Johannus Organ

Keyboards and Organs not categorized above.

Moderator: andyg

Johannus Organ

Postby Mike Bracchi » 07 May 2017 10:07

New keyboard ... a real belter from Johannus ...

Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: A real belter from Johannus.

Postby Hugh-AR » 07 May 2017 22:10

Thanks Mike for posting these. For any of us who play church organ/orchestral/piano pieces the Johannus does have some lovely sounds. Particularly the second video, which is exclusively 'church organ'. Any church wanting to replace their ageing 'pipe organ' need look no further (so long as a good amplification system goes with it).

A while ago we had a pipe organ replaced at one of the churches here in Weston, and that was with a Johannus. Members of our organ club were invited to go along and watch them 'commissioning' it. A fascinating afternoon, as it took them several hours to do it. They explained that the organ had to be adjusted to the surroundings so it sounded right in every part of the church. For starters, they played us a series of bass notes on the pedals, and it was pretty obvious that one particular note 'resonated' in part of the church and it sounded as if someone was blowing across the top of a milk bottle (bad analogy as we don't have milk bottles any more). I'm sure you can imagine the echo and vibration caused as he hit that note. Could have broken the stained glass windows! So two things. They had to 'baffle' that area to make the echo not so pronounced; and reduce the volume of that one note on the organ. Once they had done that, every note sounded equal as he ran down the pedals (but I'm sure they wouldn't have sounded right in headphones .. you can't win!). I had no idea that setting up an organ in a church was so complicated.

If you listen to the second piece first, you will hear it end on a minor chord. And what happens in the first piece? Played in a minor key, you can quite clearly hear that that last chord is a major chord. That is called a 'Tierce de Picardie' ! :) :)

Mike .. I bet this is why you chose this video!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby tomtomsf » 07 May 2017 22:28

Oh! That's what this website's name means!!
:D :D :D
Tom G.
Tyros 4
tomtomsf
Active Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 08 May 2017 07:41

Hi

These single keyboard organs all have the same drawbacks, regardless of how good the sound is, and that's a lack of the flexibility that is offered by 2 manuals (or more) and pedals. I have a Viscount Cantorum V (a budget instrument) that I use at church because we currently don't have an organ. It's adequate for hymns & simple stuff, but the pedals dept. is tied to playing the lowest note played on the keyboard - unless you go too high, when the pedal disappears. If you want solo & accompaniment you need to set up a split. Yes, you can plug in a MIDI keyboard & pedals and configure it to use them - but that does rather negate the portability, and on the Viscount there's no provision for couplers, and just 3 pedal stops.

It does the job I bought it for - and is pretty light & easy to transport, but in no way is it a replacement for a decent pipe organ (or even a good digital). It's horses for courses again!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 08 May 2017 08:14

Hugh-AR wrote:Mike .. I bet this is why you chose this video!

Hugh

I wish I was that alert at 11 o'clock in the morning :lol:
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Return to Other Keyboards and Organs