Using A PA / Mixer With Keyboards

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Using A PA / Mixer With Keyboards

Postby NativeAngels » 04 Nov 2021 11:04

I’m wondering those of you who use a mixer / pa what is the master volume level you use for your line outs into a mixer, do you use stereo or mono line outs ?
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Re: Using A PA / Mixer With Keyboards

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 05 Nov 2021 09:55

Hi

Set master level to around 3/4 of maximum - I find this gives plenty of level to the mixer, much lower and the inevitable background noise creeps in, higher can reveal distortion that's not noticeable on the built-in speakers. If you're in a live performance situation feeding a sound desk at the rear of the auditorium you're better to invest in one (2 for stereo) DI boxes which convert the keyboard output to a balanced mic level signal to feed via a long cable to the desk. This is rarely needed in small situations or in the studio, where normal cables will be fine for the short runs involved.

Mono or stereo depends on the situation. For recording I normally go for stereo - image width & sound-stage position can be changed in the mixer or software if needed. Most large scale PA systems actually run in mono, so a mono feed might be adequate - but you will need to check that any effects you're using translate to mono - some things like panners, flanging and so on may disappear in mono, so check first. Otherwise, go for whatever you need to. A stereo sound system will, of course, need 2 speakers/amps & so on.

Good luck

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat