New Theme - Places

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Re: First New Challenge for 2016 (Places)

Postby Brian007 » 07 Jan 2016 18:59

Hi Keith,

Your definitely not wrong when you say Spanish Eyes. thats interesting to know
you played it well and I enjoyed listening to it. This challenge has definitely been
and eye opener for music for me anyway

Brian007 :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 07 Jan 2016 20:39

Hi Keith. You are a mind of information.
Enjoyed the Beatles, particularly the use of instruments which I thought definitely suited the tune.

Spanish Eyes/ Moon over Naples. You certainly get around two places at once. I viewed Vesuvius from Sorrento a few weeks ago wish I had known that. Anyhow a nice relaxing listen John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 08 Jan 2016 11:08

Stand up and wave a flag. Rule Brittania. Ken

https://app.box.com/shared/1viljd2vrf
kens
Super Poster

Postby KRUG » 08 Jan 2016 12:48

A quick foray into the world of country music for the next one. A simple arrangement using guitar and harmonica of "By The Time I Get To Phoenix."

https://app.box.com/s/tgvwxdzrqregpb7fa4yrtgjduzf9fhf3

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 08 Jan 2016 16:01

Hi Keith. Nice country and western. Choice of sounds suited it well. A pleasant relaxing listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 08 Jan 2016 17:02

Hi Keith,

That sounded really well, a very nice performance with voices that suited the tune very well

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 08 Jan 2016 17:39

Hi Travelers Thought I would remain in this country and travel to another county for a distance of 60 miles My version of Scarborough Fair. Enjoy your time. John

https://app.box.com/s/cqyy2yh9li1fy76ei36i139tgtvs097c
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 09 Jan 2016 08:34

Hi John

Scarborough ? spent many a weekend down there in my youth when I was in a band playing small hotels :D
good choice of style and voices. Brian007 :D :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 09 Jan 2016 08:41

Hi All

Well I am going back to America with this one, to the state of New England to be exact a place called Massachusetts
which was a favorite haunt of the Bee Gess apparently. https://app.box.com/s/vuz6ra0mtsq4h0o5htbackrc5d47l3mc

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 09 Jan 2016 10:25

Hi Brian and John, Glad to hear that you are both travelling even at your ages. Enjoyed my trip to Scarborough and then across the pond to Massachusetts. Have itchy feet myself and an hour to spare so will have a look at the atlas.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 09 Jan 2016 11:22

That must be a record for getting to Nova Scotia and back in forty minutes! This is a piece of digital music I have downloaded from who knows where but the suggested rhythm is Japanese Folk. The song "Farewell To Nova Scotia" is clearly a folk song of British origins but the words suggest that it might be a Scot who has emigrated to Nova Scotia and is reflecting a little sadly on leaving his girl and the shore to go fishing. I used a rhythm called 'chill out' and added a synth to the bass to give a bit of atmosphere. Soft electric piano and spit flute were used for the melody. I have never heard the piece before so it is all very much my interpretation and i hope that you like it as much as I do.

https://app.box.com/s/fp4364dk7d54btum2qf97gjr2q990n42

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 09 Jan 2016 12:36

Hi Keith,

A nice little ditty, liked the voices and style you used for the song, it was done ( according to google)
by Gordon Lightfoot and the Irish Rovers. good Idea altering some of the voicing as it paid off

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 09 Jan 2016 14:30

Hi Brian. You certainly went to some exciting places with the band. Enjoyed Massechusets nice sounds. Liked some of the Bee gees. Easy style. John

Hi Keith Never heard that one before, but I suppose that's what the challenge is all about.sounds were good. Interesting listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Jan 2016 09:43

Hi All,

If there are no new posts in this current challenge in the next 24 hours, I will start a new challenge on Monday morning

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 10 Jan 2016 13:58

Getting in quick. Also I forgot to post a link with Rule Brittania earlier. Now corrected.
So hear is Georgia Ken

https://app.box.com/s/0ssfi61j0e0gz03ohccqbyvcnr7tv8ax
kens
Super Poster

Postby JohnT » 10 Jan 2016 16:40

Hi Ken. Georgia nice arrangement and good use of sounds. Liked my listen. Can't get Rule B. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Jan 2016 16:50

Hi Ken.

A nice arrangement of Georgia, you used some good voices and I enjoyed listening to it

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 10 Jan 2016 17:25

Thanks for comments. Here is another attempt to submit Rule Brittania. Trouble with boxnet ken

https://app.box.com/s/1ga875cjprsjm0g4mml7skb5cxqh32q3
kens
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Jan 2016 18:39

Hi Ken

A good rousing version of that tune, found myself sing along to it and even knew some of the words

Enjoyed it, Brian007 :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 10 Jan 2016 19:11

Hi Ken Agree with Brian a good rousing version. I could hear him from Waldridge and he wasn't bad. Enjoyed my listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Aug 2016 21:49

Brian,

You started this 'Challenge' off with The House Of The Rising Sun.

viewtopic.php?f=232&t=4488#p29002

Of course what really makes this piece is the 'arpeggio backing'. Now I don't know if you already had a Style with a suitable backing, but the one you are using is just about perfect for this song. I have nothing like this on the AR, so my first task was to create a backing of my own. I often find that if I go to YouTube and look for a Guitar Tutorial I get some very useful tips that can be transferred to the organ. And if a guitar, you can often pick up the chords they are playing too.

Listen to this 'Demo' of the notes you can play for the backing of this tune.

So using this as a base, and listening to the original version by The Animals, I came up with a 'Backing PART' for my AR, and have programmed this in. This is just a 'pattern' of notes that is picked up by the chord you are playing.

The MP3 below is how my 'Backing PART' sounds when using just the STYLE and playing chords. Have played a C chord to start with so you can hear the 'pattern'; and then some of the other chords. Click this LINK to listen:

House Of The Rising Sun Backing Part (MP3)

Putting the above together with the tune, this is what I have ended up with:

House Of The Rising Sun

https://app.box.com/s/1lz38q3m7mwyq9zbqb4jgwo35u84316v

To get the 'slowing down' of the tune I just kept the same Registration, but changed the TEMPO gradually as I neared the end.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 06 Aug 2016 07:42

Hi Hugh,

Well what can I say, you certainly put some effort into creating that piece, you're right it's the guitar piece that makes that song
and you re-created it very well for that song on your organ. A first class performance of that song which contains all the feeling
and atmosphere in the original version song. Thanks for posting

P.S. This is a lot easier to play on the guitar ( speaks from experience here ) that to re-create on the keyboard or Organ.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: New Challenge - Places

Postby JohnT » 07 Aug 2016 14:10

Hi Hugh. Enjoyed my listen. Some nice sounds. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 11 Aug 2016 12:35

Hi Hugh,
You got a good sound on The House of the Rising Sun. It is an old traditional tune rediscovered
by Bob Dylan whose version is my favourite. Joan Baez also played it and of course the Animals.
I know that it is a bone of contention with the other members of the Animals that
Alan Price was credited with arranging it and therefore gets the lions share of the royalties.
Here is a stripped down version of Georgia On My Mind.
https://app.box.com/s/g7yykrl8dl6bxpsttrcjblm0ud0i3ezk
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 11 Aug 2016 13:16

Brian D,

You've nailed it again with that superb recording. Quite one of the best versions I have heard of this tune. Again you have brought the Leslie (Tremolo) 'in' and 'out', and I just love that. The sections you played with those very 'high' notes. A lovely contrast. Now, I wear hearing aids, and I do wear them with my headphones over the top. But there were at least four notes that 'dropped out' as they were beyond my hearing range. I presume you did actually play notes all the way through this piece? Your hearing must be better than mine, even with my hearing aids!

Hugh

PS. I asked my dog (a Westie) if she heard those notes .. I'm sure she would have done .. but she didn't answer my question!
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 12 Aug 2016 17:34

It is good that your hearing problem doesn't interfere with your playing.
I did have my ears syringed recently and it made a huge difference. I don't play nearly as loud as I used to.

Here is another with drawbar sounds,
What a Wonderful World
https://app.box.com/s/657u0ffp5stccpvwy8zx2mmgtrp6zc0v
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 12 Aug 2016 19:39

Hi Brian Two cracking tunes which I was able to hear. Funny just listen to a Cd to-day of Rod Stewart singing What a wonderful. Enjoyed my listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 12 Aug 2016 23:26

Brian D,

I know I have always loved the sound of a 'Hammond' organ, and in this piece you have quite a selection of those distinctive 'tone wheel generator' Hammond sounds. Combined with the slow/fast Leslie (Tremolo) and the quality 'line out' recording you have a hit here. Some of those chords sound 'way out' to me, but I suspect you will be telling me these are the standard chords for this song as they appear on the written music.

I didn't think you could get that 'Hammond sound' electronically, and I remember once going into a music shop where they were holding a demonstration evening and saying to the Proprietor, who was in his office, that I would recognise a Hammond being played anywhere .. such as the organ we were listening to at that moment. "Aha", he says. "That's where you're wrong. This is a 'Thomas Organ Demonstration Evening" and what you hear is the Thomas organ replicating those Hammond sounds." And we both went into the showroom. Sure enough, the demonstrator was playing a Hammond Tone Wheel organ. He had moved over with his spectators to show them how close the Thomas was to a real Tone Wheel Hammond.

That was many years ago, and with the way they do 'sampling' now I don't think I would hear the difference (and certainly not with my hearing!)

A while ago you said
I have been watching and listening but I am presently practising some more advanced techniques in all 12 keys for a new challenge and it is taking up most of my playing time. I hope to be posting on the boards later on.

Can you really play in all 12 keys? I am only able to play in about four! And has your practising gone by the board? Anyway, I for one am glad that you have joined in.

Hugh

PS. Had completely forgotten. Of course this Board is supposed to be on a 'Summer Break'.
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 Aug 2016 14:04

Brian D,

I have been thinking about those high notes I couldn't hear in your performance of 'Georgia', and played it again through the speaker system I have on my computer (which is the amplifier from the Yamaha PSR 9000 keyboard, complete with sub-woofer), and this time all the notes were there. So have come to the conclusion that it's not my hearing aids that are not giving me the sounds .. but the headphones I am using. These are not the same ones I use when playing the organ.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 13 Aug 2016 15:48

Hi Hugh,
I practise chord progressions and various scales in all 12 keys. As you know, some keys are more difficult than others.
I play some tunes in the more unusual keys but for the most part i play in the more common keys.
Andrew Lloyd Webber tunes usually modulate into the keys you would rather avoid. Gb , B maj etc
Pop tunes are often in keys that suit guitars, E, A , D, G etc
Swing and jazzy tunes are more often in the flat keys as those keys are more suited to brass instruments.
I can transpose the easier tunes into any key but would need to practice on anything that is a little more complicated.
Thanks for your interest.
I do have a Hammond organ module with drawbars rigged up on my Orla organ,
I bought it recently and have actually only used it once so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2IdeBkAJ0g
I'll get round to it soon enough.

With chords, I usually add the 9th or maybe sharp or flat one ore two notes in the chord. Have you heard of tritone substitution ?
If you are looking for an alternative dominant seventh chord, you can normally play the chord which is three full
tones apart, because they share the two most important notes in the chord, the third and the flatted seventh/the flatted seventh and the third.
(C7-F#7) (Db7-G7) (D7-G#7) (Eb7-A7) (E7-A#7) (F7-B7)
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 Aug 2016 22:00

Brian,

No, I haven't heard of tritone substitution. I find your explanations of chords quite fascinating, as it it one thing just to play the chords as written on the music, and quite another to alter them in some way to make them more interesting ('way out' is how I described them). I suppose Jazz players do this all the time.

With regard to chord structures, I have enjoyed looking at some YouTube clips explaining how to make your chords sound more interesting. The series is called the "Mangold Project".

The first video I came across was:

Two Little Secrets For Better Chord Voicings

.. which I found fascinating. He shows how playing either add2 or add4 chords as they're called (by adding the 2nd or 4th degree of the scale) makes even simple chords (triads) sound richer and fuller .. which you can hear in this demonstration.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, this clip says exactly the same as what you have said about your chords. You add the 9th, which to me is the same as the 2nd.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 15 Aug 2016 09:45

You may not agree but there really is no finer place than God's own county of Yorkshire and this traditional song was often sung by my mother and grandmother almost as a lullaby. I have chosen accordions as they are a traditional country instrument with some of the qualities of the human voice.

I hope that you can sing along to "My Girl's A Yorkshire Girl."

https://app.box.com/s/ysi7pvkrgcbroazqyvs63l6tk69oalmg

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Aug 2016 13:46

Keith,

We have had numerous holidays in Yorkshire .. walking holidays .. but we are both beyond doing that now. Could visualize your 'Yorkshire Lassie' skipping about to the music of your Piano Accordionist whilst we were having a cool drink outside one of your lovely Yorkshire Pubs. Yorkshire Pudding with onion gravy coming up!

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 15 Aug 2016 14:04

Hi Keith. A nice Yorkhire performance. Lively and sounds to match. Enjoyed it. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 15 Aug 2016 18:50

Hi Keith,

Well I did enjoy that tune for all I have never heard it before, but a nice catchy ditty.
Been a lovely day down in Yorkshire today, sunshine and just a slight breeze to stop it getting too hot

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Themes