Musical Challenge - Summer

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Musical Challenge - Summer

Postby KRUG » 08 Jul 2016 21:39

It might not always seem like it but we are in the middle of summer. Please feel free to submit any tune with a connection to "Summer," however tenuous that might be.

Do not feel obliged to comment on posts but you are most welcome to do so in a positive way.

I will start us off with an entry tomorrow unless somebody beats me to it.

Looking forward to your entries.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Re: Musical Challenge 8/7/16 - Summer

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Jul 2016 22:37

Now there is one problem with 'playing by ear', and that is .. how good is your 'ear' in picking up what you think you have heard? At least with 'reading the dots' it's there in black and white. There are two tunes that spin in my head .. Summertime, and the St.Louis Blues. I don't know either of them as proper 'melodies' as one tune just merges into the other and I get a mish-mash of them both. Hence the title for the below:

Summer In St. Louis

https://app.box.com/s/8ecgaggr54efwdaunr3y3wpgf3otygh8

Hugh

PS. I thought you lot were taking a 'Summer Break'?

Another PS. I like your heading Keith .. Musical Challenge 8/7/16 - Summer This gives the Date the Challenge was set; and gives an indication of what the Challenge is. And no brackets; just a hyphen .. which is better. And no closing date. May have another go at this one in the Winter .. to cheer myself up by remembering what a fantastic hot summer we had.
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 09 Jul 2016 08:28

Hi Hugh,

Not a number I am familiar with, very good performance and some good voices/sounds you used
Am I reading it right that you play by ear rather than music ? nowt wrong with that just curious

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 09 Jul 2016 10:56

Enjoyed your "mish-mash" Hugh.

I am definitely your opposite - cannot play a note without the dots but it does mean that I can search through my books for something that seems relevant and have a go at it. I found this one in the "Just Standards Real Book" and I liked the title "When The Sun Comes Out" and the playing instruction of Bluesy. Music by Harold Arlen and words by Ted Kohler from 1941. The song begins "When the sun comes out and the rain stops beatin' on my window pane ..." Now if that is not summer I don't know what is.

I hope that you enjoy it.

https://app.box.com/s/of40x52z2uizaax0nxhhrzuns3audg11

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 09 Jul 2016 12:28

Hi Hugh. Not one I'm familiar with. Enjoyed your interpretation. Nice sounds style and arrangement John

Hi Keith. Again not one I know. Seemed a difficult one to play. Enjoyed the sounds. John

Wish I could play a mixture of dots and ear playing, but can only do the dots with a bit of dampness. May not have time to do a post as off golfing for four days. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Jul 2016 14:32

Keith,

Don't know how you do that. I suppose that at a pinch I could work out a melody line from the dots, but then would have to commit that to memory. And if this is a piece you have not heard before, how can you be certain you are playing the right notes? You could play wrong notes and be none the wiser. And John would be none the wiser either, as he doesn't know the piece and doesn't have the sheet music to check it.

And do you 'read the dots' for the chords? Or do you look at the chord symbols on the music and form an inversion of the chord to suit where you are playing? If the sheet music had no chords written on it I would be completely at a loss. I remember once I went into a music shop in Bath and asked them for the sheet music for Petite Fleur. They said they would have to order it for me, so I asked if it would have the chords written on it (wouldn't have wanted it without), and they asured me that it did. When the music finally came, I got the shock of my life. Yes, it did have the chords written on it .. but they were in Tonic Solfa. So eg. Doh, Soh 7, Fah, Lah min etc. Wish all music came like this. If you knew your scales you could play your piece in any key! Well, maybe not F# or Gb. Don't know my scales for those.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 09 Jul 2016 15:16

Reading the dots is largely a case of reading a line of fractions for the rhythm and going up and down as shown by the dots on the lines. A bum note does not fit the chord so probably sounds wrong. However all music is an interpretation of the composers original and the dots do not always reflect the interpretation you are used to. My next offering is a thirteenth century English tune which John will not know because it is even older that him. I do not have any other interpretation to go by so this is my effort. I have tried to use some sounds that would have been around then - voice, whistle, recorder strings and changed the chief accompaniment instrument from guitar to a flute. I imagine a rural scene with farm workers having a party and dancing (6/8) while singing "Summer is a coming in, loudly sing cuckoo. Groweth seed and bloweth mead and springeth wood anew." I am not suggesting that this is any way authentic - just the way my mind works.

https://app.box.com/s/2q4piipuiixzf5zbl7k1sic0so4gohgs

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 09 Jul 2016 15:49

Hi Keith,

Two very interesting post Keith, but none of which I am familiar with, but I guess you already knew that.
They voices were very imaginative for the tunes and you played them well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hugh,

On the subject of reading music, I can but a little to slowly to play fluently off a piece of music live for the first time,
My approach is to, 1st/ if possible find the music of the internet, learn it and commit it to memory and away I go.

2nd Approach if no music can be found, find chords for music from either https://play.riffstation.com/ or https://chordify.net/
and pick the melody line out and commit to memory and play from there

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 09 Jul 2016 19:58

Hi Everyone Managed to find a one with summer in title. Took me a while to play it. Hope you enjoy your listen. The green leaves of summer. John

https://app.box.com/s/aeaafa1z75yrs1zl5jx742px1eu2lohy
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 09 Jul 2016 20:17

Hi Keith Not one I know. Some interesting and unusual sounds. A pleasant listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Jul 2016 23:20

Here's another one with 'Summer' in the title.

Theme From A Summer Place

https://app.box.com/s/716cecrlh54dxuunv3rzsxnz4ayufa5e

Sorry, didn't manage the key-change in this one. If you play it in C, what key does it go into? Anybody got the music for it?

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Jul 2016 07:34

Hi John T.

Nice one young man , enjoyed listening to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hugh,

A good version of that tune, nice to listen to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S What summer are we talking about here ? surely not this one ??

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 10 Jul 2016 08:50

It is nice to have the Challenge going again. A good effort John and will try to find the dots for you Hugh.

Must go and play something for this morning.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 10 Jul 2016 09:29

I was watering my planters this morning and this one sprang to mind. The words were written in about 1805 by Thomas Moore and tell the story of the last rose of summer which is struggling to survive amongst all her fading, dying and dead companions. A rather sad little song that I give you this morning "'Tis The Last Rose Of Summer."

https://app.box.com/s/jfgqul4cz5osximq1wtb2v9y6ceuspxr

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2016 10:44

A very sad song indeed! Glad it is played as an 'instrumental' piece and has no words with it! What keyboard/organ did you play this on? It has a lovely voicing for the 'choir', with a strong bass and 'rounded' soprano .. with a good measure of 'reverb'. This is a better 'choir' than the one I have on my AR.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Jul 2016 11:23

Hi Keith,

Not one I know :lol: :lol: but that was an impressive piece, the bass nearly shock our house :lol: :lol:
some real good voices in there and you did play it well.. Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Jul 2016 11:30

Hi ALL,

The link to summer is very tentative in this post, in fact summer isnt mentioned anywhere in the song at all, but the group that wrote and recorded it always reminded me of summer and the group is the Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson is one of the best song writers of his day. I searched high and low for the music but could not find it so this is played by ear from the chords I found on the internet, so hope you enjoy my version of "Don't worry Baby"

https://app.box.com/s/x8m15g7102ghku7tts75q9cjerd69zuv

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2016 12:13

Brian,

Your 'link' to Summer for this piece is very dubious, but Don't Worry about it, Baby. Am I right in thinking (I'm sure I am) that you have done a bit of 'sequencing' here? And is this just the once? Or does 'sequencing' mean you add a bit here, and then do it again and add a bit there, as the mood takes you? Not being able to 'sequence' as such with the AR I have to get everything I want to put in and do it in one go ie. I do a 'double recording', recording the Lower and the Upper separately, but then that's it. And it's not easy to put a 'counter melody' on the right of the split (whilst playing the chords to the left of the split) when there is no melody playing. You can't do the melody first as there would be no Rhythm or backing to keep you on the straight and narrow. So I sing the melody (out loud) while I am playing the Lower. Would drive the neighbours potty .. if we had any. And Bronwyn too, but I've still got her. Goodness knows why!

Hugh

PS. I note you have said you played this 'by ear', as I do. But you are obviously one better than me as you can read the music as well. That's a great asset.
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Jul 2016 12:22

Hi Hugh,

No sequencing used at all, I play the left hand chords, and right hand melody altogether in one go, record as I am playing it live and save it, then I will add other track/tracks to what I originally recorded and build it up from there to however many tracks I feel appropriate for the tune.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2016 12:27

Got it. I don't think I know what 'sequencing' means. I'll have to look it up in the dictionary. I suppose I could do the same sort of thing using Audacity on my laptop (I think it was you who suggested this).

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Jul 2016 12:37

Hi Hugh,

Sequencing as I understand it is, when you put each individual note into a computer sequencer program or the sequencer on a keyboard
that would take for ever and not really something I would like to do way too complicated and time consuming.
What I do is Multi-Track ( re-recording the original piece several time over) to get the finished result, which has and still is being done in recording studios to day.

Any my version of Michael was done using a Brit-Pop Swing style at about 112 bpm

Brian
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 10 Jul 2016 13:57

Hi Keith and BrianThanks for your comments. John

Keith. Lots of watering with my pots at home and took me nearly an hour to pick fruit and veg at allotment. Enjoyed you Scottish feel tune. Put me in the right frame of my for my golf trip tomorrow near Selkirk. Enjoyed it.

Brian. Nice one should have brought my bucket and spade to the Waldridge loft. Good guitar again. John

Will not be replying to any until Friday as I am away for four days. Enjoy your playing. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2016 14:29

Brian .. Got it! So the word (or words) I was after was Multi-Tracking. I'll remember that now. No, I wouldn't want to spend hours putting in individual notes. When I alter my STYLES (which I love to do) I have a 'display clock' that counts through the beats for a whole 'measure' .. and then it goes round again. So I have to physically 'play' notes (or chords, or arpeggios etc.) for the whole of that measure. And then it 'repeats' what you have done (again and again), so you can hear what you have done. If you don't like what you hear, you can delete it and do it again. And you have to play all your notes 'in the key of C'. You then 'Save' the Style to a USER slot, and use the Style from there. Then, of course, when you play chords on the Lower, what you hear is the 'pattern' you have created (originally in the key of C), but the actual notes you hear are based on the chord you are playing. So that is 'adding something to your music' (and it doesn't take very long to do), but it's not sequencing and it's not multi-tracking. Interestingly, often what you get in the backing is quite a surprise (a pleasant one, I might add) as eg. if the measure was 4 bars and you did an arpeggio, then all the notes you did would run up and down on that C chord; but when using the Style you may not be holding the same chord for a whole measure, and your guess is as good as mine as to where the backing 'jumps' to when you change the chord. This happens to the Bass Part too. You may have programmed C - G; C-E-G; C - G; C-E-G when you did it, but the Bass Part just jumps about all over the place as you change your chord. Never know what the bass player is going to play, but he sounds brilliant in my band!

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Jul 2016 16:03

Hi John T.

Have a good break and enjoy your golf see you when you get back, all the best

BrIan007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 11 Jul 2016 09:10

A tune from Gershwin this morning. A modern piece from 1935 which you will all know. I have arranged it for trumpet, sax and tone wheel leads with a big band accompaniment. Played and recorded live in one take five minutes ago. It is of course "Summertime."

https://app.box.com/s/zri6qslxz89iqxzdii0nkd8eujsu9pwq

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 11 Jul 2016 09:27

Hi Keith,

A very nice version of that classic number which even I knew :lol: :lol:
Played with a lot of feeling and some good suitable voices, nice one.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 12 Jul 2016 00:03

Right. So that is Summertime, unabridged. Will remember that now. Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 13 Jul 2016 13:05

I have taken a little time out from my practice to post Summertime.
I recorded it years ago to a floppy disc. It was done in two stages, The accompaniment and fills and then added the melody.
For this post I kept the original backing but played a new melody on the Lowrey using chords in my left hand and octaves on my right hand.

papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 13 Jul 2016 13:12

Actually, I must have originally recorded it : 1, auto accompaniment with melody 2, add piano accompaniment using both hands.
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 Jul 2016 15:58

Brian D,

I did ask you the question, and now I have seen your Lowrey. What makes your video so interesting is that you can see which bits you are playing 'live', and which were recorded previously. Unlike MP3 where you probably wouldn't even know, and wouldn't be able to identify what had been done. As I have said elsewhere, if your organ/keyboard/piano has the technology to do various different things, then it's great to get stuck in and use it (if you know what it is you want to do). I remember going to a Brian Sharp concert once, and he had pre-programmed quite a bit of what we were listening to. He commented that he couldn't use his feet any more, so that had been done previously using the lower keyboard .. and added "but everything you hear is me!". He couldn't have done it any other way, as for the piece he played he was doing the melody on the upper with his right hand, and his left was running up and down a .. wire? .. that was giving 'slide'. So he needed both hands to play the melody, and everything else we were listening to would have had to have been done beforehand. And it was beautiful! Sadly, Brian passed away in January of this year. It was listening to him that got me into playing the organ (I was a piano player).

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 15 Jul 2016 11:30

Hi Keith. Enjoyed Summertme. Nice sounds . Congrats on first take. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 15 Jul 2016 11:32

Hi Brian. Nice to have you back Enjoyed your version of Summertime a nice easy listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby abr250 » 26 Jul 2016 01:37

Hi

Have not visited this forum for quite a long time.

Only play in my own home and for my own amusement

I don't record much but seeing this challenge thought I would enter this for the summer challenge

"The Summer Knows" by Micheal Legrand

https://app.box.com/s/8sbf89bxrr4jbc7gaq8j0rlp4gbpznws

Hope it's ok

Arthur
abr250
Active Poster

Postby Brian007 » 26 Jul 2016 07:51

Hi Arthur,

A very warm welcome to the challenge section, that was a great piece you played there, not heard it before
enjoyed listening to it, the arrangement and the voices where spot on , well played.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 26 Jul 2016 09:28

Hi Arthur. Not one I know. A nice listen with a bit of strong sounds. Enjoyed my listen looking forward to more. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Themes