Blue Smoke - NZ's first record

This board is for music videos that you have really enjoyed watching. Post anything you come across in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Blue Smoke - NZ's first record

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Jun 2018 00:10

MargaretD has played this piece as a duet, here:

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6423

This is what she had to say about it:
In February 1949 a 78 rpm disc featuring the song ‘Blue smoke’, written by Ruru Karaitiana and sung by Pixie Williams, became the first record wholly produced in New Zealand from composition to pressing. It was a hit-seller for the New Zealand TANZA record label.

Karaitiana served in the Middle East with the N.Z. Maori Battalion. He wrote 'Blue smoke' while on the troop ship Aquitania, in 1940 off the coast of Africa, when a friend drew his attention to some passing smoke.
Back in New Zealand, he assembled a quintet and in October 1948, produced the first version which topped N.Z. radio hit parades.

First words of the song:
"Blue smoke goes drifting by, into the deep blue sky
And when I think of home I sadly sigh....."

I have been looking for references to this piece on YouTube, and have found a video where they caught up with the "dreamy Hawaiian guitar player" from the original recording, Jim Carter. First off there is a bit of the history behind the song, and then it is played and sung. Listen right through to the end, as later on there is a 'steel guitar' playing, and that sound is just gorgeous to listen to.

This one is the original recording of Pixie Williams singing it on the Tanza record label.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Music Videos Member's Choice