North East keyboard club 14/5

Any information/reports about Clubs & Societies in your area, please post in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

North East keyboard club 14/5

Postby JohnT » 15 May 2018 07:20

Hi Everyone Another good night with 11 members present. Thanks to Les, GeorgeR and JT who brought keyboards. Eight members played(GeorgeR,GeorgeW,jT, Les,Bobby, JonD, Billy,Clem) a wide selection of tunes.
The next night is Band night books 4 and 5. on Monday 21,5.
The next theme night is Monday 4th June and it is waltzes.
Hope to see you there. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Re: North East keyboard club 14/5

Postby Hugh-AR » 16 May 2018 07:59

John,

All I can say is that this is very reminiscent of our Weston-super-Mare Organ and Keyboard Club in it's early days. We used to meet in a Church Hall, and people would bring their Keyboards. I had a Casio Keyboard (no Rhythm unit) and a Yamaha Keyboard (with a Rhythm unit), which was polyphonic, but when you 'split' the keyboard the left of the split was still polyphonic (it had to be, to play chords!), but the right of the split was only monophonic. And the 'Memory Cards' to store your set-ups on were about £30 each!

Now, of course, none of us play at our meetings and we have a professional organist come and play to us every month. It looks as though this will carry on for at least another year or so as the Artistes have already been booked and paid for. But our Membership is getting fewer and fewer (none of us are getting any younger!) and the younger generation don't seem interested in organs or keyboards. I remember the days when we had Yamaha and Technics Music Schools for youngsters, and they used to hire our Playhouse Theatre once a year and give a concert to show off their skills at playing keyboards. Days long gone. They all play 'Mobile Phones' now.

But there is nothing like a group of keyboard players getting together and passing on to others things they have found out about playing their keyboards, and there's nothing like watching somebody else play to get ideas of things one can do. I see that JonD is in your club. I hope you have all noted how Jon uses the 'expression pedal' to 'lift' his music. A sort of 'kick back' on the 'on-beat'.

So just enjoy the camaraderie of your club, and long may it continue!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: North East keyboard club 14/5

Postby JohnT » 16 May 2018 12:54

Hi Hugh. Thought I had lost the community notice board but see you have given it a more profile look. Thank you for your comments much appreciated. Yes numbers do dwindle because of your reasons. However we had a few new members this year that appreciate what we are doing. Both playing and swapping information about our instruments and music. Picking up the odd tip. The crack (talk and jokes etc. ) Is always good. A good couple of hours or more.
We have a bonus of a couple of ex club players. JonD with his great swing styles always a good listen when playing either Tyros or Kn7000. Bob Cowie also is an excellent turn. He doesn’t have computer and doesn’t post. I may get him to play and post it.
We also have MikeG a TDP member who plays and sings at the young age of 89. A treat to listen to. He has given me a cd and along with JonD they are regularly played in the car on the way to the golf course. Although it makes me quite envious of their performances. But as JOHN says if it was easy Everyone would be doing it.
However it would be a mistake not to mention all our members who put lots of effort into playing and entertaining us with their music, different styles sounds arrangements.
It’s a pleasure to be involved with such a talented group of like minded people. Long may it continue.
Thanks again for the comments and all the best to you. Keep up the hard work and dedication much appreciated. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Return to Clubs & Societies