Which part of your keyboard do you use?

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Which part of your keyboard do you use?

Postby barwonfan » 12 Jan 2024 07:49

I recently watched a fellow member of this forum play a few songs. I was surprised to see him place his right hand much further up the keyboard than me.He did this every time he played a song. It sounded really good. I have now decided to follow his example and start my songs where he plays. For the past 65 years, I have started my songs on middle C ; or on one of the two or three notes above or below middle C. I don't think that he would ever do that.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Re: Which part of your keyboard do you use?

Postby dentyr » 13 Jan 2024 10:44

Again logic. If you are playing a song where one of the notes goes below the F2# then that note plays a “style” key. Example, play “He’ll have to go” then you need the F2 note for the song. So play in the upper octave as I do. Modify the keyboard with the Octave normal, up or down and use the transpose to get the song to sound nice. I may play a song using the notes of the C scale but the keyboard is set Octave -1 and the keyboard transposed 3 semitones up. The sound that comes out is in Eb,
Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby Ron » 17 Feb 2024 16:14

I use a twin keyboard setup which enables me to play a melody with my right hand anywhere on the keyboard. So, I do not have any octave problems from having a conventional set split point.

Ron
Twin setup: Tyros 3 and Yamaha Piaggero NP-11
Fretless Bass, Fender Bass amp: BXR300C, Trace Elliot Commando 100W

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
2022 September (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby MichaelW » 17 Feb 2024 18:21

Hello,

Which parts of the keyboard I use depends entirely on the song.

My Yamaha instruments could/can handle up to three keyboard splits: in extreme cases, on the far left for the automatic accompaniment, to the right for the "left part", then next to it for the parts "right1" and "right2" and then again a part of the keyboard only for the part "right3". Then things get tight.

But you can shift the voices of the individual parts by several octaves. And in addition, you can change all of these settings with each individual registration and adapt them to your own performance and needs.

This is why I use up to 50 registrations for some songs. I then often switch them using the MIDI baseboard.

I'm currently working on a track called "Dixie" in the Disney marching band style. I'm already at 40 registrations and still far from finished.
Best regards - Michael

I'm playing on a Yamaha Genos2 with a Viscount Legend (Hammond) Expander and on a Roland V-Accordion.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 November (Joint Winner)
MichaelW
Active Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat