With the help of a professional

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

With the help of a professional

Postby johnb2713 » 22 Feb 2023 21:09

I have loved organ music since being knee high to a grass hopper and have had various organs over the years, I must emphasise I am NOT a good player despite the 40+ years of organ ownership. 4 years ago I went from organs (AR100) to keyboards (a Tyros 5 followed by a Genos). I didnt really hit it off with either keyboard and a year ago sold the Genos and gave up playing. After a short space of time I really missed it and started looking round for a Wersi Scala in the belief that would satisfy my needs technically and musically. To cut lengthy story short I did get a Scala which dies within 24 hours of it being delivered but then was lucky enough to find an OAX 500 within my price range.

I played around with the OAX 500 and tech stuff does not phase me but try as I did the sounds were just not quite right. I watched every video known to man on the Wersi OAX and got absolutely nowhere. Along the video research path a name became very apparent - Mr Brett Wales. I hadnt heard of him, I really dont know why because he is absolutely brilliant. Have a look:

The range of music, the arrangement of the music and his personality are second to none.

An email to Brett asking for advice resulted in me becoming aware of Brett Wales music festivals and the fact that Brett offers 1 to 1 tuition and help https://www.brettwales.com/about-4. Remember at the start I said I'm NOT a good player, I really mean that, I'm not. The thought of playing in front of someone with Brett's ability is somewhat embarrassing, Brett however is a really nice guy and really wants to help.

Brett came to me yesterday for the full day, as directed I had my questions printed out ready. Most of my questions were on aspects of organ setup and configuration. Brett very patiently went through the organ and it's setup giving me answers to all of my questions. He explained thoroughly every single step that we did which ranged from Creating New Presets to the difference between input and output mixers. His knowledge is incredible, he knows the instrument inside out. We spent a considerable amount of time creating styles and accompaniments to suit my needs, we also loaded some of Bretts 60's styles and Klaus Wunderlich styles all of which were fantastic.

Brett went though some of my playing technique questions that were pretty basic I'm sure but as I said, I'm not a good player so this was great for me - how do you work out the chords for right hand? walking bass? and many more. Brett really is a nice guy and not intimidating, he works at your pace. So, if you need help with a Wersi organ or help in playing / composing, Brett is your man, highly recommended.

I have booked myself in to the Brett Wales Music Festival in Nottingham later this year, two of my favourite organists are there, Franz Lambert and of course Brett with more. I'm told it's a great long weekend with superb music and workshops given by the absolute masters of the craft. Come along, I'll buy you a drink and have a chat:

https://www.brettwalesmusicfestivals.com/

The day with Brett transformed the organ completely, he also gave me a much better understanding of the subtle differences in the Wersi way of doing things.

Regards - John
Organ: Wersi OAX 500
johnb2713
Active Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat