New Challenges: Thoughts, Ideas and Suggestions

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

New Challenges: Thoughts, Ideas and Suggestions

Postby Brian007 » 29 Jun 2016 11:36

Hi everyone,

I am hoping that we can restart the challenges again in the near future, and I am asking for some help here from you the members of this forum.
What format would you like to see a new challenge section take ?, would you be prepared to take part in it ? I am not asking for a definite commitment
from anyone just some feedback as to how you feel about the challenge section. Even if it's we don`t want one

So please feel free to make any comments that you feel may help decide what direction the challenge section takes in the future.

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: New Challenge ?

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 30 Jun 2016 09:36

Hi

I'm not sure about this one - for me, time (or rather, lack of time) has been the reason I've not submitted anything recently. However, a challenge does give a target to aim for - and maybe an opportuinity to produce some music in a different style to our comfort zone.

What do others think?

Every Blessing

Tony
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 30 Jun 2016 10:38

Hi Brian and fellow forumites ....

Rekindling the challenge section would be great ... I was surprised that it 'faded away' given its previous good support from the members. It's true to say that I haven't been very active on KMF over the last 12 months or so ... there are various reason for this but the main problem for me is my complete lack of interest in playing - I have the Tyros 2 and Electone EL-70 both just gathering dust - neither has been switched on for months!

Brian, with regard to format of the challenges ... you and Keith had that about right in my view - and more importantly members thought so too judging by the support each challenge received.

If I can assist you with any forum changes or in anyway other way ... just let me know.

Best regards,

Mike
Mike Bracchi

Postby KRUG » 30 Jun 2016 10:59

The whole point of the "Challenge" is to try to encourage interest in the forum generally and offer stimulation to existing and potential members. If you think that this is a fools errand and not for you please take a few seconds to say so rather than simply not responding.

Brian and I have discussed various formats we think that the "Challenge" could take so you may like to offer your views on the following:

Should the "Challenge" be competitive with a neutral judge picking the best entry?

Should entrants be able to select any piece of music from a wide genre (e.g. pop), something narrower (e.g. a particular artist) or a specific tune (music available)?

How long should a "Challenge" last? A week, a fortnight, a month etc.?

Should multiple entries be allowed/encouraged.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 05 Jul 2016 09:47

Hi Everyone I personally think the challenge section should remain. It gives me something to focus on when challenges are set. I struggle sometimes just to find a tune I can play and put it on the other board. I will continuing to post in both section. Time permitting. Best to Brian and Keith for keeping them going it's not easy to please everyone on the site. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Jul 2016 11:04

For what it's worth, here's a comment or two from me:

1. Keith says "The whole point of the "Challenge" is to try to encourage interest in the forum generally and offer stimulation to existing and potential members". I thoroughly agree with that. As a 'New' Member this has resulted in me looking at this Board to see how others have played pieces, opening an account for Box (which I had not heard of before) to upload the music, and doing my first posting.

2. I don't think the "Challenge" should be competitive with a neutral judge picking the best entry. Most of us 'play for fun' .. and you have already said that this is not a 'Competition'. Which leads me to my second point .. why have a closing date at all? Just put up a 'New Challenge' at intervals (once a month?). A previous 'Challenge' may trigger an idea to play something and then we can add to an existing posting (as I have done with the "Me" and "My" Challenge).

3. "Choosing from a wide genre (e.g. pop), something narrower (e.g. a particular artist) or a specific tune (music available)". First option, too wide. Second is what you have been doing .. and you have been keeping those choices varied. It's this approach I feel that will plant an idea of something to play. A specific tune? If you don't know the tune, and you don't read music (which I don't) you're scuppered!

4. Have answered 'how long should a Challenge last' in (2) above.

5. Should multiple entries be allowed/encouraged? Definitely (encouraged). If there were hundreds of entries to listen to then you would have to have some restriction. But as with any piece of music, you can interpret a tune in so many different ways, and it is always interesting to hear how somebody else has tackled a piece. This is often what inspires one to try new things. I remember years ago listening to Judy Durham playing solo at the Royal Albert Hall one Christmas. She sang 'Climb Every Mountain' .. as a Waltz! We all know this tune has 4 beats in a bar, but her brilliant interpretation of this just stopped us in our tracks .. and I have played this song as a waltz ever since.

