Railtrip to Mallaig

Any holiday you have really enjoyed, post in here and tell us all about it.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Railtrip to Mallaig

Postby Hugh-AR » 02 Apr 2019 01:39

My wife and I went up to Scotland in September 2016 for a few nights, organised by Pathfinder Tours. Train from Weston-super-Mare to Fort William and staying a couple of nights in Fort William. A special train to Mallaig and back one day; and sail, rail and road to Tobermory the next.

Our charter train went over the viaduct that is in The Harry Potter films, and they very kindly stopped the train in the middle of the viaduct so we could open the windows of the train, lean out and take pictures! Quite spectacular!

And this is what greeted us when we got to Tobermory on the Isle of Mull. This was the BBC's Balamory television program our grandchildren used to watch when they were little.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Railtrip to Mallaig

Postby lesh » 02 Apr 2019 17:23

Hi Hugh,

That’s some train, I can remember pulling into the the car park alongside the viaduct hoping for a photo shot but all we saw were trees and more trees obscuring the view.
We never got to the Isle or Mull but it looks lovely and I love the house colours, looks like you had good weather always a bonus when heading to Scotland.

Les
Keyboard: Tyros 5
lesh
Active Poster

Re: Railtrip to Mallaig

Postby Hugh-AR » 22 Apr 2019 10:55

Have just been listening to Radio 2 where the presenter has been mentioning people 'on the road' on their Easter breaks. One he mentioned was:
We are on the road from Fort William to Mallaig ..

.. which he pronounced "Mall-E-ag". Nobody from the BBC corrected him. Should be "Mall-A-g" of course.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Holiday Experiences