New Theme .. something with a 'Scottish' flavour

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Re: New Theme .. something with a 'Scottish' flavour

Postby JohnT » 22 Sep 2016 20:47

Hi Keith Enjoyed my listen Not one I can remember, nice sounds and style.John

Hi Peter A lovely listen with what seemed like piped bands.It suited the tune. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 22 Sep 2016 23:59

Keith .. Another amazing piece of music from you, with a story to go with it which sets the whole atmosphere for the piece as you listen. This is the second time I have had to have two pages open for the Tierce de Picardie website, one to hear your recording from Box and the other to read your explanation of what is going on as the piece progresses. As I said earlier, I only have to do this because the LINK to Box doesn't open up in a 'New Window'.

A while ago I bought some new headphones for both my computer and my AR organ. The ones attached to my computer are Sony and are described as having 'Extra Bass'. These are great for listening to music as the bass is enhanced, and I do love a good bass (don't use these on my AR as it would influence the settings I have set up for the bass). Why am I bringing all this up? Because when listening to your Highland Cathedral piece I was completely blown away by the organ bass pedals (you did say to use some decent headphones). You must surely have selected 32' bass for this one. I have not heard such a dynamic bass before on anything I have listened to.

John T .. Another truly 'Scottish' melody, so thanks for posting this.

Peter .. That too is an amazing piece of music, played in 'classical style'. Your changes in registration make one feel you have a full orchestra and choir at your fingertips. Loved it.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 23 Sep 2016 08:33

Hi Keith,

A very emotive piece which you played well, with some suitable voices for the piece
and a good build up at the end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John T.

A good choice, which you played and voiced well, and a good contribution to this Theme.

Brian007 8) 8)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 23 Sep 2016 10:05

Hi John, Well done in finding the time to record such a pleasant piece from Scotland. It really fit the bill and I know that it is difficult with grandchildren to look after.

Hi Peter, I enjoyed your orchestral production of Highlander. I do not think that I have ever seen the film or heard the piece before. Perhaps you could record us something appropriate on one of your current instruments.

Thanks to you all for your comments on Highland Cathedral. Hugh, I made two registrations for that piece. The first registration used a Sub Bass16ft Hb and for the second I cheated and used a bagpipe way out of its range. I think that the Hb probably stands for something like "haut bois" or high wood. It is often used to signify that it is a reed instrument such as an oboe. I am glad that you used headphones. It seems a shame to buy instruments costing thousands and listen through something like a lap top's speakers. Even cheap headphones are so much better.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 24 Sep 2016 09:43

I am glad that so many of you listened to, and hopefully enjoyed, Highland Cathedral. Particular thanks to those who left comments.

This old Scottish song dates from the Baroque/Classical period of western music. William Glen (1789-1826) wrote the words and set them to a much earlier tune which was probably from the Baroque period.
The many verses tell the story of Bonnie Prince Charlie and begin:

A wee bird cam’ to our ha’ door,
He warbled sweet and clearly,
An’ aye the o’er came o’ his sang,
Was “Wae’s me for Prince Charlie!”
Oh! When I heard the bonnie, bonnie bird,
The tears cam’ drappin rarely,
I took my bonnet aff my head,
For weel I lo’ed Prince Charlie.

In the last verse the bird tells of the coming of the redcoats and of Prince Charlie going into hiding and exile.

I first of all played this on bagpipes, accordion etc. but finally decided to go back to the baroque period. So the setting is a large Scottish castle where the laird can afford to have an orchestra play at his dances. The orchestra is definitely local and different verses feature sections of the orchestra. The song is played freely to accommodate the words.

Translation - "Wae's me" = woe is me "ha' door" = hall door - you should be able to guess the rest.

I hope that you enjoy "Wae's Me For Prince Charlie."

https://app.box.com/s/j5xr9tvldws5da7ccwbzcurrsdhegwrq

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 24 Sep 2016 12:54

Hi Keith. Again not one I know. Thanks for the background information very useful. Liked the variation of sounds. Kept me interested. Pity other members of the site don't join in with tunes or commenting. It would give us more understanding of how others play and perhaps helpful advice. However enjoyed my listen. Off to Stadium of light to see what performance can be done there. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Peter S » 24 Sep 2016 13:13

Hi all

Thank you for your recordings, I enjoyed listening to them ALL, but don't have the time always to comment on each individually.