Finally, I'm sure all Members will join me in thanking all those that run this Forum for their time and effort spent in doing things to keep this Forum interesting. It's the interaction from us, the Members, that make it all worth while.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 06 Jul 2016 12:42

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to the Challenge section, unfortunately the challenge section has not been very active lately as you can see
as we were down to just three of us when we decide to take a summer break . I have read your reply and lets see if there are any more replies before going down any one specific route

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 07 Jul 2016 09:16

Hi Brian,

I hope you do get some more 'Replies' to your posting as I personally would like to see this Board continue (any Members reading this please put your oar in!). There is already a Board for uploading your music to .. Vocal & Instrumental Performances. But the whole point of this Board is to give a suggestion (and some inspiration) as to what to play.

You asked "What format would you like to see a new challenge section take?" .. and you did say "feel free to make any comments that you feel may help decide what direction the challenge section takes in the future".

A few more thoughts. Brian .. you said the Challenge section had got down to just three of you. Keith .. in the "Music from 1960s Films" I see that with your entry Exodus you "decided to re-post this entry as only Brian noticed it the first time around". Maybe there are only three of you because other Members don't want to comment on your pieces (and don't feel qualified to do so) .. so don't get involved? When commenting on pieces others have played it is very difficult to say something constructive (particularly if you don't know the instrument the piece has been played on), and to try to say the same thing in a hundred different ways is almost impossible. As an ex teacher I know the problem full well .. school reports! So maybe leave out comments and suggestions, unless of course there is something striking about a piece someone has played and you can't resist commenting on it. I think just listening to a piece someone else has played can give inspiration to play something. Brian .. your piece The Young Ones in "Music from 1960s Films" has certainly got me going. I love the rhythm you have used, so have hunted through the Rhythm Section of my AR 80 to try and find something similar. And that 60s guitar is very "60s". What a super sound! I think I have a 60s guitar on my AR 80 I can use. But I couldn't possibly comment on the piece you have played.

So maybe you could resurrect this Board by giving a "Challenge" once a month. Make it varied .. and maybe Members can send you a PM (Private Message) with suggestions for the next "Challenge". When you put the Challenge up, put in brackets what the Challenge is (as you have been doing) .. I see that your Challenges up to your 'summer break 2015' don't say what they are in the Subject Line, which makes them difficult to 'add to' later. With all the more recent ones you can home in on them and know what to expect.

Leave the categories 'open' so they can be added to at any time.

Make it clear that it's OK to put up the same song someone else has played. This is not a 'competition' so it's not a question of one song being 'better' than another. It'll just be a different 'arrangement', no doubt inspired by hearing the first song put up.

No need to 'make comments' to take part. Just record something and put it up!

If you are one of the 350 or so Members and are reading this, get rowing!

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 07 Jul 2016 09:38

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions / suggestions all which are gratefully received,
The greatest problem we encountered was basically the lack of participants at the very end.

As it stands the challenge section is completely open and anyone who wishes can set a challenge, but it would be best to have just one going at a time
and at the moment I am away a lot so I am reluctant to start anything off. So Hugh if you want to set a challenge or post in any of the existing closed challenges please feel free to do so, maybe a new set of eyes and brain may work wonders.

But above all enjoy the music

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 08 Jul 2016 21:30

Hi Hugh,
Good to have your input. I like your suggestion of no comments being required. Your input has inspired me to start a new challenge.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2016 09:43

Keith. I had originally put up the below as a 'Reply' to your comment in your New Challenge, "Summer" ..

KRUG wrote:It is nice to have the Challenge going again. A good effort John and will try to find the dots for you Hugh.

Must go and play something for this morning.

Keith

.. but thought it would be lost in the 'Summer' posting, and more appropriate to be put here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is how the challenge goes when you're all taking a break then I won't be able to keep up!

Seriously though, Keith .. a question you asked was "How long should a Challenge last?". Well, once you have put up a "Theme" then that "Theme" will still be there when anybody looks in the future. Like me. So I don't reckon you need a 'closing date' .. and of course you didn't put one in for this one (Summer). Challenges may remain dormant for a while, somebody may then contribute something .. and it's all for the 'off' again.

