Challenge - Dream of Olwen

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Challenge - Dream of Olwen

Postby andyg » 23 Apr 2016 10:03

This evening I'm playing my first public concert in nearly 13 years. It's a memorial concert for my great friend and colleague Brian Sharp. Half on Compton theatre pipe organ and half on Yamaha Tyros 5, with a 'virtual duet' with Brian as a highlight. I taped the first concert I saw him at 44 years ago and I've still got the tape! So I'm using that, he's playing the solo organ parts and I'm adding the orchestra, just as we did live years ago. If you're anywhere near Solihull, the venue is Fentham Hall, Hampton in Arden, and you can get tickets on the door. Other artists include Chris Powell and Dorian Collins.

Anyway, I was listening to Brian on Youtube last night and heard one of Mike's uploads, the disco treatment of Dream of Olwen on the massive Kawai T50 organ in 1978. He gave me the organ part to that on stage one night, a scruffy, hand written piece of sheet music from which he wanted me to create a disco arrangement for him to play the piano part. I'd not played it before but it went down a treat - we added it onto our playlist.

So, my disco challenge for you is - Dream of Olwen!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Re: Challenge - Dream of Olwen

Postby Brian007 » 23 Apr 2016 11:39

Hi Andy,

Hope all goes well for you tonight,

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 23 Apr 2016 12:26

Hi Andy. Hope all goes well for you and have a very successful and enjoyable evening. All the best. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 23 Apr 2016 16:23

Best wishes for tonight. Will look for the music and post if I can find it.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 24 Apr 2016 08:51

I have found the music for Dream of Olwen. It is in one flat with a short key change to four flats but not very difficult. If you intend entering this challenge but do not have the music send me a message with your email address and I will send it to you.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby andyg » 24 Apr 2016 10:44

Hi

I'm delighted to say that the memorial concert went very well. I'm sure that the great man would have approved. I was able to do my bit on the Compton theatre organ, Yamaha Tyros 5 and a Roland AT900 Platinum, brought along by fellow organist and old friend Chris Powell. As well as me doing a virtual duet with Brian Sharp using my recording of him from the first time I met him back in 1972, we were able to to a virtual quintet. We had the original backing track from an LP record he made years ago, and all four of us - Dorian Collins, Mike Sullivan, Chris Powell and myself - played House of Dreams. The others concentrated on music that Brian had played over the years, it was good to hear all those titles again. Chris played a superb version of Pomp and Circumstance No1, A duet with himself on the Roland and the Compton - and I had to follow right after that!!

If anyone would like the intro - a very difficult intro - to Dream of Olwen, let me know and I'll oblige. No chord symbols, it can't be played that way!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

andyg
Super Poster

Postby JohnT » 24 Apr 2016 11:54

Hi Andy. Delighted you had an excellent time. The tune looks a bit to complicated for me to aspire to I may have to give it a miss. Hope someone does attempt rhe challenge. Thanks for taking an interest. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 24 Apr 2016 14:06

Hi Andy,

Pleased you all had a good night as that's what music is all about, giving and getting pleasure from it. I have seen the music and to be honest its out of my playing league so I will pass on this, but thanks for posting.

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 24 Apr 2016 14:28

Hi Andy,I would love to have the intro to this song,i have what must be the chorus wrote out on a breakdown version i used to do from sheet so i could learn it the way i taught myself to play and the intro with verse would be much appreciated,then perhaps i could give you my version of performing it. Pleased you had a successful night in memory of Brian Sharp.ATB. jackoj. :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 24 Apr 2016 18:31

Hi Andy,
Great to hear your night went well. Sadly I live a wee bit too far away to have attended but know I would have enjoyed the show.
Brian.
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby andyg » 24 Apr 2016 22:23

Drop me an email jackoj, and I'll send you the score. It's arranged ideally for Roland, I may even have the registrations for the AT80SL/AT90SL/AT900. I'll have a look.

andyg
Super Poster

Postby KRUG » 26 Apr 2016 10:06

Tried to make my version of The Dream of Olwen dreamy so chose not to use what I believe was the original piano sounds in favour of something more ethereal. Hope that you enjoy it.

https://app.box.com/s/p4te8offmc8aau75b04nwj2wvtvnxa88

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 26 Apr 2016 11:45

Hi Keith,

I don't know the piece at all, your version has a nice melody line to it and some good voices
so all in all I would say from a novice's perspective it sounded good to me.

Brian00 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 26 Apr 2016 12:30

Hi Keith. Never heard that one. A nice tune with good sounds. It seemed quite haunting. Enjoyed it. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 30 Apr 2016 15:47

HI Andyg and all,
I have had a go at this song as Andy sent me the score and a setting for the Roland AT70 which i have changed to my settings with a style i have called Liverpool Beat, There are many duff parts but this challenge has sure made me wish i had taken lessons when younger,never mind its been fun trying. Thanks Andy for your kind and generous way you have helped me. Here is my Disco type version as near as i can make it. jackoj.

https://app.box.com/s/bz60bktn909rsaoi4vms9cxpo1qqm7f4

HI Keith,
Although not what was asked for in the challenge from Andyg i thought your version was very nice and enjoyable. TFS ATB. jackoj. :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Ray2 » 30 Apr 2016 16:54

Hi Jack. that was nicely put over. That was quite a nice version of your own DISCO beat.Well done pal, keep up the good work,Later, Ray. :D :D :D .
Ray2
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 30 Apr 2016 17:20

Hi Jack Well that was a thumping beat for that tune. A nice variation of style which kept my feet tapping. Enjoyed my listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 01 May 2016 17:15

Hi Ray and John T,
Thanks for replying and pleased you thought it okay,duff notes and all,would like to see an entry from all who have an interest in Andy`s challenge, no matter what your standard of playing is have a go mates.you have nothing to fear. ATB. jackoj. :) :) :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Ray2 » 01 May 2016 21:16

Hi Andy, I thought would have a go at your Dream of Olwen in DISCO. Hope it's suitable. Cheers, Ray.

https://app.box.com/s/oq2a0kzokglec1m986onqudcn9pmwa8c
Ray2
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 02 May 2016 07:07

Hi Ray my Pal,You have done a great performance,thoroughly enjoyed my morning listen to a very confident version played from one of our oldest members on the forum. you can hold your head up high my friend. Hope Andy will reply to the efforts presented and perhaps give us a sample of his version,would be most welcome to hear it from a player of his caliber. Hope i'm not being to forward with my request. Well done Ray. CUL TFS ATB. jackoj. 8) 8) :) :) :) :) :D

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 02 May 2016 08:28

Hi Ray A nice version of the tune. Good strong beat. May have a look at it but had a busy birthday weekend and must practice for country and western tonight. Enjoyed my listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 02 May 2016 08:28

Hi Ray A nice version of the tune. Good strong beat. May have a look at it but had a busy birthday weekend and must practice for country and western tonight. Enjoyed my listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 02 May 2016 09:17

I have to confess that when reading Andy's original post the word "disco" did not register with me. It has been nice to see that there have been several newcomers to the Challenge and I have enjoyed your efforts and hope that your interest continues after the summer break.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Ray2 » 02 May 2016 19:52

To Jack and John T. Thanks for your replies lads, glad you liked my effort. It's a lovely song .Cheers Ray. :D :D
Ray2
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 03 May 2016 07:07

Hi Keith,
Thanks for enjoying the original challenge members,(newcomers as you have called us 8) :lol: ) as for myself i was interested in Andy`s choice of song and with him being a Roland AT900 player got in contact with him and felt obligated to do an entry after he was so helpful,must admit it was a good challenge. Keep that Bohm working it is a lovely bit of kit. ATB. jackoj. :) :) :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Jon D » 11 May 2016 07:22

Hi there Jacko, Ray, & Keith,
I enjoyed your performances a pleasant listen I liked the number must try it have a nice day my good friends. 8) 8) 8)

Jon D. :D :D :D
Hi there I have played from the age of 13 and all my music is played in a sort of dance tempo style.Have worked in nearly all the North East clubs over the years that give me a good grounding cheers.
Jon D
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 29 Apr 2017 15:40

Jacko .. very good! I like your 'upbeat' version of this song. To come up with a backing like that (and fit the tune to it) is nothing short of brilliant! Whatever gave you that idea? You're a 'natural' when it comes to musical arrangements.

Ray .. you too! Another good 'bouncy' rhythm to what is normally played almost 'classical style'. Well done, both.

Andy did say that he would put up an 'advanced' arrangement of this song. In the meantime, here is Peter Hayward playing this tune in the style it was written for.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 29 Apr 2017 18:49

Hi Hugh,
You're going way back and bringing an old post forward to the front again, afraid i lost interest in the challenge section through disagreements with a couple of moderators and never felt like returning,however i do thank you for you for your kind remarks mate.ATB. jackoj. :) :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 Apr 2017 00:02

Hi Jacko,

As you must be aware, Mike has asked me to help with the Admin of TDP, and to this end I have re-oganised how the Boards are viewed when you visit the Home Page, and I have introduced a couple of new sections. My hope is that there will be something of interest going on in different places on the TDP site and that Members will take a look at the various sections to see if there is something that interests them.

The Challenge section follows a 'Theme' and has music and chit-chat based around that Theme .. and it is no longer restricted to 'new' recordings. I find this quite inspiring .. to follow a Theme. All sorts of ideas crop up in my head and I just can't wait to get pen to paper (it's no longer that .. it's fingers to QWERTY keyboard!) and get something up.

Then there are other areas like the Member's Lounge that I get ideas for:
viewforum.php?f=56

My hope is that we can keep this Forum sufficiently interesting to keep it going, but this will all depend on whether the Members want it to or not.

That aside, I really enjoy the pieces you play as it seems to me you are a 'natural' in that you play 50/50 what is in your head and what the music says. As I do.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 30 Apr 2017 07:12

Hi Hugh,
I wasn't aware that Mike had given you any status on site,although i am pleased he has,and i just haven't read about it,i'm going to put that down to old age :lol: :lol: Thanks for the reply and heads up mate and keep up the good work and catch you later.ATB.jackoj. :) :) :D

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 Apr 2017 16:45

Hi Jacko,

Thank you for your positive comments. I kept pestering Mike to re-organise the Boards and set up those new sections, and in the end he suggested that as he didn't have the time to do it, I should go ahead and do this myself. Hope you like the 'new look' of the Forum when you visit the Home Page. And, just as important, it is what 'Guests' see when they find the site for the first time. I have changed the 'permissions' so they can see more, and as a result will hopefully be tempted to join. Mike put an 'Announcement' up about this:

http://tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtop ... f=2&t=5234

If I'm not careful I shall be getting into trouble with myself for putting a posting up in an inappropriate place. The heading on this posting is New challenge - Dream of Olwen!

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby ChuckH » 24 Nov 2017 13:00

Although not a 'Disco' version of Dream Of Olwen this would seem the best place to put my version of it.
Charles

https://app.box.com/s/ek2wnzlifqivlhh2ovgu02k9kq0t5j46
ChuckH
Novice Poster

Postby papadeedee » 24 Nov 2017 14:41

Great performance, smashing !!! :D :D
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 25 Nov 2017 08:40

Hi ,

A very enjoyable arrangement of that piece.

Brian007 :D
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Themes