New Theme - Girls Names

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Re: New Challenge Girls Names

Postby JohnT » 07 Aug 2016 14:15

Hi Hugh. Enjoyed Diana. As you said a nice bouncy version, which made it a pleasant listen. Sounds suited the music. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 07 Aug 2016 14:21

Hi Hugh,

A nice lively version of that tune, which you played and voiced very well.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Aug 2016 23:35

What have I been doing these last few weeks? Apart from putting numerous postings in this 'Challenge Board' .. and cutting back the high hedges in our garden. Well, I have been talking to Peter S about his amazing technique at using the Glide function on the AR (he used to have an AR 100, but doesn't have it any more). He said to kick the left footswitch at the right moment (which he says you can only master with practice) .. but the important bit of what he said was that it only really works if you are playing the notes 'upwards', and hit a couple of the next door notes as you get there. Doesn't work the same when the notes are running downwards.

So, not really having used this function before, I have been practising this technique to put into a song that Brian(007) had reminded me of:

Michelle

https://app.box.com/s/dn6mzc3cpyo32z70nbl0wm4b3o0scca7

I just love this tune and have really enjoyed putting it all together. Contrasting sounds, and of course that 'Glide' with the saxophone.

Is that last chord a Tierce de Picardie?

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 16 Aug 2016 13:33

Hi Hugh,
A very nice performance, The glide sounded great.

Tierce de Picardie is something I hadn't heard about before coming onto the site.
Having just listened to it on You Tube. It sounds like
the intro is in minor, the melody changes to major and then goes back to minor
and the final chord is major.
Based on my understanding I think that it is a TDP
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 16 Aug 2016 14:28

Hi Hugh,

A very good arrangement of that song, with a good choices of voices and accompaniment.

Brian007 8) 8)
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 16 Aug 2016 19:17

Hi Hugh Enjoyed Michelle nice sounds and style.John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Peter S » 16 Aug 2016 22:31

A beautiful recording Hugh.
Keep gliding I love it

Peter s
Keep the music playing!
Challenge Winner
Peter S
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Aug 2016 02:34

For Michelle I had the sheet music up in front of me, which was in the key of D. I don't 'read the dots' but do like to have chords to follow, and add some of my own as I think appropriate. The first few chords I played were D, Gm7, C7, Bb/Fdim, A, Bb, A.

With music, I reckon 'it's all in the chords'. With regard to what chords to play, I have been fascinated by the YouTube video papadeedee has put up entitled 12 chords harmonising melody note C. Maybe this gives some insight as to what chords to play.

viewtopic.php?f=152&t=4736#p31813

Looking up Michelle (song) on Wikipedia I came across the following:

"Michelle" is a love ballad by the Beatles, composed principally by Paul McCartney, with the middle eight co-written with John Lennon .. with the following comment by Paul McCartney: 'Michelle' was a tune that I'd written in Chet Atkins' finger-picking style. There is a song he did called 'Trambone' with a repetitive top line, and he played a bass line while playing a melody. This was an innovation for us; even though classical guitarists had played it, no rock'n'roll guitarists had played it. The first person we knew to use finger-picking style was Chet Atkins. .. I never learned it. But based on Atkins' "Trambone", I wanted to write something with a melody and a bass line in it, so I did. I just had it as an instrumental in C.

And there then follows some information on the Musical structure for this piece: The song was initially composed in C, but was played in F on Rubber Soul (with a capo on the fifth fret). The verse opens with an F major chord ("Michelle"- melody note C) then the second chord (on "ma-belle"- melody note D♭) is a B♭7♯9 (on the original demo in C, the second chord is a F7♯9). McCartney called this second chord a "great ham-fisted jazz chord". After the E♭6 (of "these are words"-) there follows an ascent involving different inversions of the D dim chord. These progress from A♭dim on "go"- melody note F, bass note D; to B(C♭)dim on "to"- melody note A♭, bass note D; to Ddim on "ge..."- melody note B(C♭) bass note B; to Bdim on ...'ther..."- melody note A♭ bass note B, till the dominant (V) chord (C major) is reached on "well"- melody note G bass note C. I shall have to transpose these chords into the key of D and see what the Beatles actually did with this piece.

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Jon D » 17 Aug 2016 19:37

Hi there Hugh,
A lovely number and played so well enjoyed my listen my good friend have a nice day. 8) 8) 8)

Jon D. :D :D :D
Hi there I have played from the age of 13 and all my music is played in a sort of dance tempo style.Have worked in nearly all the North East clubs over the years that give me a good grounding cheers.
Jon D
Prolific Poster

Postby George » 19 Aug 2016 15:45

Hi, Hugh,

That's a great Beatles number liked your arrangement of it with some good voices well played.

George
G Turner
George
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 Aug 2016 16:21

Hi Brian D, Brian007, John T, Peter S, Jon D and George,

Thanks for your kind comments. It's great to find a Forum that is so vibrant and active. To quote Peter S (this is his catchphrase) .. Keep the music playing!

Hugh
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to Themes