My AR 80 Home Made Music Stand

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

My AR 80 Home Made Music Stand

Postby TerryR » 18 Sep 2018 23:41

I have made my own Music Stand to fit on top of my AR and here is a photograph of it both in position and in use.

You can see that I have finished it to match the case of the AR.
Some may be interested in how I constructed it, so here goes.

First of all, here are 2 more shots of what it looks like when in place on my AR

I have also prepared a pdf document giving a description and outlining construction details. To open this PDF that you can either view or print out, please click this link:

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
Music Stand Description and Construction

The precise details and measurements for cutting the separate bits that you need to make it, can be found in this pdf, which again you can open by clicking this link:

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
Music Stand Cutting Instructions

Here is a picture of the parts before assembly

and this one of the complete unit before placing on the AR

Here are a couple of shots showing part assembly that you may find helpful

Obviously, I have no patent on this and you are free to make one for yourself, if you wish. Equally, feel free to use my idea and adapt it to suit your needs or skill levels.

Terry
TerryR
Novice Poster

Re: My AR 80 Home Made Music Stand

Postby Brian007 » 19 Sep 2018 07:46

Hi Terry,

Great job, its often said that necessity is the mother of invention and I would imagine that would be the case here,
it looks good and does the job which is all you need, thanks for sharing how you constructed it.

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 Sep 2018 10:41

Hi Terry,

As you say, you have to have some woodworking skills to be able to carry this out! If I do any woodwork it is usually 'by eye', which is a bit like playing music 'by ear'. Sometimes it works out great, and sometimes it's all over the place.

I have heard several people say that the standard position for reading music on their keyboards/organs is too far away for them to be able to see it properly. As Brian says, "necessity is the mother of invention" and I'm sure others have done something to resolve this problem. I myself don't read music, but I do read the chords on a sheet of music. So I often write the chords out again, much larger, over the top of where they are so I can see them. Quite a good idea as I don't always play all the chords that are written, and sometimes have chords of my own and add them in to what is there. I then have a sheet in front of me showing the chords I actually want to play.

Anyway, congratulations on completing a very worth while project.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby TerryR » 19 Sep 2018 13:49

Further to my posting yesterday: My music stand is a proto type and as always improvements can be made. You will notice in the photos the music slope leaves a gap at the ends, so if I was making another one I would increase the length of the slope to improve it's organ appeal. Also the music slope's height is fine for books, but when placing an A4 sheet of music, one does feel the slope could be a bit higher to prevent paper distortion.

Terry.
TerryR
Novice Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat