Tunes beginning with "B"

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Billy The Kid

Postby KRUG » 10 Jan 2017 09:21

https://app.box.com/s/3eod6nfktmq1amea8msf99wn9uzo3jf3

Billy The Kid
Words and Music by Woody Guthrie

I'll tell you the story of Billy the Kid,
And I'll tell of the things that this young outlaw did
Say out in the west when the country was young
When a gun was your law and your law was your gun

Now the Mexican maidens liked Billy so well
How many he had, no expert could tell
While singing and drinking he come to his end
Shot down by Pat Garrett who once was his friend

Pat Garrett rode up to the window that night
And the desert was still and the moonlight was bright
And he listened awhile as the Kid told his tale
Of shooting the guard at the Las Cruces jail

You sweet Mexican maidens, come give me your hand
At the age of sixteen I killed my first man
It was out in New Mexico, long long ago
When a man's only chance was his old .44

I rode down the border and robbed in Juarez
I drank to the maidens, the happiest of days
My picture is posted from Texas to Maine
And women and riding and robbing's my game

On the same night that young Billy died
He said to his friends, "I just ain't satisfied.
There's twenty-one men that I've put bullets through
And the sheriff of this county's gonna make twenty-two."

Pat Garrett then fired and his thumb-buster cracked
And Billy fell dead, he was blowed through the back
Pat rode away and the Kid's laying dead
And this was the last song of Billy the Kid

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Bright Eyes

Postby KRUG » 11 Jan 2017 10:34

https://app.box.com/s/n6bvwzvf7h044xbfml2dgl2kr2r1nufz

"Bright Eyes" is a song written by Mike Batt and performed by Art Garfunkel. It was used in the soundtrack of the 1978 British animated adventure drama film Watership Down and as such is considered the theme song of the film and the later television series also titled Watership Down. The track appears on UK and European versions of Garfunkel's 1979 Fate for Breakfast and on the US versions of his 1981 album Scissors Cut. It was the biggest selling single of 1979 in the UK.
Written by Mike Batt for Watership Down at the request of director Martin Rosen, the song relates to the transition from life to death. This is highlighted by Hazel, a rabbit character in the film, initially when wounded by a farmer's gun. Finally, at the end of the short animal life-span, Hazel (then Hazel-rah) departs his body and enters a spirit world.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Re: Tunes beginning with "B"

Postby Brian007 » 11 Jan 2017 10:43

Hi Keith ,

well voiced and played but such a sad piece of music, cant help thinking about those poor Rabbits

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Bridal Chorus

Postby KRUG » 12 Jan 2017 10:22

https://app.box.com/s/rphn0w66v5e1m9vnki3i5hqt3inv9hbd

Bridal Chorus from Lohengrin (Wagner)

This is the standard wedding march played as the bride walks down the aisle at weddings. It came from Wagner's opera Lohengrin, where it was used in a wedding scene between the characters Elsa and Lohengrin. In the opera, the marriage is doomed to fail.
This is usually played on an organ with no vocal accompaniment, but in Wagner's opera, there were words that went along with it. It is sung by the bridal party after the wedding.
Wagner was notoriously anti-Semitic. As a result, the song is rarely played at Jewish weddings.
There are 2 wedding marches that are used all over the world: this and Felix Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" (like Wagner, Mendelssohn was from Germany, but he was Jewish). These two pieces became a tradition for weddings that started with Victoria, Queen of England... she chose Wagner's one for the entrance of the bride and the Mendelssohn one for the exit of the couple. In modern times it is normally used the other way around.

Starting on Sunday 15th January the theme for tunes will be any tune but played with a violin as the lead instrument. Thing Nigel Kennedy playing any type of music you fancy be it folk, jazz, pop etc.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 12 Jan 2017 13:42

Hi Keith,

A nice performance of that tune which you played well and I have to say I have heard it played a lot wores at weddings I have benn to :lol: :lol:

So if you looking for some weddings I will put a few feelers out on your behalf :lol:

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 13 Jan 2017 11:12

https://app.box.com/s/47bh01cuuo34oz0p4zgdg4kizmz9bnmi

This song is from 101 Stage and Screen Hits. It is called “Bambi” with music by Paul Smith and lyrics by Larry Morey and Walt Disney owns the copyright.
I remember the film because as an infant I was so saddened by it that it made me cry but I have no memory of ever having heard this tune at all. I have done a search on the web and can find no reference to it so it is a bit of a mystery.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 14 Jan 2017 09:58

https://app.box.com/s/br1ze0rclsqggua923lfyl7nrkgkbv4c

"They Didn't Believe Me" is a song with music by Jerome Kern and lyrics by Herbert Reynolds.

First introduced in the 1914 musical The Girl from Utah it was one of five numbers added to the show by Kern and Reynolds for its Broadway debut at the Knickerbocker Theatre on August 14, 1914.
The timing of the song's arrival (the outbreak of World War I) meant that it was one of many songs adapted by soldiers in the trenches- on this occasion an ironic take on the allegedly 'easy' life in the trenches. It is featured in that form (retitled "We'll Never Tell Them") at the end of Richard Attenborough's 1969 film Oh! What a Lovely War.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 14 Jan 2017 13:32

Hi Keith,

An nice version of that classic tune and with some interesting voices also. Thanks for all the info its not always that you get to learn about the origin of the songs
well played

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Jan 2017 23:59

Tunes beginning with a B ...

I have one here .. but it begins with L!

La Mer

https://app.box.com/s/lg8wpn5hq1nk60rgeqypxas9pqfql3rb

This should fit the criteria, as Keith has put it up as 'Beyond The Sea'. What I find interesting here is how you can get two completely different sounding versions of the same song depending on the rhythm one is using.

Keith .. I like your version with just a 'straight' beat to it. Goodness knows what I was doing in my version!

So you don't have to scroll back and look for it, here is Keith's 'Beyond The Sea' below:

https://app.box.com/s/6tuc3mneraesk147w1khtj8fqnflpz64

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 24 Jan 2017 08:41

Hi Hue,

Yes your right same song different title and slightly different rhythm, amazing
well played and voiced Hugh,

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 24 Jan 2017 13:35

Very nice Hugh, keep them coming. :D :D :D
Did you go to Fort William and take the trip on the train to Mallaig yet and if so, did you enjoy it ?
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 24 Jan 2017 19:17

Hi Hugh. Nice version. Not sure of the background sounds, maybe the sound of the sea. Enjoyable listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 25 Jan 2017 01:25

Hi Brian (papadeedee),

I shouldn't really be putting this posting here, but will do so this time in response to the question you have asked .. and hope the Moderator is OK with this! (Shan't make a habit of putting up postings like this!)

Your advice re: the viaduct and the trip to Mallaig was really helpful .. and we did do it. As it was a 'charter train', the driver stopped in the middle of the viaduct for about 10 mins and allowed us to open all the windows, lean out of the train and take photographs. Below is one I took of the train on the viaduct.

We stayed three nights in Fort William. What a charming little town! Very modern. We also took a coach trip to Sky, and Tobermory (photo below). Not keen on coaches! Give me a train any day!

Really enjoyed our 'organised' train excursion from Weston-super-Mare to Fort William (all meals on the train with 'Silver Service', provided by 'The Frying Scotsmen') and would do it again if the opportunity arose.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 25 Jan 2017 11:15

It looks lovely hugh,
I'm sure Mike won't mind but the lounge is a better board to post and indeed, if you have more photos, stick them up as I
enjoy looking. Maybe we could get a photo theme running in the lounge.
It looks like you had a wonderful time. The sail over to Mull is a treat as well. :D :D
Cheers,
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to Themes