Garageband on the Ipad a Tutorial

Virtual Voices, Music & Music Apps

Garageband on the Ipad a Tutorial

Postby Brian007 » 23 Aug 2017 07:42

A tutorial on using Garageband on the Apple Ipad - Part 1

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: Garageband on the Ipad a Tutorial

Postby Hugh-AR » 29 Aug 2017 09:30

Brian,

This looks like something for the professional musician .. or for students learning music theory. The video above was not just 'Part 1', but had other parts rolled onto the end. Not sure about how one could use the touch 'mini keypad' on an iPad, other than for creating a DEMO track. In the last part they connect an actual keyboard and use that for playing, but it is not clear how many of the keyboard 'functions' Garageband would pick up (they demonstrate volume, and 'bend').

I have come across an 'updated' 2017 Tutorial on Garageband (which is nearly 25mins in length). It starts by saying that on any iPad bought after 2013 (or one that can be updated to ios8) the Garageband program may already be installed .. and if not, it can be downloaded for FREE.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 29 Aug 2017 11:55

Hi Hugh,

I have had my I pad about 6 months or so, and I had to download GarageBand separately but it was free,
Garageband is a fully fledged recording software, It takes a little figuring out initially what it can and can't do
and like anything apple does it's not that easy to grasp after years of working on a Windows PC but have to
say it makes it a pleasure to work with midi as it takes very little setting up and works first time everytime.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Sep 2017 14:29

Brian,

I have found two videos by Keith Adamson where he has used Garageband from his iPad to accompany his playing.

Yamaha PSR S970 midi'd to IOS GarageBand Organ

IPod Touch GarageBand Organ

Both these are very, very good recordings.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 01 Sep 2017 14:49

Hi Hugh,

Considering that Garageband is now free with all new Ipads ( via download I believe ) its a very capable recording program with a good number of free voices included in the program as standard plus you can use some of the built in drum loops for drum accompaniment and build up your song in very much the same way as you can using a full size workstation.

I may try and record a tune with it and will post it here ( if I succeed eventually )

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Sep 2017 17:22

Came across this on Youtube and while it may not be everyone's Idea or type of music
it just show what can be achieved on the Ipad and garageband, its basically sequencing, recording each track individually
but it does allow a lot of flexibility in what you can play

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Sep 2017 21:56

Brian,

That was a fantastic 'beat'! So the 'backing track' that is created is specific, with actual chords and notes? So it's like a 'karaoke backing track' and you would play your melody along with it? As you said, it is basically a 'sequencer' track where every part of the backing for the song has to be laid down in advance on a sort of 'time line'.

I can create 'backings' on my AR, and this is done by putting 'patterns' of notes into the various PARTS .. Bass; Chord 1; Chord 2; Pad; Phrase 1; Phrase 2 .. and it all has to be done 'in the key of C'. So eg. if you were to put into Chord 1 a repeating a piano chord for the song A Summer Place you would play C C C; C C C; C C C ; C C C; etc. Then when you played your song with chords C C C ; Am Am Am; Dm Dm Dm; G G G; the 'pattern' would be as you had recorded it, but the actual notes would be based on the chord played. This is a different concept to the YouTube video above, as you get 'repeating patterns' which can get very boring unless you bring PARTS 'in' and 'out' as you are playing .. or change the backing to something completely different.

Setting up a backing like the one in the YouTube clip above you could presumably play every bar as a 'real band' would .. so long as you knew in your head what every instrument would play, and when.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 11 Sep 2017 07:00

Hi Hugh,

Very similar to what you would do, but a lot more flexible

In theory, you would create one bar of of your basic drumbeat and then you would do what is called loop it, in plain english just set it to repeat for x number of bars
and you could create and add drum fills and rolls on another track as and where required, because you can just move its loops about independently of each other in your arrangement as they are all on separate tracks , you can have up to 32 Tracks I believe.

Rhythm tracks would be as you said just create one bar for each chord required, then loop and place where you want them in the arrangement by sliding into place

Same for any repeating riff or phrases in you arrangement. If you make a mistake when you make your first loop there is an editor ( similar to a piano roll ) to correct any errors, and finally either record your melody track or play it live along with the tracks you have previously recorded.

This is not for people that just like to sit down press a button and play along to a style, but having said that you could create your own backing track like this and play along.

It offers a lot of flexibility for people that are good at putting together arrangements but are not terribly good as live players.

I find it interesting in that you can do so much with so little, if your current instrument has midi out and you already have an Ipad for an outlay of £45.00 you have a 32 track recording studio already to use, and with a good choice of built in voices and drumbeats to start you off

I will put together a tutorial to show just what you need to connect any instrument with a midi out be it 5 pin din or usb type of connector to an Ipad

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Creating music with programming