I do appreciate and thank you for any comments on my recordings, but Please don't feel that you have to always comment on mine, Its nice, but I won't be offended if you don't :-)

Kind regards to all

Peter S
Keep the music playing!
Challenge Winner
Peter S
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Sep 2016 13:23

Again, two 'windows' open for Keith's "Wae's Me For Prince Charlie". This is the type of music they would play at a typical Céilidh (as Brian D would probably call it). In modern usage, a céilidh or ceilidh (pronounced Kaylee) is a traditional Gaelic social gathering, which usually involves playing Gaelic folk music and dancing. It originated in Scotland and Ireland. Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 24 Sep 2016 15:06

Hi Keith,

Not one In know :shock: but it was in its own way a very tuneful piece, which I enjoyed listening to
and the voices you used fit the piece perfectly i thought.

Brian007 :lol: :lol:
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 25 Sep 2016 15:42

Hi Everyone Thought I would give this one an airing. Played to a Highland waltz on the Tyros 4. There are some bagpipes. Hope you enjoy I belong to Glasgow. John

https://app.box.com/s/1yptxk7pytjqxjmbusgsx88nd8ackr06
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 25 Sep 2016 15:57

hi John T.

Enjoyed my listen to that, which you played well and with some very good scottish sounds in there.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 26 Sep 2016 10:55

A Scottish theme must include Robert Burns and it he who wrote the words for the ballad "A Highland Lad My Love Was Born."

A Highland lad my love was born
The lowland laws he held in scorn
But he still was faithful to his clan
My gallant braw John Highlandman

Chorus:
Sing hey, my braw John Highlandman
Sing ho, my braw John Highlandman
There's no' a lad in a' the lan'
Was match wi' my John Highlandman

With his philabeg and his tartan plaid
And his good claymore doon by his side
The ladies' hearts he did trepan
My gallant braw John Highlandman

Chorus

They banished him beyond the sea
But ere the bud was on the tree
Adoon my cheeks the pearls they ran
Embracing my John Highlandman

The song is set to an early dance tune known as "The White Cockade" which is slowed to andante espressivo for the ballad.

Sing along if you wish.

https://app.box.com/s/88itj7kvrf962nyxi8veri9rl5008ow7

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 26 Sep 2016 17:39

Keith,

Very nice Piano Accordion sound. Liked the single 'beating drum' to accompany the tune too. Must admit, we do have a haggis every year on Burns night (January 25th) to celebrate his birthday (really like haggis) so it was very appropriate to have the words for your ballad (written by Robbie Burns). Not sure I understand them all though as they appear to be written in a foreign language .... :( :(

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 26 Sep 2016 17:43

Hi Keith,

A very plesant little ditty which had a good catchy melody line
enjoyed the voices you used as well.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 26 Sep 2016 19:27

Hi Keith A nice jolly tune I also like the drum beat accompaniment quite effective.Enjoyed it another different tune. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 26 Sep 2016 19:29

Hi John,

What a lovely version of "I Belong to Glasgow." I took me back to a train journey from London to Newcastle when I had to share a carriage with a very drunk Glaswegian who sang all the way home. Thanks for posting.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 26 Sep 2016 19:43

I could not resist doing this song because I am sure some of you, and particularly Hugh, will find the accompanying story fascinating.

"Ye Banks and Braes o' Bonnie Doon" is another Robert Burns song and I am playing it in the key of G - one sharp. The melody was written in 1788 by Charles Miller who expressed a desire to compose "an authentic Scots air." He was advised by a friend, partly in jest, to "keep to the black keys of the harpsichord and maintain some kind of rhythm." This he did and it worked well. I have no idea what he did with his left hand but you might like to try.
My understanding is that the black notes constitute a pentatonic scale as used in much traditional Chinese music and that by its very nature pentatonic scale notes never sound wrong. Certainly you can play this melody on the black notes so have a go and maybe publish your results.

https://app.box.com/s/4bv63ee489sret64sygaahcv9m023d4o

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 26 Sep 2016 20:04

Hi Keith Had a look at this one. Enjoyed your version with matching sounds. Perhaps have a look at it tomorrow. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 26 Sep 2016 20:08

Hi Keith Forgot to thank you for your kind remarks about I belong to Glasgow. He probably is still drunk. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 26 Sep 2016 22:49

I have listened to all of them and Keith is putting in overtime to catch up for his week without internet and has played very well.
John with I belong to Glasgow was also enjoyable as were everyone else's contributions.