Which brings me back to something I mentioned earlier. Can you EDIT those first postings to remove that closing date, and add a Theme where there is none showing? It won't alter the headings of subsequent postings, but that doesn't matter. It's what's showing in the Subject Line of the 'Home Page' that's important.

And then there is another question. How often should a "Challenge" be put up? I hadn't realised, but you are saying that any Member can put one up. I had thought if it was just you putting them up, then maybe once a month. But I think that is too rigid. I think you have answered this question, Keith, by putting up this 'Summer' Challenge. Surely the answer to this is "When it's needed". If the board is busy, busy then it would be too much to keep having new Challenges. But when it's quiet, or you have something specific you want people to have a go at, then put one up.

I'm not trying to take over! You asked for suggestions, so that is what I am doing. Please feel free to ignore anything I have said!

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2016 13:26

Brian .. I see you have been busy and have already removed the 'closing dates' in the Subject Line in most of the challenges. Now (hopefully) anybody looking at the list may be tempted to take up a 'Challenge' with a particular 'Theme' and submit some music.

And also, you wouldn't need to feel that you had to do something by such and such a date. Once a Challenge has gone up, there is no rush. Spend some of your time doing other things, and only do the Challenge as the mood takes you.

Best wishes,

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2016 15:54

Here's another posting I did elsewhere that really should have been put in here. So I am posting it again to keep everything about the "Challenge" Board in one place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the thing about this Board is that it's different to the other one. Yes, if you record a song you can pop it up in the other Board. But the reason why I ended up here is because you had a Theme for each "Challenge", and that set me thinking about something I could play that would fit in with that Theme. Not only that, but when listening to a song in one of the "Challenges" it could very well set me off thinking about how I could do my own arrangement of that song and put it up in the same place as the one that is already there, without treading on anybody's toes.

Brian .. I have noticed that you have put Michelle up in the other section. Very nice too! This could have gone into the 'Girls Names' challenge of this Board. Now this is a song I have been trying to play for years, and you have given me one or two ideas about a Style and voices to use. So if I do that, where do I put it? I think it'll go in Girls Names.

So I suppose it's as you say. One Board suits one, and the other suits another. So I hope both boards will keep going.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: New Challenges: Thoughts, Ideas and Suggestions

Postby Hugh-AR » 26 Jul 2016 14:12

Another thought about this board. Seems to me this is a good place to put comments/ask questions about the pieces we have played, and the instruments we have used. Also, if you can play another 'arrangement' of a piece, then this is a good place to put it. It is always interesting to hear another interpretation of a song and to pick up ideas for voices, rhythms etc.

This can be a place to air our ideas, and how we play as well.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 27 Jul 2016 13:25

Hi Hugh,

Good Idea lets see if we can incorporate into the challenge section once it picks back up after the summer ?

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 01 Aug 2016 12:44

Hi!
I have not posted for some time and landed on this page by chance. Sad to see the decline. However my situation is wife seriously ill where I caring 24/7. Other family stresses also not helping. So have not touched organ for months.

will hope to return one day if you are still with us. regards to all Ken
kens
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 01 Aug 2016 15:02

Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear that you're having such rough time of it at the moment, and lets hope that things get a little easier for you in the future
and that you can get back into your music someday. As regards to the forum, it always gets quiet in the summer time and people come and go
just like the sunny weather, its just part of life, but I hope we will still be around when you return.

All the best , Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 01 Aug 2016 16:35

Hi Ken. Sorry to hear your news I hope your circumstances improve and you are able to perform again. Your contributions are missed. All the best . John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Aug 2016 14:54

Hi Ken,

I too am sorry to hear your news, and hope you may get back to your organ at some stage. I haven't had a chance to listen to many of the postings in this Board, but was quite taken with your 'Birth of the Blues' played on your EL700.

viewtopic.php?f=232&t=4268#p26761

Best wishes,

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Aug 2016 16:29

More about the Challenge Board. Another important aspect of having a Board like this is when someone literally does 'take up the Challenge' and plays something a bit obscure, unusual or a tune not generally known. It seems to me that Keith is very good at doing this, as he can find a random tune in one of his albums that no one has ever come across before .. and just play it. I have a friend who does this, and he comes across some real gems with regards to melody line and some interesting chords. Probably wouldn't want to put this up as a 'Party Piece', so this Board is where it would go.

