Getting Your Keyboards / Organ Stage Ready

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Getting Your Keyboards / Organ Stage Ready

Postby NativeAngels » 19 Aug 2019 20:24

How long do you / have you spent getting your Keyboard / Organ setup to what could be used for performance on stage ?
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Re: Getting Your Keyboards / Organ Stage Ready

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 20 Aug 2019 08:08

Hi

This is a "how long is a piece of string" question! On the now rare occasions that I take keyboards out, I would normally check them out before packing them. Check that all the leads are present & working. Perhaps pack a spare audio cable or two. Don't forget a mains extension cable!

Then there's the joy of getting them into the venue - depending on access this can be a quick job, or quite lengthy (the number of keyboards also has an influence, as does the need sometimes to carry a PA system). I like to be set up & everything checked 30 mins-1 hour before the gig - that allows time to sort out any problems! I can set up my Nord C2D plus amp & speakers in around 10-15 mins, depending on the venue. Perhaps a bit quicker if it's a simple set-up, longer if cables have to be taped down with gaffa tape for safety.

Have a contingency plan for when something fails!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 20 Aug 2019 08:09

I should add that if I'm taking 3 or 4 keyboards (as I have at times in the past) setup time will be longer.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 Aug 2019 09:18

I suppose a lot must depend on what audience you have. If you're playing in an old folks home, maybe you don't need any other equipment other than how you set your keyboard up at home.

At our organ club the artistes often arrive two to three hours before a show. We do have a slightly raised stage, and they have to get their organ up that as there is no way in from the back. Some of the Members of our organ club go early to help them. Some artistes have speakers on top of poles, and some just place them on the stage, so they have all that to sort out as well. Once they have their organ set up they do a volume test, as it is quite a large hall and they want to make sure people at the back can hear. Usually, once they have played a number, they ask us if they are too quiet/too loud and adjust the volumes accordingly. I suppose it is difficult as things must sound different when the hall is empty, and when it is full of people.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 21 Aug 2019 08:23

Hi

Yes Hugh, in many halls & churches the presence - and often the size - of the audience can have a dramatic effect on the sound. People absorb a surprising amount of sound - and slightly more so in winter because of heavy coats, etc. Some theatres have tried to minimise the effect by specifying seats that absorb roughly the same amount of sound as the average person sitting in them - but I've not heard anything about this technique in recent years.

When I've had to set up & operate PA systems, in anything other than small venues I always take a walk around the audience area once the event is underway to check that the adjustments made during set-up & soundcheck are still working & everyone can hear. Even the weather makes a slight difference to the way sound behaves. Open air events are even more difficult as wind & temperature gradients add another set of variables! For the solo musician, taking a walk round the venue during the opening number isn't an option! You need to rely on others to let you know if volume is appropriate, and if the sound is OK - and that doesn't always happen. Sue & I left an organ concert at half-time recently. The player was using one of the modern mini line array systems (which aren't ideal for organ music to start with) and the sound was unbearably harsh & distorted. Very disappointing.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat