Genos Auto-power off

The new Yamaha Genos 'top of the range' Workstation.

Genos Auto-power off

Postby Brian007 » 03 Dec 2017 18:22

Posting from another forum

Let me get right to the point. As you know I bought a Genos two weeks ago and it exceeded my expectations. A really great keyboard for sure.
Well, two days ago I experienced a problem with my Genos to which there is no solution other than shipping it up to Yamaha for repair and I wanted to relay the information to other people who own the Genos so they can be aware of the situation and avoid it at all costs. What am I talking about?
Okay, here it is.

You are no doubt aware of the Auto Power Off function on the Genos. Over at PSR Tutorial there is a big write up on the topic where the Auto Power Off function on the Genos does not work properly. The situation I was facing was not that the Auto Power Function wouldn't power off the Genos at a set time but that the Auto Power Off function worked when it wasn't supposed to work. What do I mean? I was in the process of transferring files (midi and style files) from a USB thumb drive to the Genos USER drive. Now according to the manual it says when there is activity going on e.g. playing the keyboard and/or transferring files back and forth on the keyboard itself the Genos is supposed to stay on even though the Auto Power Off is set to a specific time to go off.

During the transfer of files to the USER drive my Genos suddenly turned off. I realized what had happened after I returned from doing something and the Genos was off. Realizing this shouldn't have happened I turned the Genos back on and noticed the folders of the files had transferred to the USER drive but when I touched the folders the files themselves did not show up. Okay, so I deleted the folders and proceeded again to transfer the files again to the USER flash drive. Again, the folders transferred okay but the files themselves still did not show up within the folders. I went ahead and called Yamaha US up in Buena Park, CA. - which is not too far from where I live by the way. I spoke to a nice gentleman, no, not Steve Deming and he said the files were likely corrupted which is what I suspected also. He said to copy a fresh set of files (ones that were not corrupted that were on the USB drive) to the Genos USER drive again and see what happens. After that piece of advice I told him I would do so and if I still experienced the problem I could always call back.

Still no go. The folders showed up but the files themselves did not.

Okay, so I purchased a new USB thumb drive, same model from the same manufacturer i.e. Samsung. What had happened was the previous thumb drive had itself become corrupted. So I put the files on the new thumb drive and proceeded to transfer the files again to the Genos USER drive. Unfortunately the same scenario played out. The folder(s) would transfer onto the USER drive but the files themselves would still not show up within the folder(s).

Okay, this is serious folks.

What had happened was the Genos USER Drive became corrupted also and the only remedy was to replace the USER drive on the Genos. I asked the Yamaha tech if it was possible for me to buy a new drive and replace it myself and he said no, the flash memory drive is attached (hard wired) to the mainboard essentially and was not replaceable by someone other than Yamaha. To make a long story short I had no other choice but to return my Genos to GC for a refund. It's a good thing too because if I had waited three more days I wouldn't have been able to return it. I explained the situation to the Guitar Center store manager and he agreed to refund the whole amount.

So I wanted to give Genos owners a heads up about the potential serious condition so other Genos owners won't experience the same situation I had encountered. Again, the Genos was NOT supposed to shut off when activity was going on on the keyboard itself. In fact, I had the wireless LAN on the Genos connected to my router and that little bit of signal variation kept the Genos from going off even though the Auto Power Off feature was set to go off at a specific time. I obviously presumed the Genos would not go off when transferring files to and from the Genos but I was wrong. You've heard of Tesla cars "bricking" themselves when the battery on them drains completely? The only remedy in that situation is replacing the battery at the tune of tens of thousands of dollars.

At this point I think I'll put my Genos ambition on hold until Yamaha addresses the situation and provides a solution. If I purchase another Genos I would definitely disable the Auto Power Off feature until I had assurances from Yamaha that the matter was resolved. But until that time I'll probably hold off or just wait until Genos 2 which will hopefully resolve the polyphony anomaly. Do you realize that the Yamaha P-255 keyboard has "256" note polyphony allocated across the ENTIRE RANGE OF THE KEYBOARD and it only costs $1,299? Yet the $5,499.99 Genos only has 128 note polyphony for the preset voices and 128 note polyphony for the expansion voices? Sad, very sad.

Have a great weekend, what's left of it
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: Genos Auto-power off

Postby Eileen » 29 Dec 2017 18:07

Hi Brian,
I notice the member did not say what was in the folders. If he was looking for styles but had not pressed the style button first then of course the file would have been empty. Seems a little strange that the Genos turning off would corrupt a drive or a USB. More likely to lose content than corrupt it. What was the conclusion to this problem.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 29 Dec 2017 20:17

Hi Eileen,

To be honest I don't really know, as there is so much going on in the Genos camp I can't really keep up with it, and as I don't have one it seems a little pointless to try

Seasons greetings , Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 03 Jan 2018 15:10

Genos is a really lovely keyboard but some forums have just gone completely mad with there comments of which a lot are plain user error
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 05 Jan 2018 08:36

Hi Eileen,

From what I have read, it would seem that the Genos does things in a certain way and that may not be the
way Yamaha has done in the past, and its causing a few problems for a few people, other than that it seems a
nice enough keyboard and only time will tell as it still very early days yet.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 21 Jan 2018 13:22

The operating system is mostly the same as most Yamaha keyboards. There is a small learning curve because with touch screen things are accessed in a different way but once used to this it is a lot quicker to use. Having a very large User memory now instead of hard drive works very well and also having the flash memory for sample sounds so no need to buy or fit one.
All round Genos is a very nice instrument and a vast improvement in sound quality. The styles also sound great.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Return to Yamaha Genos Workstation