Instrumentals - but not with the usual instruments.

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Instrumentals - but not with the usual instruments.

Postby KRUG » 07 Mar 2016 09:31

This next Challenge is a bit different so please read the requirements carefully. The Challenge is to play any instrumental which is particularly associated with one performer or group. So you could think of the work of such as Acker Bilk, Santana, The Shadows, Andre Rieu etc. as a way of selecting a tune. BUT YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT ARRANGEMENT.

If you think of instruments fitting these categories:

1. Any instrument that is blown – includes organs and the human voice.
2. Any instrument that is struck to create the sound – includes piano, guitar, glockenspiel etc.
3. Any instrument that is bowed – violin etc.
4. Any electrical synthetic instrument- pads and electro magnetic organs (Hammond type).

So you decide which section the original fits into (e.g. Shadows = guitars which are a category 2 instrument) and play the piece so that the solo instruments are in any category other than category two. Please state the name of the tune, the original performer/instrumentation and your current instrumentation.

To get the challenge going, and I hope to enthuse regular participants and also to persuade listeners to have a go themselves, here is a very well know piece of classical music written by Bach. The Air on a G String was written for violin and I associate it with the great Yehudi Menuhin. I have arranged it for brass instruments – cornet, horns and bass trombone. I hope that you enjoy it.

https://app.box.com/s/awzmo6pndaxok3oq4i5lghz3x485b8i9

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Re: Instrumentals - but not with the usual instruments.

Postby Brian007 » 07 Mar 2016 10:02

Hi Keith,

That was a nice version of that tune and I did enjoy listening to it very much.

I will need to get my thinking cap on for this one :idea:
Will post some thing as soon as I can and get shot of this Man flu / Head cold which has plagued me for almost a week

Brian007 :D :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 07 Mar 2016 11:12

I have just spoken to Brian to help clarify the terms of this Challenge. The human voice is run by air so is in category one. If you wished to treat a vocalist as an instrumental you simply avoid using category one instruments.

Here is another example of what we are looking for. Einsamer Hirte (The lonely Shepherd) is a famous James Last number featuring the pan pipes. This is my version using instruments that do not involve air so in this case largely string and synth based instruments.

https://app.box.com/s/tj38nuqpo8ndfqd7fi9sb58qdx2mi61p

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 08 Mar 2016 12:51

As nobody is posting I will post one I recorded yesterday. It was first recorded by Etta James but I always think of it as a big band tune and I believe I was introduced to it by the Syd Lawrence Orchestra fifty years ago. As a total contrast I have recorded it with a small string ensemble. The tune is "At Last."

https://app.box.com/s/ex636ts515gxmh2u93vho6qf7mp8fw73

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 08 Mar 2016 15:34

Hi Keith. Just back from golf and sorted wet gear out plus putting the keyboard and accessories back from last night. Three very nice tunes with different sounds. All pleasant relaxing listens. Must try and find at least one to play. Now it's off to pick the grand kids up. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 08 Mar 2016 16:08

Hi KEITH,

That was a nice post liked the voices and the arrangement, working on a couple but still struggling with this man flu

Brian007 :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 08 Mar 2016 21:13

Hoo Kay here we go,

From 1962 " Telstar " This was the best-selling British single of 1962. It was also the first song by a British group to hit #1 in the US.
The main melody was played using a "Clavioline". group 4 . I have chosen to re-arrange it for group one and used a Beguine style.

Hope you enjoy the short trip down memory lane.
https://app.box.com/s/vtmvo1wgvib20m38rfs28kd4hwgqfc9y

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 09 Mar 2016 09:39

Hi Brian. I think that Jo Meek would be well pleased with your version of Telstar as it was very well played and the trumpet did the job beautifully.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 09 Mar 2016 13:27

Hi Brian Ages since I heard this one. Nice sound and style. A change from the original. Enjoyable listen. Man flu gone. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 09 Mar 2016 13:43

Hi Everyone This one by the Shadows. Instead of Hank Marvin playing Brian's guitar he is now blowing a pan flute. The beguine is the rthymn and watch out for Indians. A little dampness due to rain. Here goes with Apache. John

https://app.box.com/s/3fur4armb5rdqwng7nltnx26y634h5wq
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 09 Mar 2016 15:34

Hi John T.

A nice and very different version of that Shadows hit, I did enjoy the Pan Flutes it was a change from the guitar version

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres another one from me also by the Shadows, taken from the String of Hits album released in 1979. The album was certified Platinum on 25 January 1980.
so heres my version of Ghost Riders, and instead of the usual guitar I have chosen a Organ for the lead melody with Trumpets for variations. Hope you enjoy it.

https://app.box.com/s/foaexfjg3a83s8zhc0pdxrud40zoacor

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 09 Mar 2016 15:55

Hi Brian Looked at this one enjoyed the organ sound makes a pleasant change. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 10 Mar 2016 10:32

Hi Brian and John,
Two excellent versions of Shadows numbers. The pan flutes sounded great and everything was on time with no discernible dampness. Good organ sounds from Brian and the trumpets were like the icing on a cake. I might feel up to playing something today with luck.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 10 Mar 2016 12:42

Bright Eyes from Watership Down was swung by Art Garfunkel with primarily wind solo instruments. I have used categories other than category 1.

https://app.box.com/s/e8qyhbb1zkddrrmjqpkz24x1sycero5k

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 10 Mar 2016 14:07

Hi All,
I have listened to them all so far and a fine variety of alternative sounds, I think Apache is very well suited to the pan pipes
Here is stranger on the shore, elactric piano and electric piano with vibes.

papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 10 Mar 2016 15:15

Hi Keith Enjoyed Bright eyes. Nice sounds to match the music. John

Hi Brian . Liked the piano for Strangers. Enjoyed the video. Lovely interpretation. Thanks for comments. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Mar 2016 16:01

Hi Keith,

Nice version of Bright eyes, the voices you used matched the tune perfectly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Brian D.

Liked the piano version of Stranger on the shore. a good video not too sure about the sound quality, but well played.

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 10 Mar 2016 16:53

Hi Guys,
I've listened to Stranger on the Shore and the sound quality is very poor on my computer, also I think it is a bit slow so I am going to re do it but I will post it on the performance board. :)
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 10 Mar 2016 17:24

Hi Brian, I enjoyed your arrangement of "Stranger on the Shore" and agree with your comment about sound quality. Live microphone recordings just do not give the quality of a direct feed though I think that some people are able to take a line out from the instrument direct to the camera as they seem to get excellent sound.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 11 Mar 2016 13:34

"No Other Love" is the title of the next song which is strange as there is another song of the same title. This one is from Rogers and Hammerstein and was beautifully performed by Jo Stafford as a very slow ballad. I have taken it rather faster with a latin type rhythm and arranged it for strings.

https://app.box.com/s/gy611mm3t4xo66nfr922cfcw979qvqde

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 11 Mar 2016 14:44

Hi Keith. I think I was expecting the other one. However liked your version of this one. A nice listen, easy on the ears. Hope you are well. Spoke to Brian this morning, still has a bit of man flu. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 11 Mar 2016 17:03

Hi Keith,

I am not familiar with that piece of music, its certainly nice and easy to listen to, and the guitar sounded great
enjoyed listening. Brian007 :D :D :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 12 Mar 2016 11:25

This next piece is called "Don't Ask Me Why" by R.Stolz and it is from The Song Is Done. It is a song that is very familiar to me but a Google search tell me nothing more than I have already told you. I think that it is normally played with lush orchestra and a gravelly baritone so to be different I am using largely synth/pad sounds.

https://app.box.com/s/ms3s2ap7xilqj35q6k9zn4djc3qvyi4i

Thanks for previous comments. If you know more about this song please tell me.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 12 Mar 2016 13:00

Hi Keith. I know nothing about that one. Never heard it but it was a pleasant listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 12 Mar 2016 15:39

Hi Keith,

Thats a new one on me, can't say as I have even heard of it before know ? anyway a nice easy to listen to melody line and some suitable voices made for a pleasant listen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another one from the Shadows from me, was a big fan back in the day :lol: :lol:
This one is called Perfidia from their out of the Shadows album which was released in 1962, using a Beguine style @113 bpm
No guitars, just Clarinet and trumpets for this one so hope you enjoy https://app.box.com/s/ijmwjac7m2fcjnrjp91o2o6kq0j8wiml

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 12 Mar 2016 19:31

Hi Brian A nice version of Perfidia. Enjoyed my listen. Liked the trumpet. You borrowed it from my next post. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 12 Mar 2016 19:36

Hi Everyone Done this one. Did it in a Midnight swing and used voices and vibes, It was done by Eddie Calvert and his golden trumpet. Little bit of dampness at the end. Enjoy. John

https://app.box.com/s/1lz36qwr6ushs99vsgezjj4bg5gbzp5h
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 13 Mar 2016 09:23

Hi John,

At least your not blowing your own trumpet :lol: :lol:
Nice one thoroughly enjoyed it, good voices.

Off to gods country for the day, see you Monday night all being well

Brianoo7 :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 13 Mar 2016 10:17

Hi Brian and John. You can tell that Brian is just a young lad who thinks that music was only invented in the 60's!! Perfidia is a lovely tune which was certainly a big success for Glen Miller who had the worlds most famous big band and sadly died in, I believe, 1945. Miller got his sound by sweetening the saxes with a clarinet so Brian has managed to square the circle. Just imagine Hank sitting there thinking -"I like that tune so let's see how it sounds on a twangy guitar." So along comes Brian and thinks -"I like that tune so lets see how it sounds on a clarinet...." Well played Brian I enjoyed every bit of it.

John often refers to my efforts as being very relaxing and I think that I can say exactly the same for "Oh My Papa." Nice to hear some vocals on the Tyros and you played the vibes well. Very enjoyable and I certainly did not get wet - or even damp.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 13 Mar 2016 11:02

"Summertime" by George Gershwin has been recorded by numerous people but most notable by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. To get away from the voice and trumpet I have gone for very twangy guitars. I hope that you enjoy "Summertime."

https://app.box.com/s/gu3yqa7h5ukqkdtw9c44zekaw4h1yqid

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 13 Mar 2016 12:34

Hi Keith. Thanks for kind comments. Enjoyed Summertime but isn't it a bit early it's just Spring. Joking aside just back from allotment and liked the pleasant sounds once again nice and relaxing. Hope to see you Monday we are going to try and set up sounds etc on the tyros which should be helpful for members. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 13 Mar 2016 16:15

Hi Keith,

Just back from Gods country, and a real nice sunny day out it was, caravan now already for the summer :?:
Summertime your version was very good, well played and voiced, the reason my musical knowledge is so limited
is we could not even afford a wireless in our house until the Queens Coronation so a deprived upbringing really :roll:
and then when we finally could afford the electricity we switched the wireless on for the first time in 1959. :) :)

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 14 Mar 2016 11:54

Thanks to all those people who have listened to my last offering and John and Brian for their kind comments.

Having spent an hour on the phone to BT in Mumbai this morning I was in needs of something peaceful to play. My first memory of this song is the Platters version which was their voices backed by string orchestra. I have arranged this very simply for two guitars, Hammond organ and very quiet strings. I hope that it is as soothing and relaxing as I want it to be. I hope that you enjoy "Ebb Tide."

https://app.box.com/s/92tp3u3glervmxx0vget30tpajdekqwk

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 14 Mar 2016 13:29

Hi Keith,

A nice version of that 1960s song by the platters, it has I feel a very haunting melody line and you did it justice
played well and with some very appropriate voices and accompaniment. Thanks for posting.

Brian007 :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 14 Mar 2016 17:51

I was looking in a book of "familiar songs" when I saw the title "Whispering." It meant absolutely nothing to me until I started to play it and then it was as familiar as could be. Originally recorded by Paul Whiteman and his Ambassador Orchestra and then again a few years later by whispering Jack Smith before the version that we probably know best which was done by The Bachelors.

I have used instruments that were not available in the 1920's plus a few interesting vocals - guitars and pads. I hope that you remember and enjoy "Whispering."

https://app.box.com/s/5ufukwkyo26kbokq84tr3jhd6uh5knmu

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Themes