is set up as a SUSTAIN pedal (it looks like the 'loud' pedal on a piano) and my Pedal 3 is my Volume (Expression) pedal.

As convenient as the REGISTRATION MEMORY buttons are, there may be times while playing when you want to quickly switch between the Registration Memories without having to take your hands from the keyboard. The Registration Sequence function lets you call up the eight setups in any order you specify, and you activate it by using a foot pedal.

First call up the REGISTRATION MEMORY BANK of the song you want to set this up for. In this example I shall use I Am A Cider Drinker. The buttons will all be showing blue in the REGISTRATION MEMORY (if the first one is lit up orange, don't worry about it).

Now press the FUNCTION button in MENU.

.. and you will see this screen. The one you want is REGIST SEQUENCE / FREEZE / VOICE SET.

Press that one and you see this screen below.

Well, it won't have the set up shown as that is for my song, Cider Drinker.
Make a note of what has to be set up, and you do the setup by pressing the buttons on the side of, or underneath the screen.

On the left:

REGIST+ PEDAL means 'moving UP through the sequence you set'. Choose which pedal you want to do this. In my case it is PEDAL 2.
REGIST- PEDAL means 'moving DOWN through the sequence you set' ie. to move through them in reverse order. So theoretically you could have one pedal which would move UP through the sequence when you pressed it; and another moving DOWN when you pressed it. That's over the top for me! I just want one pedal moving up, so I have set this option to OFF.
SEQUENCE END means what happens when it reaches the end of the sequence you have set. STOP means stop! End of song! TOP means go back to the beginning of the sequence and run through it again .. and again. This is how I have set mine up and you can see it doing this in the video below. NEXT BANK means just that. The sequence automatically moves to the beginning of the next Registration Memory Bank in the same folder. Can't think why one would ever want to do that .. unless you are playing 'out' and what you want to play is all in alphabetical order!

Next we need to set up the sequence order for our song. You can jump back and forth between any of the Registration Memories. Just remember what you have done, and where you have done it! If you play from sheet music, then make a note of where you change your Registration Memories on your music.

Look at the 'default' sequence showing across the bottom of the screen. It says 1 2 3 4 (look back at the picture above). This is not the order that we want, and not the only Registration Memories we want. We want to create our own sequence! Press the DELETE button under the screen and it will delete the last number showing. Keep doing this until you get to the start of the sequence. You will then have a blank line to put your numbers into, as in the picture below. Or press the CLEAR button and it will delete all those numbers in one go.

The order I want is 1 2 4 2 3 5. To get these numbers into the sequence line you have to physically press the REGISTRATION MEMORY buttons one at a time so they go orange, and when they are orange press the INSERT under the screen. So press the 1 to make it orange (if it isn't already orange) and then press the INSERT. This will put the 1 in he first position. Then press the 2 so it goes orange. Press the INSERT. This will put the 2 in the second position. Then the 4, followed by INSERT, which will put the 4 in the third position. And so on, until you have the sequence in the order that you want. If you make a mistake, press the DELETE to move back a space. If you want to change something you put into the sequence earlier on, you have the options to move to the start; or using the red left and right buttons to stop somewhere in the sequence and INSERT or REPLACE a Registration Memory. INSERT will put the number to the left of the one highlighted; and REPLACE will replace the one highlighted.

Next step.

On the right:

REGISTRATION SEQUENCE ENABLE is OFF. This needs to be turned to ON.

Once you have done this we are all set up to try it. But not yet! The pedal won't do anything until you EXIT the screen.

So press EXIT.

You will be told the Registration has changed. Do you wish to Save it? Say Yes. This sequence with the footswitch is now SAVED with the Registration, so you can try it out now if you want to. But it is not saved yet in the REGISTRATION BANK. So in the MAIN screen press the button next to REGIST (button J) and either save it with a new name, or REPLACE the Registration Bank you had before with this new one, which has the same Registration Setup as before but now includes the foot pedal action.

When you call up the REGISTRATION for your song, the Registration Memory sequence you have created for your song shows at the top of the MAIN screen.

When you start playing your song, check the status of the REGISTRATION MEMORIES. If they are all blue, then pressing the foot pedal will turn the first one to orange, ready for you to go. If that first Registration Memory is already orange, or is now orange because you have physically pressed it, then subsequent presses of the foot pedal will just move it on to 2 etc. The essence of this is to realise that the foot pedal moves on to the next number in the sequence ie. it isn't saying "I start at No: 1".

A summary of all this is in the video below, and you will see the foot pedal working the changes through the Registration Memories (as it's on TOP it does it again) .. just to prove to you that it works! If you want more time to read the captions, be prepared to 'pause' the video when they appear.

It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to How to do things with the Tyros 4 & 5 Keyboards