Do we need two 'similar' Boards? Maybe we should put the aims and objectives of a 'Challenge' Board like this into some sort of logical order so we know what we are trying to achieve (and get Mike to 'sticky' our thoughts so they stay at the top).

Brian(007) started all this discussion with this statement:

Hi everyone,

I am hoping that we can restart the challenges again in the near future, and I am asking for some help here from you the members of this forum.
What format would you like to see a new challenge section take ?, would you be prepared to take part in it ? I am not asking for a definite commitment
from anyone just some feedback as to how you feel about the challenge section. Even if it's we don`t want one

So please feel free to make any comments that you feel may help decide what direction the challenge section takes in the future.

Brian007 8) 8)

So what do other members think about all this? I have jumped in and put my oar in, and maybe done enough to sink the ship! Should the 'Challenge' Board keep going? If so, what format would you like to see the challenge take? And would you be prepared to take part in it? And if not, would you 'visit' this Board from time to time just to see what is going on? There is no requirement to put up a comment about pieces that have been played, but knowing that people have 'viewed' is a real incentive to keep going and put up more.

Any comments from members .. please post!

Hugh

PS. I am not talking about 'Reply' postings here. I am talking about Viewing. For this posting 'thread', 20 REPLIES and 167 VIEWS to date.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Peter S » 08 Aug 2016 20:46

I think that it would be a shame to lose this board, as it encourages us all to enjoy what we like doing, playing keyboards and making music :D

For me, I would enjoy the challenge of playing a piece of music selected by someone in the group, who could also provide the chorded sheet music if need be. Hopefully something reasonably popular and relatively modern. This means we all get to enjoy ALL the different interpretations of the same song. No need for any closing date, challenges remain forever open to anybody, but the main participants would probably have a recording in a week or two, allowing a challenge on a monthly or two monthly cycle.

No stress, just fun, take part because you want to enjoy the challenge.
Keep the music playing!
Peter S
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Aug 2016 00:47

Me again!

Peter S is hoping for a piece of music to play (with the music score provided if required) .. a piece we all know .. which we would play and then be able to compare the different approaches to playing the same piece. This is always interesting .. to see different 'arrangements' of a piece. I think this is the idea Keith had at the very beginning, when he set up the 'Challenge' Board. This could certainly be re-introduced .. but I would suggest do this in addition to the present format of having 'Themes'. And as Peter S (and I) have said, leave all these 'Challenges' Open Ended so they can be added to at any time.

Reading on from the comment by Keith on 1st April 2015, it would seem to me that we already have a Board where Members can put their 'Party Pieces', and the whole idea of the Challenge Board should be to get those that are interested to get involved in a more general way in trying to make a lively, informative and dare I say, educational site (to quote what Keith said).

Take a look at the Frank Sinatra 'Challenge' (which is now 'open ended'), starting from here:

http://tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtop ... 788#p31798

Listen to the music, read the comments on the way .. and don't forget there is a 'Page 2' (click on the Next; or Page 2 .. showing bottom right). Maybe this is what Keith had in mind when he made his comments.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Aug 2016 09:13

Hi,

Keith did try what was called, Tune of the Month, where Keith upload a song book with about 15 pieces of music in it
and the Idea was that you could choose a piece and post it, well it lasted one or two months as there was just not the interest.

Now I am not saying it should not be tried again, but the biggest problem we have is the lack of participants in any of
the organized sections, so if anyone would like to post new challenges or music to play please do ( in the Challenge section please )

I am hoping we can kick start something more regular starting in September after our Summer is over and people have more time.
But in the meantime please feel free to try whatever you like.

P.S If you read any of the Organ\Keyboard mags you see that Organ\ Keyboard Clubs are unfortunately disappearing as members grow older
and there is not enough young blood with enough interest to carry them on. So it's unfortunately it's a problem that's not going to go away

So let's try and make the most of what we have, time we have it .

