Hints for when browsing the TDP Forum

This board is for music videos that you have really enjoyed watching. Post anything you come across in here.

Hints for when browsing the TDP Forum

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Jan 2018 17:10

Most of us have mobile phones/iPads/tablets. On these devices, whenever you want to leave what you are looking at there is a 'button' you can press that will take you straight back to the screen you see when you switch the device ON. You can then, from this 'home' page, move on to something else.

You can do something similar with the Forum. Wherever you are, when you are done with what you are looking at/posting, click on Board index. This can be found at the top of the screen, or scroll down to the very bottom and you will see Board index there too. This will take you back to the Index page and you can navigate to somewhere else from there.

Hugh
Image Yamaha AR 80 Player
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Hints for when browsing the TDP Forum

Postby Hugh-AR » 16 Jan 2018 20:03

I was wanting to listen again to Ajay's Sleighride, but couldn't find it anywhere in the Christmas 2017 list. But I knew he had had posted it! Took me a while to realise that there was a Page 2. And there it was, all on it's own. If there had been one more entry my Away In A Manger would have joined it.

Moral of this story: When viewing posts/topics always check to see if there is a Page 2.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 18 Jan 2018 21:56

When you see a LINK in a post, if you left-click it you will leave the page you are viewing and be taken to the LINK page. This is a pain as you no longer have access to the topic you were viewing. And to get back to the page you were viewing you have to click the 'back button', top left of screen.

So instead, do a right-click and choose Open link in new tab (left-click that option). This will put the new topic in a tab at the top of the screen without taking you away from the page you are viewing. You then click on this Tab at the top to view the new topic .. and can go to the page you were originally viewing by clicking on that tab at the top. Toggle between the two to switch from one to the other.

This is particularly important when LINKing to MUSIC, as then, once you have started the music going, you can switch back to read the comments on the music, and even put a comment by clicking on POSTREPLY at the bottom whilst still listening to the music. I have tried to remember to put a comment above each music LINK to remind you to do this.

I have Rev Tony Newnham to thank for putting me right on this one.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Feb 2018 22:44

When you visit the Home Page, look at the icons to the left. A red ring (O) round an icon indicates that there are posts in that Board that you haven't yet read. Trouble is, there will be loads of posts you haven't yet read, particularly if you have just joined the Forum! You will probably get round to reading most of them over a period of time, or at any rate glancing at them briefly, but what about what is going on now, and the new posts that are going up? Best get rid of those red rings right now and when the red rings next appear they will be a good indicator of the 'here and now'.

Go to a Board, eg. the Performances Board, and look above the list of topics, on the right. You will see Mark topics read. Click on these words. Bang! Red rings gone. Then the next time anybody adds a comment to a post it will indicate that this has happened by a red ring on the left. So clicking on that topic will keep you up to date with what is going on now. Incidentally, if you haven't noticed this before, when anybody 'Replies' to a topic, it shoots that topic up to the top of the list.

Now go to another Board, eg. Classical Corner. Again, click on those words Mark topics read. Again, red rings gone so you will know when you visit the Home Page when anything new is posted.

Repeat with all the other Boards that you want to mark as "read".

NB. I have just noticed that there is a "Mark forums read" top right of the Home Page, so if you did want to carry out the above for all the Boards, that is the quickest way to do it. Click on that.

Hugh

PS. If you are a 'Guest' or a 'Visitor', you won't see any red rings on the left. If you are not a Registered Member the 'system' can't tell if you have visited these posts before or not. It doesn't know who you are! So if you are enjoying browsing this Forum as a 'Guest', why not join? You can be a lot more organised with browsing topics if you are a Member. And, of course, have access to all the Boards .. and post Replies, or start New Topics.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Feb 2018 15:24

None of us are experts at everything, and I have learnt something today. Those 'red circles' I have referred to above only appear on 'New Posts' since the date you joined. All the posts you have not read prior to when you joined have a 'blue' ring. Thanks TerryR for pointing this out to me.

When I first joined TDP I didn't really look at much for about a year, so of course when I did eventually spend some time on the site I had loads of 'red rings' showing .. all those posts that were put up over that year since I had joined. And I couldn't understand why some posts I knew I hadn't looked at had a blue ring.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Feb 2018 18:22

When you visit the Home Page you will see these statements at the top of the page:

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics

I would not recommend that you click on any of these in order to view the Forum. For starters, this is a Forum, not a page of FAQ .. frequently asked questions, with the answers .. for some website or product. Mosts posts in our Forum are 'informative' so it's not surprising if these posts are not replied to. Unread and New Posts might look an attractive way to go as these will be the latest contributions to the Forum. But seriously, if you go this way you will miss out on so much else that may be of interest to you. The whole point of a Forum is that it is organised into 'compartments' (Boards) covering so many aspects of our hobby. If you look at the top of the Home Page we call ourselves the Keyboard Music Forum.

So when you visit, glance at some of the other topics that may interest you, and not just the most recent contributions. And the most recent ones will show up anyway as 'red rings' on the left, as described above.

Happy surfing!

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Music Videos Member's Choice