Elizabethan Serenade

Any recordings you have done that could be described as Classical, please post in here.
Includes pieces one would only loosely call 'Classical' as they depart somewhat from what the composer intended.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Elizabethan Serenade

Postby ChuckH » 15 Mar 2018 22:02

Elizabethan Serenade is a light music composition by the British Composer Ronald Binge. When it was first played by the Mantovani orchestra in 1951, it was simply titled "Andante Cantabile", although the original orchestral manuscript parts in Ronald Binge's own hand show the title "The Man in the Street" (possibly the title of an early television documentary). The name was altered by the composer to reflect the post-war optimism of the "new Elizabethan Age" that began with the accession of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom in February 1952. She is now the UK's longest reigning monarch. Her 90th birthday was on 21st April 2016.
Cheers, Charles

https://app.box.com/s/qg548byot2yg8g5unnq0vo2rtt39tqsz
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner)
2019 August (Joint Winner); September Winner; November Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
ChuckH
Active Poster

Re: Elizabethan Serenade

Postby Brian007 » 16 Mar 2018 08:01

Hi Charles,

I have heard the tune before but never knew its title, also very interesting about how it was re-named to reflect the changing times
I enjoyed listening to it right the way through as I have never heard it all the way through,

Thanks for posting this piece as I did enjoy listening to it

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 16 Mar 2018 14:42

Hi Charles Ages since I have heard this one a nice relaxing piece,with some sounds to match. Enjoyed my listen John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 16 Mar 2018 21:19

Hi Charles,

Didn't know all hat .. about this piece. Love the bits where you have a harp as your accompaniment.

I did look up "What is classical music" and the definition was:

1. Serious music following long-established principles rather than a folk, jazz, or popular tradition.
2. (More specifically) music written in the European tradition during a period lasting approximately from 1750 to 1830, when forms such as the symphony, concerto, and sonata were standardised.

So your piece, as it was first played in 1951, definitely doesn't come under definition 2. But as a serious piece of music, and the way you have played it, I reckon it qualifies under definition 1.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Classical Corner