'Sustain' and 'Reverb'

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

'Sustain' and 'Reverb'

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Jul 2019 13:51

What is Sustain, and what is Reverb :?:

Sustain - is the length of time a note continues to sound (and gradually fade out) when the key producing the sound is released.

Reverb - is an echo-like effect added to the sound giving the impression of a performance in a large room or concert hall.

On our organs and keyboards we can set the 'reverb' to create this 'echo' electronically .. although the reverb on the Farfisa Balmoral organ I had was created by the sound 'reverberating' down a lengthy coiled spring (ie. it was mechanical).

Listen to how Don Wherly (DonW) has used the REVERB on his AR100 organ to make the Saxophone really stand out in this piece. It's after the trumpet he has at the beginning of the piece.

Is It True What They Say About Dixie

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
https://app.box.com/s/rtaawmlagmtu9ydvnnnlhvxnwik8xbv7

Very effective!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: 'Sustain' and 'Reverb'

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Jul 2019 14:00

With an electronic keyboard or organ we can set the 'reverb' to how we want it, but for a 'real' Church Organ the reverb is determined by the 'acoustics' of the church. Just listen to this YouTube video of an organ in a church in Germany. There are some interesting comments about this organ .. and the church .. so well worth a listen. The video is 32mins long.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: 'Sustain' and 'Reverb'

Postby dentyr » 13 Aug 2019 07:48

The problem I have found with the long reverb is that when you play a faster piece the earlier notes are still "reverbing" when you are some ten or so notes along the piece.

Gillian Weir is a very good player but she has the same problems. It is difficult to pick out the tune with all the reverb. Listen to this piece from 2:30 on.

I have heard other pieces that she has played and they don't impress me. If she played an electronic setup with instant response and cut the reverb a little it would sound good to me. But then that's only my opinion.
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to Playing Technique