Disco It!

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Disco It!

Postby tucsondave » 22 Jan 2018 13:47

Here's a theme challenge that we did over on the Lowrey forum a while back. Take any song and destroy it... I mean play it with a disco rhythm.
Relive the 70's on your 21st century keyboard! Disco lives forever!!! :D

td
tucsondave
Novice Poster

Re: Disco It!

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Jan 2018 00:15

Not sure that I should be 'bopping' at my age, but I'll give it a go.

One that comes to mind is one we played in the Scottish Country Dance Band I was in. Piano Accordion, Drums and Piano (me). The piano was more often than not 'out of tune', and the keys 'stuck' when I played them, but eased off as the evening wore on. The village halls we ended up in were often damp! We played for weddings (in the 1960s every wedding in Scotland would hire a Scottish Country Dance Band) and started the evening off with Traditional Scottish Dancing. Then later in the evening it was the turn of the youngsters who expected us to play 'Rock 'n Roll'.

This number is from 1964. Del Shannon - Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow The Sun).

Had fun using the slow/fast Leslie speaker in this one.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 23 Jan 2018 08:53

Hi Hugh,

That's very good, I did enjoy it very much, not that much of a disco fan but do like a challenge
will see if I can find a Disco style on this Korg, I dont think I have even looked in the dance section
worth a try

Brian007 :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby tucsondave » 23 Jan 2018 15:04

Hey Hugh, that was horrible! :D Exactly what I had in mind. Take a good song and destroy it with a disco beat. But don't worry I won't start a rap challenge.
Here's my entry which I call "Disco in Space."
(2001, Star Wars, Star Trek, Close Encounters, 2001)

https://app.box.com/s/hh8wq820aeq1pr3x5lv6k0gs0ncplbdg
tucsondave
Novice Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Jan 2018 02:23

Dave,

A great adaptation of the 2001: A Space Odyssey Theme song. You had that 'beat' going right through. Nice change to a 'choir' voice in the middle, and then some church organ at the end.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Jan 2018 02:34

Going back to my original post, Del Shannon's Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow The Sun) from 1964, this 'Challenge' has inspired me to make a Video of it for YouTube .. which I have done, using Movie Maker. Doing that really was a 'challenge'! And fun to do!

If you go back to my original post you will see that I have removed the Box LINK and put the YouTube video up in it's place.

viewtopic.php?f=232&t=5971#p38761

Thanks Dave for starting this topic. If you hadn't done that, I would never even have thought of doing a video based on 'Disco'.

Hugh

PS. My topic on using Movie Maker is here:

viewtopic.php?f=317&t=5446
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 24 Jan 2018 12:17

Hi Hugh NIce disco beat had my feet tapping but not a disco dancer. Liked the video I have never done one perhaps I should have a word with our producer designer and general dogs body 007 for hielp. Enjoyed it. John

Hi Dave Enjoyed my listen. Like Brian not into disco music out of my comfort zone. If I have time I will try one. Keep them coming.John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Jan 2018 17:30

While I am on the dancing, and still have the inspiration to make a video, here is another one along the same lines. As I have said, it's very satisfying to find some video footages that fit the music you have recorded.

Disco Medley: Five Foot Two (Eyes Of Blue); Let's Twist Again; Yes, My Darling Daughter.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Peter S » 09 Feb 2018 09:46

Ahh disco, my favourite era and genre..seriously!

Well done Dave, especially loved Star Trek
Disco’d.

Beam me up!
Keep the music playing!
Peter S
Active Poster

Postby JohnT » 09 Feb 2018 13:33

Hi Hugh. Lovely disco medley. Certainly had my feet tapping. Don’t think I could dance as fast as that but enjoyed the video. Nice selection of sounds. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Westgarth » 09 Feb 2018 21:00

Hi All

Well I've listened and watched all the entries and it would be rude to leave without a comment.

Sorry Dave but I laughed all the way through. You definitely killed those tunes with that beat, it was brilliant!

Your first video was doing well Hugh until the last 10 seconds, how did the Heavy Metal Band slip in there. Definitely not disco. Nil points.

Your final video Hugh, was the biggest loser. It was too good, The songs worked great with the beat and the video sync was amazing.

Dave wins but I'm going to watch Five Foot Two again.
Regards

Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Return to Themes