Keyboard to computer

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Keyboard to computer

Postby royofherts » 14 Jan 2019 14:46

Hi All Hoping someone can solve this one i Have connected the tyros to the computer but Audacity does not reconise it, I think i can not record even with the organ unplugged
royofherts
Super Poster

Re: Keyboard to computer

Postby Brian007 » 15 Jan 2019 09:41

Hi Roy,

How have you connected the Tryos to the computer ? what type of lead/leads are you using ?

Have a look at this video

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby royofherts » 15 Jan 2019 10:25

Hi Brian i have it connected USB to USB unlike the organ which i think is midi out to USB at the computer end
royofherts
Super Poster

Postby lesh » 15 Jan 2019 10:40

Hi,
Think you connect a PC via Usb to host ports, that’s USB A computer end and USB B which is the same as a printer end, it looks square.

Les
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keyboard: Tyros 5
lesh
Active Poster

Postby Brian007 » 15 Jan 2019 12:29

Hi Roy ,

Audacity is no good for midi recording it works best with audio,
If you want to record midi you will need what is called a DAW Digital Audio Workstation software like Sonar or Cubase

Much easier to record audio in to Audacity, but you will need what is called an interface to convert the audio to a digital signal

You take the Audio out of the organ / Tyros into the interface and from the interface it goes into the computer via USB

Will have a look about for more info later today which may be easier to understand

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Jan 2019 15:29

Hi Roy,

I would ask you why you want to record your Tyros to Audacity on a computer? I had understood that a Tyros could record directly to MP3 (or WAV). Maybe onto a Memory Stick inserted into the USB of the Tyros? Once onto a Memory Stick you can put that into the USB of your computer and upload it from there to Box.

Have I missed something in saying this?

If you are playing the organ and the Tyros together then that is a different matter. You would then have to take an output from each instrument and feed these into an Audio Interface (with two separate inputs ie. a Mixer), and from there into Audacity via the USB Port in your computer. I would record pieces from just one or the other and not try to mix them. You have two superb instruments and can play either on their own and get some great sounds.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 15 Jan 2019 19:01

Hi Roy,

Hugh is right, the Tyros has a built in Midi Recorder and a built in Audio Recorder, my advice would be to record it on the tyros and save to a usb stick and then upload to your streaming site of choice, here`s a tyros tipsters video that may help a little

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby royofherts » 15 Jan 2019 19:15

Hi To you all thank you for your sugestions. I am only recording one at a time not both together, I wondered if i use a line out cable to the computer as on the organ that will work any ideas on that.
royofherts
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 15 Jan 2019 20:22

Hi Roy,

Yes a line out into the computer will work but you should really buy a small interface which will turn the analogue signal into a digital signal which works much better in the computer than analogue, and you will be able to record straight into Audacity

I use one of these as a interface and can record straight into audacity using it , not that expensive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA222-U-Control-Ultra-Low-Interface/dp/B0023BYDHK

Don`t forget to order a lead suitable to go from the organ or Tyros to the interface, so probably a Male Jack plug at one end and a Male RCA other end
and these would be best as a stereo lead,

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby royofherts » 15 Jan 2019 20:38

Hi Brian What do's a RCA Lead look like i do not want to order the wrong one.
royofherts
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Jan 2019 23:27

Hi Roy,

No, you cannot connect the organ directly to your computer. You must have an Audio Interface in between. Brian has the Behringer UCA 222 and I have the Behringer UCA 202. Both do the same. The only difference is their colour. The 222 is red and the 202 is silver. The UCA 202 (or 222) has a permanent lead to plug into the USB Port of the computer (ie. it is not removable). This lead provides the power for the UCA 202 as well as providing the Stereo Input for Audacity. The UCA 202 (or 222) has a green light which lights up when it is powered up.

The Behringer UCA222

The Behringer UCA202

The lead you have to buy is a Stereo one from your organ to the UCA 202. Your organ will have a LINE OUT, and if not you can connect from your headphone socket. So the plugs you need at the organ end only you can decide.