Keith, funny you should mention pentatonic scales, I have been looking this past week at applying them to some tunes for short fill ins and endings.
I have discovered that the scale fits well over a variety of chords. In G major pentatonic for example, it goes well with G 6/9, A7sus, G9, C maj 7, A min 9, and Fmaj7#11
To make things even worse, there is a parallel minor pentatonic and a relative minor pentatonic scale.
The very accomplished players know in an instant which scales to apply to any chord or progression for improvisation. I unfortunately am NOT one of them. :(
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 27 Sep 2016 10:21

Hi Brian F,

Thanks for the comments and information about pentatonic scales. I am not trying to catch up. I play every day and particularly like to play things I have never played before or even consciously have heard of. There is a whole world of music from the folk tradition of this country and our former colonies which is rarely played outside folk clubs. I have been buying music books for fifty years so have quite a collection plus no end of digital sheet music which is freely available through this site.
Listening to the radio the other day i heard that song from probably the seventies by the Isley Brothers and later the Housemartins. I do not remember seeing the sheet music for it so if anyone can help I would be most pleased.

I believe that bagpipes cannot play a normal chromatic scale. Do you know which notes they can play on the chanter and what the drone pipes are tuned to?

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 27 Sep 2016 12:32

Hi Keith,

Just listened to "Ye Banks and Braes o' Bonnie Doon" and liked what I heard
the voices are very suited to the melody, which you played very well.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 27 Sep 2016 19:56

My next offering was written by Lady Carolina Nairne and was published in 1822 in a collection of songs called "Scottish Minstrel" collected by R.A. Smith. A rowan is the name given to the European mountain ash. The song "Oh Rowan Tree" tells of the tree's many delights from its early spring flowering to the display of red berries at this time of year which children thread onto string to make a necklace. I have used bagpipes and for a bit of variation a little used bassoon which goes rather well in my opinion.

Please enjoy "Oh Rowan Tree."

https://app.box.com/s/2naz0lbfgwrfgv966kfkdc6idwrk26jo

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Sep 2016 23:03

Keith - You've got those bagpipes going again, complete with 'grace notes'. How can anybody not like bagpipes when they are played like this? Perhaps it's because the 'backing' is in harmony with the melody and you are not getting that continuous 'drone' sound. The bassoon sounds good too. Love the rich, solid bass line.

Now, for the evening 'Disco' here is ..

Hoots Mon

https://app.box.com/s/9cvghiv5wfxq5ybpa2uwmh87m4bybhav

Hoots Mon was a No: 1 hit on the UK Singles Chart in 1958 by Lord Rockingham’s XI. Hoots Mon was a rocked-up version of the traditional Scottish song "A Hundred Pipers", and featured mock Scottish cries like "Hoots mon, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose!". Sorry, I couldn’t get this into the recording, but instead have ‘Assigned’ a ‘rim shot’ to the pedals to use at this point.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 28 Sep 2016 07:42

Hi Keith,

Not one I know :lol: :lol: ( no surprises there then )
The bagpipes sound very good, and it was a plesant piece to listen to.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 28 Sep 2016 07:46

Hi Hugh,

More my type of music, something with a little beat to it, I would never have thought of playing this tune for this challenge.
Anyway enjoyed it good choice of voices and you played it very well, Enjoyed the key change ? I think it was a key change :lol:

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Sep 2016 08:22

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, two key changes .. 'up' a semitone each time. I have added a bit more info to the tune (see the posting above).

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 28 Sep 2016 08:57

Hi Hugh,

Like Brian I would never have thought about this one and it certainly brought back memories of "There's a moose loose ....." I could not decide whether the key changes were played of done electronically but either way the piece worked very well. I have often thought about trying the latter to add variation but still have not plucked up the courage to try it.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 28 Sep 2016 10:41

I do not know why but listening to Hugh's "Hoots Mon" this anthem sprang to mind. Think of rugby and Scotland playing at Hampden Park. This is my version of "O Flower of Scotland." The first verse is for violin (or fiddle), the second for solo bagpipes, the choir sings the third verse and all but the fiddle join in for the finale.

https://app.box.com/s/j103z21kf2tw8pwwus30qs4c5dzcw6im

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 28 Sep 2016 10:48

Hi Keith enjoyed your Roman tree. Bit like a jig imagine a bit of Scottish dancing. Liked the sounds. John

Hi Hugh. That was different liked the key changes which gave it a different slant tried to do it on my I belong to Glasgow. Nice sounds and style. Enjoyed my listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Sep 2016 12:06

We've had some lovely Scottish melodies in this Challenge, and sounds with a really Scottish flavour. I reckon we should all get together and host an evening of Scottish Country Dancing followed by a Céilidh .. with a few shots of Scotch Whisky to keep us going. Thanks to you all for your contributions to date.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 28 Sep 2016 20:28

Just could not resist this one that, "I found down the back of the sofa," as Brian would say. Some might feel that the Scottish link is tenuous but as it is "The Night I Appeared As Macbeth" I feel that any reference to the Scottish play is most valid. As it is a music hall song about the theatre it seemed appropriate to dust off the theatre organ. So that you can really get involved I am also giving you the words so that there is no excuse for not singing along.

THE NIGHT I APPEARED AS MACBETH

T'was through a Y.M.C.A concert
I craved a desire for the stage
In Flanders one night I was asked to recite
Gadzooks I was quickly the rage
They said I was better than Irving
And gave me some biscuits and tea
I know its not union wages
But that was the usual fee
Home I came - bought a dress
Appeared in your Theatre and what a success.
Chorus:
I acted so tragic the house rose like magic
The audience yelled "You're sublime"
They made me a present of Mornington Crescent
They threw it a brick at a time
Someone threw a fender which caught me a bender
I hoisted a white flag and tried to surrender
They jeered me, they queered me
And half of them stoned me to death
They threw nuts and sultanas, fried eggs and bananas
The night I appeared as Macbeth.

The play tho' ascribed to Bill Shakespeare
To me lacked both polish and tone
So I put bits in from Miss Elinor Glyn,
Nat Gould, and some bits of my own
The band played the Barber of Seville
And being too long they made cuts
When I entered somewhere in Scotland
And finished in Newington Butts
Oh, the flowers - what a feast
They threw it in bagfulls, self raising and yeast.

Chorus:
I improved the part with a dance
The pit had a relapse, so R.A.M.C. chaps
Were wired for to come back from France
I withdrew my sabre and started to labour
Cried "Lay on MacDuff" to my neighbour
I hollared, "I'm collared
I must reach the bridge or its death"
But they altered my journey, I reached the infirm'ry
The night I appeared in Macbeth.

The advertised time for the curtain
Was six forty-five on the sheet
The hall keeper he having mislaid the key
We played the first act in the street
Then somebody called for the author
"He's dead " said the flute player's wife
The news caused an awful commotion
And gave me the shock of my life
Shakespeare dead - poor old Bill
Why I never knew the poor fellow was ill.

Chorus:
They wished David Garrick could see
But he's in the Abbey, then someone quite shabby
Suggested that's where I should be
Lloyd George and Clemenceau, they both carried on
So the King of the Belgians rushed in with Alfonso
They pleaded - unheeded
And all of them cried in one breath
"There's another war coming if you don't stop humming"
The night I appeared in Macbeth.

Extra Chorus:
I gave them such wonderful thrills
My tender emotion caused such a commotion
The dress circle made out their wills
The gallery boys straining, dropped tears uncomplaining
The pit put umbrellas up, thought it was raining
Some floated - some boated
And five of the band met their death
And the poor programme women
Sold programmes while swimming
The night I appeared as Macbeth.

Written and composed by William Hargreaves - 1922
Performed by Billy Merson (1881-1947)

Please sing along to "The Night I Appeared As Macbeth."

https://app.box.com/s/q6zlc8dvg14ahrinikf103e3h39irhbc

Keith

P.S. For those of you who are interested this recording demonstrates how Bohm treat the organ realistically as the entire sound stage and you can clearly hear how notes shift from left to right according to the position of the pipes.
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 29 Sep 2016 07:40

Hi Keith,

Interesting whats down the back of your soffa ?

I did not know what to expect for this one judging by the name but it turn into an interesting piece
which was plesant enough to listen to, and made a good recording.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 29 Sep 2016 14:48

Keith,

That recording was very, very good. You are quite right about Bohm putting 'Pan' on the organ pipes. On the AR we can pan the instruments we choose, but not organ pipes, and certainly not individual organ pipes. And I do like that rich deep, clear bass the Bohm produces. I have the right headphones to hear that.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 29 Sep 2016 17:42

Hi Keith a very interesting piece. Kept me interested with the choice of sounds and well put together. Sore throat so could not join in. Enjoyed it. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Themes