New Theme .. something with a 'Scottish' flavour

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Re: New Theme .. something with a 'Scottish' flavour

Postby KRUG » 29 Sep 2016 20:30

Thanks to Brian, Hugh and John for listening and commenting.

Sir Henry "Harry" Lauder (/ˈlɔːdər/; 4 August 1870 – 26 February 1950)[1] was a Scottish music hall and vaudeville theatre singer and comedian, and a substantial landowner.

He was perhaps best known for his long-standing hit "I Love a Lassie" and for his international success. He was described by Sir Winston Churchill as "Scotland's greatest ever ambassador!"[2][3][4] He became a familiar world-wide figure promoting images like the kilt and the cromach (walking stick) to huge acclaim, especially in America. Other songs followed, including "Roamin' in the Gloamin", "A Wee Deoch-an-Doris", and "The End of the Road".

By 1911, Lauder had become the highest-paid performer in the world, and was the first Scottish artist to sell a million records. He raised vast amounts of money for the war effort during World War I, for which he was subsequently knighted in 1919. He went into semi-retirement in the mid-1930s, but briefly emerged to entertain troops in World War II. By the late-1940s he was suffering from long periods of ill-health and died in Scotland in 1950.

I have posted the above because you may know as little about Harry Lauder as I did. I found the music in a book of music hall songs and thought that it fit the bill. I have played three verses for you. The first has a breathy sax lead, the second accordion and the third just for the comedy the bass end of a guitar.

I Hope that you enjoy something different as you go "Roamin in the Gloamin."

https://app.box.com/s/v7jsxbnnf0nme8ojioikdlq888euymj3

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 30 Sep 2016 08:29

Hi Keith,

I have never heard that for ages, in fact the last time I heard that I was still at school :shock:
So certainly a blast from the past for me there, I did enjoy it and the voices you used fit the bill.

Brian007 :shock: :shock:
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 30 Sep 2016 08:52

Hi Keith Another good Scottish number. Do you think we will ever run out ? Enjoyed the style and selection of sounds. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 30 Sep 2016 10:01

Thanks for the comments (Hugh, John and Brian). In answer to John's question I suspect that most people have already run out of ideas as they are not posting. Brian and I have had a chat so a new Challenge is about to be posted.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 Jul 2017 09:38

I should maybe have put this up in Music Videos Member's Choice, but Something with a 'Scottish' flavour seemed more appropriate. This video is a Demonstration of a Scottish 'Mega Pack' for the Tyros 5. I was really struck with the sounds it gets and it brought back many happy memories of my time in Scotland (Dundee) and the band I played with.

The pack is priced at £139 so probably a bit over the top just to get those sounds.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to Themes