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 10 Aug 2016 16:23

I like the idea of members nominating a new challenge and would suggest allowing each to run until it dies a death. As I have informed you I am not able to devote time to the organ at present but still visit and will hopefully come back full time when my problems are resolved. As a start I wouid suggest titles that are in a foreign language. I am ready with Il Silencio if you start it up
regards to all and thanks for kind remarks Ken
kens
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 14 Aug 2016 00:46

It has been mentioned that maybe only one Board is needed .. a place to put recordings (one's 'Party Pieces').

With regard to how a second Board (ie. this Challenge Board) can fit into the scheme of things, I made this comment earlier:

This can be a place to air our ideas, and how we play as well.

Click on this LINK below and read the comments and Replies that follow:

viewtopic.php?f=232&t=4488&start=70#p31772

This sort of interaction really is something that makes me want to come back and see what else is going on. A good place to have a chat about music.

But I think what you are all implying is that no one is really interested in even viewing, let alone taking part .. except for a few 'regulars'. Point taken, as no one else is responding to any of the points put forward in this discussion. I am surprised, as I would have thought that people joining a music Forum would be interested and want to take part.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Aug 2016 22:36

I keep coming back to why we need this second Board. I had made this comment earlier:

Brian .. I have noticed that you have put Michelle up in the other section. Very nice too! This could have gone into the 'Girls Names' challenge of this Board. Now this is a song I have been trying to play for years, and you have given me one or two ideas about a Style and voices to use. So if I do that, where do I put it? I think it'll go in Girls Names.

Well now ..

I have been thinking about this tune and how I wanted the various voices to sound. This is half the fun of playing .. setting everything up and letting the creative element come to the fore .. getting the 'balance' right. So now I have played and recorded it, where to put it? Not where Brian put his .. that is his space. Girls Names is the place to put it, and anybody else who has an arrangement of this tune, please do the same.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 16 Aug 2016 08:36

Hi Hugh,

There are and always will be I think 2 Sections for music posting in this forum,

The challenge section, Is where you can find Ideas for a piece to play, and it maybe that not every challenge is to your liking
so you don`t have to post in every challenge, but its there if you need inspiration or help in deciding what to play.

The Performance section is where you post the music you like/want to play a sort of showcase.

And I think we should respect each members decision as to where they want to post their music after all its their creative work

So that`s why I think we do need the 2 sections, What I personally would like to see is a bit more of a crossover between the two sections
and hence my decision to post some of my music in each section, it spreads it out

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 16 Aug 2016 17:01

Hi Brian. Agree with your comments so will not progress it any further. Will be missing doing either as away for two weeks and no room in car for keyboard as I would have to take the golf clubs out. See you on my return. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 16 Aug 2016 18:01

Hi John,

Have a good break and may the sun be with you.

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Aug 2016 13:10

Hi Brian007,

You said earlier that you were on a ‘Summer Break’ and come September you would make some decisions about the ‘Challenge’ section .. what format you wanted it to take, or even if you wanted it to continue.

As there are two sections to post music into, it is obviously important to have some idea as to what the purpose behind each section is. A ‘Performance’ section is fairly obvious by it’s description. So we come back to basics and ask ‘What is a Challenge (as you use this in the description)?

The first ‘Challenge’ is to submit a piece of music that fits within the general ‘Theme’ .. or at least have a good excuse explaining why it does so.

You have given the following explanations of what you feel the two sections are aiming for:

The challenge section is where you can find Ideas for a piece to play, and it maybe that not every challenge is to your liking so you don`t have to post in every challenge, but it’s there if you need inspiration or help in deciding what to play.

The Performance section is where you post the music you like/want to play a sort of showcase.

And in Keith’s latest ‘Challenge’ he says:

Think of what you would class as the best songs ever. The challenge is to make a new recording of one of those songs and share it with us. I know it would be easy to share an old recording from your archives but that would not be a challenge.

It is quite clear to me from this that a ‘Challenge’ is primarily to play and record something that you have not recorded before. It is not somewhere to submit something special that you have done, like creating a backing part that is not in the original Style; or using slide/glide; or switching the tremolo between fast/slow; or using the expression pedal to give ‘lift’ to your music; or add some ‘multitracking’ to a piece. Things that are fun to do, things that we can have a discussion about and maybe help each other with ideas as to how to improve our playing.

So let's define the 'Challenge' section as somewhere for playing something 'new' by sight-reading the music (and thereby being able to choose tunes that are maybe a bit obscure); or for playing something 'off the cuff' that one has not recorded before; but fitting in with the general 'Theme' of the Challenge. I think these may have been your original objectives when you first formed the 'Challenge' Board. Only this time, maybe leave off a 'closing date' so anyone can contribute in the future.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 28 Aug 2016 14:16

Hi Hugh,

Yes leaving all the old and new challenges open ended is a good idea and one which we will implement,

The only thing I will say about anyone that fancies setting a challenge is please feel free to do so,
but the things to bear in mind in my opinion are that you can't set the bar too high or people won't get involved
and you are just wasting you time, believe me I know. My opinion is any challenge should be as broad as possible
( not too specific ) and the music for the type of challenge should be not to hard to find or play as people just won't do it.

You have to tread a fine line between making it interesting enough to make people want to get involved and if its to hard
or too specific it wont work and at the end of the day no one will post. Because that's what the challenge is all about
encouraging members to try new tunes that they may not have played before, but also about encouraging people to post their music

Ok sometimes in the past there may have been peoples who have posted music that they recorded ages ago for a different thing
but at least they bothered to post its and that's what matters, You can learn a lot for listening to other peoples version of the same song

So let's try and keep the challenge a nice easy going place where those that feel inclined can post their music and we can all listen to it
and hopefully benefit from it.

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 28 Aug 2016 21:44

I think that Hugh is putting an interpretation on things which do not need an interpretation. A challenge to submit a new recording for a challenge does not put any limits on the way it is produced. I know that Brian007 loves the arranging side of making a recording which is what a Tyros is designed for. By contrast I play an organ and just love to sit down and play. I rarely use a style when playing for myself.
These two different approaches are equally valid and all methods are welcome in the " Challenge."
Brian and I have thought long and hard as to how to stimulate interest in what seems to be a dying interest. We would prefer to think that people did something new for a Challenge otherwise it would not be a Challenge or get people participating now. Old recordings may be great, they just do not really fit the bill. Of course the only person who knows when a piece was recorded is the person publishing the music.
The latest Challenge is open ended and I only hope that people will honestly record what they think deserves to be in their top 100.
This afternoon I watched the Man City v West Brom match which brought to mind what I intend recording tomorrow.....

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 29 Aug 2016 13:35

Keith,

Thanks for confirming what the 'Challenge' Board is for .. first and foremost for submitting new recordings. So I don't think you need any 'Thoughts, Ideas or Suggestions' as this is what the Challenge Board always has been. Maybe just to leave the Challenges 'open' so they can be added to in the future.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 30 Aug 2016 07:57

Hi All interested parties,

I think we can now put this post to bed, What I originally had hoped for was some new ideas for new categories for the challenges section
but that never happened, So what I think I have learned from this, is the challenge section worked in the past and hopefully will continue to do so in the future.
So to sum it all up.

All the previous Challenges from the past and where closed are now open still active and please feel free to post in them with your music as you see fit.

All new challenges will be open ended and not have a closing date as was before.

Anyone who wants too can now set a challenge and there will be no limit to the number of open ongoing challenges.

So anyone with anything they feel should be added or amended, taken away now is your chance ? and a big thank you to everyone that contributed their Ideas

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 30 Aug 2016 12:02

Hi All,

Don't faint ... it is me :wink:

Can I just say in answer to the 'new or old' recording debate ... it really doesn't matter when it was recorded providing, of course, that it is a genuine home recording by the person posting the tune.

I would hate to think that some members are going to be unwelcome on challenge board activities because they are using previously recorded material.

The music is the real issue - not when and how it was recorded ;)

Super songs have been posted by all and I have enjoyed my listen this morning .... well done everybody.

All the best,

Mike
Mike Bracchi

Next

Return to Themes