New Theme - Girls Names

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Re: Time for a new Challenge

Postby Brian007 » 30 Aug 2015 17:50

Hi Brian D.

I have heard the piece before but would not have recognized it from its proper name,

That was a truly impressive performance considering the complexity and the length of it
and it was really nice to hear it played on just a piano. I enjoyed listening to it very much
even thought I am not really into classical music.

Brian007 :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 30 Aug 2015 20:11

Hi Brian, Good to hear such a different piece. I am sure that there are bits of that tune that sounded familiar but as though they were taken from other tunes but the title rang no bells at all. Had you not paid the string section?

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 30 Aug 2015 21:10

Hi Keith,
It is a very well known piece of music. It would need a lot more work done on it to get it up to scratch but what the hey, I enjoyed working through it. If I spend the time getting right, maybe the string section would put in an appearance :) :) :)
Brian D
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Re: Dinah

Postby royofherts » 01 Sep 2015 19:22

Hi John T Thanks for listening and comments much appriciated. Roy
royofherts
Active Poster

Postby kens » 08 Sep 2015 10:51

Hi!
My first post
Elvira Madigan on Yamaha EL90 organ

https://app.box.com/shared/pfec60buu0
regards Ken
kens
Super Poster

Postby JohnT » 08 Sep 2015 12:54

Hi BrianD. Well that was a challenge and a half a very difficult tune to play. A one I've heard but wouldn't recognise the title. Enjoyed your strong piano. Thanks for making the effort I enjoyed my listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 08 Sep 2015 12:58

Hi Ken. An excellent first post quite different performance to that of BrianD . Enjoyed your choice of sounds and arrangement. I enjoyed my listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Re: Time for a new Challenge (Girls Name)

Postby Brian007 » 08 Sep 2015 14:28

Hi Ken,

Thanks for posting in our challenge section
That was a great first performance which I enjoyed listening to very much.

Brian007 :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 12 Sep 2015 13:18

Hi! again.
This is one on the el90 yamaha organ Ave Maria. ( Schubert ) The Bells at intro are deliberately out of sync. They sound like the cacophony that used to wake me up on a Sunday morning when I was a nipper. Incidentaly there are numerous versions of Ave Maria by different composers. If we run out of ideas we could attempt to play them all. Somehow think it would not be popular. Certainly not with me. (Joke )

https://app.box.com/shared/6kz2qarp1a
kens
Super Poster

Postby JohnT » 12 Sep 2015 13:30

Hi Kens. Well you stuck to your task there. Enjoyed your version of the tune. It was nice and relaxing easy on the ears. Enjoyed my listen. Members are missing out on some good postings to listen to. Thanks for taking part. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 12 Sep 2015 14:35

Hi Kens, enjoyed your Ave Maria. Nice to have a bit of serious music.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 07 Jul 2016 13:05

Here's a tune that slots into this posting ..

Patricia

https://app.box.com/s/xp3489ckto6dl7rifgitgt9u9o1wcu7z

Playing 'by ear' (from chords) there was just this one chord in this piece that proved difficult. You'll know the one. I couldn't even begin to write it down so had to remember the individual notes forming the chord.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 07 Jul 2016 13:17

Hi Hugh. Another lovely post. Can't recall the tune. It was nicely arranged with good sounds. Had a fairground feel. Enjoyed it. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 07 Jul 2016 14:04

Hi Hugh,

Nice one, very well played considering you plated it by hear, good voices and backing style

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: New Challenge Girls Names

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2016 23:53

Brian .. that was certainly a very comprehensive list of Girls' Names you directed us to in your first posting! Plenty of scope for some great songs.

The one I have here is Clair, by Gilbert O'Sullivan. Now I personally have never seen any of Gilbert O'Sullivan's compositions as 'sheet music', or albums. Anybody ever come across one? I would love to get hold an album as I have always been quite taken with his music.

For this, I have had to play the tune 'by ear' (not too difficult) but also determine all the chords (a bit more difficult).

Clair

https://app.box.com/s/fpwrv675ant8tolu8bm1dehac3j2ou94

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 11 Jul 2016 08:32

Hi Hugh,

I enjoyed both Patricia and Claire - in a manner of speaking.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 11 Jul 2016 09:23

Hi Hugh,

Claire was very good enjoyed it alot, good sounds coming out of that organ

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 11 Jul 2016 12:02

Hello Hugh,
I am practising new techniques at present and have not been posting but I have been watching the boards.
Nice to have a new member taking part.
You will find a Gilbert O'Sullivan book here, click on books and then books artistes (it is a French site)
http://tgv777.free.fr/ma-liste-de-partitions.html
Regards,
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 11 Jul 2016 23:21

Hi Brian D,

When Gilbert O'Sullivan first came on the scene I went out and bought a couple of his LPs. Loved his music and couldn't get enough of it. Didn't have an organ in those days, but played the piano. I tried to get hold of some of his sheet music, or find some of his songs in other albums, but never came up with anything. I was listening to Paul O'Grady on Radio 2 this last Sunday and he played three tracks from Gilbert O'Sullivan's CD The Essential Connection which is a 2 CD set and features 43 of his classic songs. I have ordered this from Amazon (£9 + postage), and as I had an Amazon Gift Voucher from my son and daughter-in-law it hasn't actually cost me anything!

And now, thanks to you, I also have a 'sheet music' album downloaded onto my computer as a PDF file, not only with Clair in it, but several others I can have a go with. I had no idea that the website you mention above even existed, and when I went to visit (following your instructions) I was amazed to find not only an album by Gilbert O'Sullivan, but so many of my other favourite 'artistes' as well. And was expecting to have to put in my credit card details to get them (or use PayPal) .. but no! The downloads are FREE (or anyway, the Gilbert O'Sullivan one was).

I cannot thank you enough for pointing me in this direction, and can only say I am glad that you have been 'watching the boards'. And I thought there were only three people who looked at this board! I have to say that a Forum is only as good as it's Members make it, and you lot are the tops!

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 11 Jul 2016 23:51

And now (as I am feeling really 'upbeat'), here is a track featuring another Girl's Name, which came out in 1968 performed by The Turtles.

Elenore

https://app.box.com/s/8bkh2k4w8cpiaji6rdbd4jbcktljgvb8

What I have done here is to have some 'choir' in the background (followed by some 'wha-wha') ; have a guitar for the main melody (Brian007, I know you use guitars quite a bit, so this should suit you); program a 'repeating piano' into one of the PARTS of the Style I am using for the second bit (which is a different one to the beginning); and then if you listen carefully to the 'verse' second time round you will hear a 'counter melody' with some 'slide' added to it (believe it or not, but this is the Euphonium played up high). And you will hear this again at the end. To do this I had to do one of those 'double recordings' the AR can do .. splitting the Lower with chords and Style on the left of the split, Euphonium with 'slide' to the right of the split; recording the Lower without the melody line; and then recording again playing the melody with the guitar on the Upper whilst listening to what I had previously recorded on the Lower.

I reckon that if your instrument has all this technology available to you, then why not use it? That is, if you know what it is you want to do.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 12 Jul 2016 07:30

Hi Hugh,

Well what can I say, ? I am suitably impressed with what you managed to achieve on that track, and using what you had available you produced
a good performance which I enjoyed listening to very much. and I liked to song anaway :lol:

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 15 Jul 2016 12:58

Hi Hugh. Enjoyed both Clair and Elenor.Nice easy listens. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 Jul 2016 00:02

Seems to me that the interpretation of your Challenges is very much open to question. So, Girls Names. If you don't know her name, how would you refer to her? As ...

She

https://app.box.com/s/686mqc8pfj5j24mrihzh6qv61bn4eq9c

I love a good bass and this piece certainly has that (listen with a sub-woofer, or headphones). What you hear is the bass PART from the AR STYLE I am using, which is picked up by the AutoBassChord system. There is no way you would ever get a bass like this by playing the pedals (there's all that sliding about for a start), and to me, having a bass player who can play the bass like this in my 'band' deserves a medal. To those who say the AR has "had it's day"; well, I beg to differ.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 20 Jul 2016 07:39

Hi Hugh,

That was good, yes the Bass is excellent on there, did you play that by ear ? if so will done you
I must admit I struggle to play this off the music especially the key change in it.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 20 Jul 2016 09:53

Hi Hugh. A nice and easy relaxing listen. Not a lover of Charles Asnervor but enjoyed your version. Pity there are not many members responding they are missing some good playing. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 30 Jul 2016 16:22

Hi ALL,

Heres a new one from me and is from 1969 The song is called Sorry Suzanne by the Hollies.

Co-written by Geoff Stephens and Tony Macaulay. It was the group's first song to feature Terry Sylvester
in the place of Graham Nash. "Sorry Suzanne" was released with the B-side "Not That Way at All" on the Parlophone label,

https://app.box.com/s/p2y3rzdf86olc4x375x6erbql0ywj4rr

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 30 Jul 2016 17:58

HI Brian. Nice Shadows Marvin type guitar.Liked the style. Enjoyed my listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 Jul 2016 00:40

Hi Brian. Lovely guitar you have there. That really makes the piece. Like the quiet 'strings' in the background too.

To answer your previous question re: She, I did play the melody 'by ear' (as I do not read the music) but I also had the sheet music up in front of me so I could follow the chords.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 31 Jul 2016 07:39

Hi Hugh,

Many thanks for listening and commenting on that piece, This was played by ear as I could not find any free music for it.
Once you have the chords its not to hard to pick out the melody line. This piece has two extra tracks added to it after the
initial live recording, the strings were added to fill out the guitar piece along with some of the middle 16 bars and an extra
trumpet was added for the end 2 bars of the middle 16 bars just to highlight it.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 Jul 2016 10:25

Brian ..

ie. some multi-tracking here, which is great if you know .. or can hear when listening to a piece (from eg. YouTube) .. what you want to put in. This is a great talent to have, as these things are very rarely included in a piece of music. If you just play a piece 'as is' from some sheet music it often lacks 'lustre' as it is just the basics. You really need to play an 'arrangement' somebody has done. Of course what you do with your 'multi-tracking' is to create such an arrangement, the mark of a true musician. I think this is half the fun of playing .. deciding what else you can add into a piece when you play it.

With the AR, if I 'play' a piece somebody else has recorded (and I have a few disks by professionals like Chris Powell and Andy Carvill) I can see in the corner of the screen the chords they are playing on the Lower Manual. I can also slow the piece right down to half speed as it is playing, which gives me time to write the chords down by hand. This is another means of getting the chords to a piece if you can't get hold of the sheet music (or find suitable Tabs). On the AR we record to floppy disk. I am curious to know if you get something similar on your keyboard ie. can you see chords on your screen when playing a piece recorded by somebody else through your keyboard? If you can, would this be from a .MID file? I'm sure you wouldn't be able to analyse anything if it was an MP3 file.

Hugh (see next page for Brian's reply .. Page 3)
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 31 Jul 2016 11:44

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for your kind comments, but it's mostly down to observation and figuring out what will fit in with whats already been recorded.

On the Tyros I always record my songs and save them as a midi file to the Hard Drive, when I replay the recording it puts up on the display the chords I have played with my left hand when I originally recorded the song. But when I come to add additional tracks and press record the original chords are now NOT displayed, so I usually have to have the chords in front of or remember what chords are used where in the song, When I add additional tracks using the left hand and if I play a chord it puts that up on the display.

So thats how I work which is mostly Midi, but I would imagine that the same good be achieved by playing your original recording in Audacity and recording additional tracks while the original is being played and build it up from there

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 31 Jul 2016 12:53

Brian,

As I have said before, I can do a sort of 'multi-track' just the once by first recording a split Lower, then playing that back and whilst listening to it record a second track on the Upper. A sort of 'double recording'.

The thing I always found difficult was not having enough notes to the right of the split to be able to do anything meaningful. Certainly not enough notes to play the tune, so I had to play my 'counter melody' here without being able to hear the melody line. But I have discovered something about my AR that I sort of knew about, but never tried doing it. When I split the Lower, I can put any voices I am using to the left of the split up an octave. This means I can put the 'split' point a lot further down (I don't need much room for playing chords) without the chosen voices sounding low and 'muddied'. I would then have enough room to the right of the split to play the melody on the Lower .. and do the counter-melody on the Upper. Of course the 'Parts' in any Style I am using are fine, because they sound the same wherever I play a chord. I have had my organ for years and have never thought of trying this!

And as you say, I could effectively get a second (or more) 'multi-track' by playing into Audacity whilst listening to what I had played before. Sort of build it up. That is, if I could think of any more 'parts' I wanted to 'add in' .. which I very much doubt!

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 31 Jul 2016 16:34

Hi Hugh,

Best thing to do is give it a go and see.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Aug 2016 17:31

Hi Brian (007),

The first song in this 'Challenge' was Diana (Paul Anka) by you .. but the LINK is no longer active. I read elsewhere that Box had upgraded their operation and presumably this is when you lost your MP3 LINKs. But I am hoping that you still have your recording of Diana somewhere on your computer and can put it up again, with a new LINK. I really enjoy the way you put your pieces together, and as I have said before it is always enlightening to see how someone else has tackled a piece. It's all very well listening to the original recording (Paul Anka in this case), but this is someone 'singing' it, and doesn't give much clue as to how one can set up an instrumental version. Which is why I like listening to what others have done. I suspect that you won't be able to check any of this out until after you are back from your 'Summer Break'.

Anyway, here is a 'bouncy' version of this song:

Diana

https://app.box.com/s/a7iex38on6f7px9ykgmkslkkynh92qkz

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 07 Aug 2016 14:15

Hi Hugh. Enjoyed Diana. As you said a nice bouncy version, which made it a pleasant listen. Sounds suited the music. Joh
JohnT
Prolific Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Themes