The UCA 202 (or 222) has an INPUT for RCA plugs, as Brian says. These are also known as PHONO PLUGS. Take a look at the Amazon picture for this device. You will see quite clearly what the sockets look like.

These are what my RCA (PHONO) Plugs look like:

One plug is white and one is red (the yellow one in the picture is for video .. my lead doesn't have a yellow plug). The RED plug is for the right channel and the WHITE one for left channel.

Please note that there are also RCA (PHONO) OUTPUT sockets on the UCA 202/222, but these are not used as the output lead we use is the fixed one attached with the USB plug on the end.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby royofherts » 16 Jan 2019 07:54

Thank you Hugh for your help now i know what i am looking for can go ahead once again thanks to all of you for your suggestions
royofherts
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 16 Jan 2019 07:57

Hi Roy ,

A suitable lead would be https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-6m-Phono-RCA-STC6PCM/dp/B004EBKV1Y

if you order the interface and lead together you should get free delivery, there may be cheaper Leads on amazon
but as long as it has the same spec it should be OK

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 16 Jan 2019 19:54

Roy,

I have added some pictures of the UCA222 and UCA202 into my post above.

As I said above, I use the LINE OUT from my organ, and this uses RCA (PHONO) Plugs as connectors, so I have the same plugs at each end of my lead. The LINE OUT has a 'fixed volume output', so turning the Volume Control up or down has no effect on the LINE OUT. Also, by using the LINE OUT I can 'monitor' the music playing from the organ just by listening to the organ loudspeakers, or through my headphones .. with the volume fairly quiet.

If you use the headphone socket from your organ, it will cut the music out completely. And also, the volume control on the organ will make a difference to the sound output to the UCA222/202. So you'll have to be careful not to have the volume up too high and get 'clipping' on your recording. A little bit of experimentation needed! Also, as you are not getting any sound from the organ itself, you will have to monitor the music via headphones plugged into your computer.

I'll put more information up here showing how to connect all this lot together.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby royofherts » 17 Jan 2019 16:05

Thank you all so much for your help i am sure i can sort it now at last.
royofherts
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 18 Jan 2019 00:23

Hi Roy,

You mentioned in your original post about recording your Tyros 5 using Audacity. As I said, the Tyros 5 records to MP3 anyway, so you don't need Audacity .. you just have to press the right buttons on your Tyros. Here is a video explaining how to do this with the Tyros 3. In his explanation he has done it by first playing the backing chords; then playing that back whilst adding a melody .. although I'm sure there's no need to do it in two steps. Just play the piece as you would normally play it, with the backing and melody together. Finally, the expression is to 'Export' the MP3 file to your Memory Stick ready for uploading to Box from your computer. I'm sure the Tyros 5 procedure will be something similar.

Yamaha TYROS 3 AUDIO RECORDING & Export To USB

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 03 Feb 2019 15:40

Hi Hugh,
Tyros 5 does not record to MP3 on Tyros 5 nor any other Yamaha Keyboard. It records to WAV and then you can convert it to MP3 in Audacity.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 03 Feb 2019 17:11

Thanks Eileen for that.

Roy .. so there you go. What you are looking at for your Tyros 5 is to record to WAV. Put the WAV file on a Memory Stick and then you can transfer that to your computer. You then need to convert the WAV file to MP3. You say you have Audacity ony our computer. Well, you can load your WAV file into Audacity and then SAVE that to MP3. In Audacity, it isn't called SAVE. It is called EXPORT. Save Project As... is something different.

So once you have your file loaded into Audacity, click on File (tab at the top), go down to Export .. and click on Export as MP3 on the right.

You will have to give your file a Name, and tell it where you want it Saved (ie. Exported to).

If you don't have that MP3 Option on the right, then that is a different matter. This comes from the LAME 'add-on', and I can explain how to do that if you need me to.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat