Musical Challenge Love

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Re: Musical Challenge Love

Postby Brian007 » 24 Jul 2016 07:34

Hi Brian D.

As long as you're enjoying your practising and it gives you enjoyment that's all that matter,
plenty of time for the challenge in the future just when you're ready.

Brina007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Jul 2016 10:01

I need some help here! When I try to watch Brian D's Love and Marriage on my laptop, a large grey rectangle comes up with a message in the middle that says "A plugin is needed to display this content". I use browsers Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox on my laptop, and they both do the same. Nothing there for me to click on and download any plugin. My laptop is running on Windows 10. Any ideas what I need to do? I can play things directly from YouTube, and I can listen to Melodie D'Amour via that YouYube LINK I put in, no problem. Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 24 Jul 2016 10:14

Hello Hugh,
I don't know how to fix the plug in problem but here is a direct link to You Tube for Love and Marriage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OBwLZ1JfCY
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Jul 2016 20:02

Hi Brian D,

Thanks for the LINK. That has worked fine.

I have done a search for 'plugins' and have come up with this:

Adobe Flash

When people upload videos to YouTube, the site may convert the videos into Flash files. A Flash media file can play in any browser as long as the browser has Adobe Flash player. When you install a browser, it doesn't have Flash by default. That means that you cannot view Flash content on any site that provides it. If you attempt to play a YouTube Flash video on a browser that doesn't have Flash, then the site will tell you that you need a plugin to view the page’s video content.

From the Adobe website, I was able to do a 'Check for Adobe Flash Player' and it confirmed I didn't have it installed; with the option showing to install the latest version for my computer (laptop). Which I did. And now your box is no longer 'grey'. It shows the picture + the arrow to play it, and plays fine.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Jul 2016 23:42

Brian D,

Re: Love and Marriage

Is this the Yamaha EL70 organ? It's great to be able to watch you playing it and see some of your techniques. I notice your 'Intro' is along the lines of using the 'ending' of a tune to introduce it, rather than use an 'automated' Intro. You appear to have 8 buttons between the Upper and Lower Manuals, which I presume are your Registration Memories. You are using 5 to 8 (twice) and I presume you have programmed these to a footswitch to move them on from one to the next, as you are not selecting them 'by hand'. Are the first four buttons also Registration Memory buttons? There is also a light at the far right which is permanently ON. What is this for?

You play a mixture of single notes and chords on the Upper, with a few runs and trills here and there; and on the lower are doing a 'chord rhythm' with the left hand. And although we can't see you doing it, I can hear that you are playing the bass with the pedals. I invariably use the 'Automatics', and just hold chords down with my left hand on the lower and program the STYLE I am using to do the 'chord rhythm'. I often use the bass part too as picked up by the AutoBassChord function. So it's really refreshing to see/hear an organ played like this!

You said you were recording with microphones? Does your organ have a LINE OUT?

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 25 Jul 2016 00:09

Here's another song with 'Love' in it. Listening to this on YouTube (by several artistes) there are some super 'counter melodies', particularly with the saxophone. Haven't done a saxophone in this recording but may well have another go at it and try a 'double recording' (as I can't do 'multi-tracking').

True Love Ways

https://app.box.com/s/u94dbv6c5lt2swooujbysy31p49rkj85

I have put a proper bass part into this one by playing the pedals as I wanted to do some 'walking up' and 'walking down' with the bass. And if you were wondering, I am not playing 'from the music', although I did have the sheet music up in front of me for the chords. The melodies and counter melodies have all been done 'by ear' because, for starters, the sheet music only had the 'basic melody line' showing and none of the other counter melodies I could hear .. ie. the sheet music was not an 'arrangement' (I suppose you would call this my arrangement). I find most 'sheet music', particularly 'busker music' is like this. It gives you the basics but no more. Once again I am just 'holding chords' down in the Lower (you can hear the strings .. and later, the 'choir' .. in the background) and have 'programmed' some of the patterns into the Style eg. the repeating piano you can hear in the 'chorus'.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 25 Jul 2016 11:29

Hi Hugh,
A very enjoyable arrangement of this Buddy Holly song. I liked the bass, it has a very sweet tone.
What you described in the music is commonly called a lead sheet, just the basics and the rest is up to you.
Again, nicely done. :D :D :D
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 25 Jul 2016 12:13

Hi Hugh,
It is the EL 70,
Most of the time I find 4 or 8 bars in the music to play as an intro,
The eight buttons are registration buttons and the end button is the (D) disable button
This stops the drum rhythm or auto accompaniment from changing when I change registrations.
I am changing registrations with a foot switch. The voices which I am using on this tune were set up by a registration memory floppy disc.
(I have loads of them)
The organ does have line out and sometimes I use it and sometimes I prefer just using a video camera.
When I use the line out, it is played into a little decoder box which is a great little mp3 converter, I learned of it from "Jacko "
I have just checked it out on e-bay and they have shot up in price. I got mine not too long ago for about £15
They must be getting popular as the cheapest new one I found is over£58 I think I would buy an audio interface at that price but of course
you can play straight into audacity without the interface.
P.S. Here is a post I made earlier using rootless voices on the piano
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4653
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 25 Jul 2016 17:55

Hi Hugh Enjoyed true love ways.Nice and easy on the ears.John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 25 Jul 2016 17:57

Hi BrianD. Love and marriage. Liked your version. Good to have you back looking forward to more posts. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 15 Jan 2017 09:45

Hi ALL,

From 1964 World without Love

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Jan 2017 11:12

Brian. Another great track from you. Love the slightly unusual organ voice, and the switch to acoustic guitar later on makes a good contrast of sounds. Can hear all the multi-tracking you have done too. This is half the fun of (a) recording it and (b) listening to it. A great 'ending' too. Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 15 Jan 2017 11:28

Sounding good Brian. Keep them coming.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 15 Jan 2017 12:05

Hu Hugh and Keith,

Thank you both very much for watching and listening and please you enjoyed it.

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 15 Jan 2017 13:39

Hi All,

Suprising how many songs have the word Love in them, heres another one from the Beatles this time

Brian007 8) 8)
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to Themes