Specially for Kens .. Ave Maria

This board is for music videos that you have really enjoyed watching. Post anything you come across in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Specially for Kens .. Ave Maria

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Aug 2017 08:53

The National Philharmonic Orchestra have been playing at our Playhouse Theatre in Weston-super-Mare . One of the pieces they played was Ave Maria .. by Schubert. Now I hadn't realised that there are two "Ave Marias", both equally well known .. the one by Schubert and the other by Gounod/Bach. Whenever I hear either of these I think it is the same one ... and when I have heard one can't remember how the other goes!

Below is the Schubert version. It's performed by Celine Dion and is a beautiful interpretation.

And below is the Bach/Gounod version. The "backing" to this was a Prelude in C by Bach .. and the Ave Maria melody that "sits on top" was composed by Gounod.

Kiri Te Kanawa - Ave Maria (Bach/Gounod)

Piano version:

And the the below is a very clever rendition of this version by Bobby McFerrin who "sings" the backing and gets the audience to sing the melody.

My 'Schubert' version of Ave Maria is here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5138

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Specially for Kens .. Ave Maria

Postby papadeedee » 28 Aug 2017 11:38

Hi Hugh,
I played the Prelude firstly and then I played the Gounad melody over it. So done in two stages.
Ave Maria - Underneath is an explanation of how the Bach/Gounad version came about.

Post by papadeedee » 17 Feb 2015 22:32

I've had this one on the back burner for a while now and finally got round to doing it tonight.
The Piano piece is actually "Prelude in C Major" from a well tempered Clavier by J.S. Bach, written in 1722. Gounod fitted his melody to Ave Maria around the Bach prelude somewhere around 1859.

https://app.box.com/s/sexcd1ih0hohiu8dvzwmckdmg3fu6tqp
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Aug 2017 17:05

That's a gap of 137 years! So Bach never knew that Gounod had done this with his music.

Brian .. you have put these two 'parts' together brilliantly. I shouldn't think it's easy to play one part without the other playing at the same time. Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 28 Aug 2017 18:50

Hugh,
I played the prelude and saved it to the memory. I then played it back and played the melody on top.
Even though I could hear the prelude, it was still very difficult adding the melody on top.
If I remember correctly, it had a lot of double dotted notes.
Brian
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Return to Music Videos Member's Choice