Your Favourite Keyboard / Organ Rig ?

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Your Favourite Keyboard / Organ Rig ?

Postby NativeAngels » 30 Apr 2019 21:28

What is / was your favourite keyboard rig past and present?
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Re: Your Favourite Keyboard / Organ Rig ?

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 Apr 2019 22:07

Hi James,

For the first organ I had it was a toss-up between a Gulbranson and a Farfisa. The Gulbranson had an 'Electronic Leslie' whereas the Farfisa had a mechanical one. I much preferred the sound of the Farfisa internal Leslie so ended up with the Farfisa Balmoral. The Leslie speaker in the Farfisa had a polystyrene 'drum' that spun round a fairly large fixed speaker. In the side of the drum there was a 3" 'slot' so the sound emanated from there as the drum spun. This 'threw the sound around the room' which to me was an amazing effect. And then of course moving between 'Fast Leslie' and 'Slow Leslie' it was the drum spinning between the two, which being mechanical took an age to get to the endpoint. I thought that was wonderful! I often find that a purely 'electronic' Leslie switches from one mode to the other far to quickly and the 'effect' from fast to slow, to fast is somehow lost. Maybe you can control the time span on your Korg? I have no option on my current organ, the Yamaha AR 80 (which has an Electronic Tremolo, as it's called) and the change is immediate.

The only problem I had with the Farfisa was that I couldn't play it with headphones. Well, headphones were supplied but you were warned in the blurb that the headphones were only for practising. Obvious really, as you can't get a sound created mechanically to go through the headphones. My AR 80 sounds great played through headphones, and I have a LINE OUT to record exactly how the organ sounds when I play it.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 02 May 2019 22:59

Hello, My favorite organ was my Lowrey Symphonic Holiday but too big to cart around. Loved the Yamaha C605 we had with the organ club. Now I have the best of the lot, my Tyros4. (See my posting about My Tyros.) Regards, Den

Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 12 May 2019 13:56

Speaking of present times the Genos is the best keyboard from Yamaha so far. I have worked my way through a few organs and keyboards in my time but for me Genos is the best for ease of use and the sound quality is brilliant. It is not much heavier that my 970 and I have the advantage of 76 keys.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby andyg » 13 May 2019 17:02

Nowadays we have organs and keyboards that are 'one stop shops' but when I started back in 1970, you had different instruments for different sounds. Here's the 1974 set-up for a BBC recording session at home (I didn't usually wear the velvet suit, that was just for the photo). Hammond T500 organ and Leslie 145 speaker. Jen Superstringer for, er, strings! Roland SH1000 and Korg 700 synths for solo sounds. Out of sight by my feet are some guitarists' pedals, like Wha-Wha. Good fun, but took an age to set up and strike down.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 May 2019 21:54

Wow Andy! All those keyboards! And you look quite at home sitting amongst them. Having different keyboards for different sounds seems logical. If a manufacturer improved their sounds you could just replace that one keyboard. And once set up, you knew what sounds you had available to play your piece. When I had my Farfisa organ I had a Casio Piano keyboard, which I placed at right angles to the organ keys. Got used to playing other than in a straight line.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat