Re: Musical Challenge

If you have a piece of music that fits a Theme, please post in here.
Any member can start a New Theme ... just make it clear what your 'theme' is and away you go.

Re: Musical Challenge

Postby KRUG » 25 Jun 2015 09:34

To get things going I thought that I would record this rather beautiful tune written by Harvey Schmii and words by Tom Jones. It was the opening song of the Broadway musical "The Fantastics" and a popular version was by Harry Belafonte. It was allegedly Audrey Hepburn's favourite song. This is my version of "Try To Remember."

https://app.box.com/s/t2y3d747elb9sl0xtumwuk657xssk0h4

I hope that you enjoy it while I go and have a bit of Java!!

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Re: Musical Challenge 24th June - 30th June

Postby KRUG » 25 Jun 2015 10:59

As a total contrast to "Try To Remember" I give you this catchy finger twister "Java."

https://app.box.com/s/r4h4n2hr3yjaton3sd9yk3hpogy91j5y

This was a hit for Al Hirt in 1964. The tune rang a few bells as I tried to play it but it is not one that made a great impression on me back then. Probably goes in the same category as the Birdie Song!

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 25 Jun 2015 11:30

Hello keith,

A nice rendition of Try to Remember, it is a lovely tune, well played.

I enjoyed listening to Java, I didn't recognise the title but I knew the tune right away. I noticed that one of the co-witers of "Java" is Allen Toussaint, I saw him playing live about five years ago in Glasgow. He is very famous in USA, not so much here in the UK. He is a New Orleans legend and a much sought after record producer as well as performer.
Brian D
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 25 Jun 2015 12:48

Hi Brian, I am glad that you enjoyed my current offerings. I think that one of the best things about the "Challenge" is that it encourages you to play new material. There is another tune in this months list that I have no recollection of at all. I have had a look at it and will record it before looking for the original to listen to.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 25 Jun 2015 13:29

Hello again Keith,

I think it is sometimes a good thing not to be influenced by a prior recording of a tune because that way you can put your absolute original interpretation on it. Sometimes it is good to listen to a recording, it can inspire you. I have my eye on Black Magic Woman and I am at present listening to Santana's version, I have already had a listen to Fleetwood Mac's original with Peter Green.

I have to pick up my grand daughters up from Edinburgh to day and will have them all week but I will try to get on the organ at some point over the weekend.

Brian D
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 25 Jun 2015 15:55

Hi Brian, glad to hear that you have a couple of tunes in mind and i will look forward to hearing them. Unfortunately we do not have any grandchildren yet but we live in hope.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 26 Jun 2015 07:38

Hi Keith,

"Try to remember" was absolutely brilliant, that harmonica totally blew me away
and played with a lot of felling.

"Java" is not a tune I have heard before, a good steady beat and some good voicing made this
a pleasant listen.

Brian007 :D
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 26 Jun 2015 08:52

Hi Keith. Just back from four days of golf. Had a quick look at the songs if I get time will try and do a post. I wish others would join in even if it is only to comment. Never mind back to the music.
Try to remember Enjoyed your interpretation of the tune the sounds suited the music.
Java. Vaguely remember this one. Interesting piece of music. Nice sounds. Enjoyed my listen in the poring rain.
Still got a bad cough may have to go to doctors. Keep them coming. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 26 Jun 2015 11:15

Thanks to Brian and Tony for their comments. John has asked me to keep them coming so here goes. This next song was one that had totally avoided my radar but I have to say that having picked through the dots I really like it. As Brian (Papadeedee) said in an earlier post it is interesting to have to put your own interpretation on a piece without any clues from the original. I decided to use drawbars for an ethereal organ sound with a harmonica taking the lead for the second verse. The rhythm is a style called Disco Hands. I hope that you like it as much as I do.

https://app.box.com/s/r36rfznakf4k9l3jght65vqqdm8gz62w

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 26 Jun 2015 14:52

Hi Keith. Not one I know, but an enjoyable listen all the same. Nice and relaxing. I did like sounds. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 26 Jun 2015 16:03

Hi Keith,

Not a song I am familiar with, a good performance with a nice organ sound

Brin007
Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 27 Jun 2015 17:57

Hi Everyone,

Here`s my shot at it,

I have taken a song from the list which is beautiful but rather sad I think and moved it to a
more up beat surf style and here are the results https://app.box.com/s/crbt4oc0ygvw9xlujmc1dpb0r51qr4bg

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 27 Jun 2015 19:09

Hi Everyone who cares to listen. I have managed to play All of me between coughs and splutters.Played it to a slow foxtrot rhythm.At least i have made an effort. i only wish members would comment on both performance sites. Iy would be nice to hear your comments.. i hope you enjoy your listen. A little bit of dampness. John

https://app.box.com/s/aytlwlg8tyjj66ytgigzeiiswy63k9ud
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 27 Jun 2015 19:19

Hi Brian. Thanks for your help. I enjoyed your Smile. Nice sounds and arrangement. An enjoyable relaxing listen. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 27 Jun 2015 20:10

Hi John,

That was very good, a nice style and some good voicing
all made for a pleasurable listen.

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 28 Jun 2015 09:01

Hi John, If that is how you play after taking antibiotics I think that I will have to get a lifetimes supply. Well played in all respects.

Hi Brian, the surf style would not have been my choice for this romantic song but you played it very well.

Thanks to both of you for keeping me company.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 28 Jun 2015 11:19

Hi Keith and Brian. Thanks for your very kind comments. The antibiotics and steroids are kicking in. Hope they do the trick. Wish there were more taking part in the challenge or even making a comment. A little disappointed. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Georgeandmarj » 28 Jun 2015 14:28

Hi John
I enjoyed your version of all of me. Well played with good voicing. Not a trace of dampness.

Georgeandmarj
Georgeandmarj
Active Poster

Postby JohnT » 28 Jun 2015 18:51

Hi George. Thanks for listening and commenting. There are some good tunes on the site. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Patty » 28 Jun 2015 20:44

Hi Keith,

I remembeer this song very well. (Try to Remember) and you played it very well. The second song 1900 Yesterday, I was not familiar with this song but I also enjoyed my listen. Thanks for sharing.

Patty
Patty
Mega Poster

Postby Patty » 28 Jun 2015 20:48

Hi Brian,

I really enjoyed your version of (Smile) with the upbeat style that you chose and very well played. Thanks for sharing.

Patty
Patty
Mega Poster

Postby Patty » 28 Jun 2015 20:51

Hi John T,

A very enjoyable listen to your chose of songs, and you played it very well. Thanks for sharing.

Patty
Patty
Mega Poster

Postby Brian007 » 29 Jun 2015 07:47

Hi Patty,

Thank you for your kind and positive comments

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby KRUG » 29 Jun 2015 07:55

Hi Patty,
Thank you for listening and commenting. Glad you enjoyed them.

Keith
KRUG
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 29 Jun 2015 07:58

Hi Patty. Thanks for listening and commenting. Always a pleasure to hear from you. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 30 Jun 2015 09:41

Hi,

The Musical Challenge will now be taking a summer break after this challenge ends

I would like to personally thank everyone that has been involved either in posting comments
or posting their music and giving up there time to make it the success it has been.

There will be an open invitation posted in late September asking who wants to take
part in any future challenges and if there is enough interest then new challenges will be posted.
If there is not enough interest from members then no new challenges will be posted

Image Image Image
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 30 Jun 2015 10:05

Hi Brian Sorry to hear that we are having a summer break I enjoyed looking around for different music to play. A bit of a challenge for me. I hope you and Keith return and make it a success on the site. Come on members give it a try nothing to loose blame mistakes on dampness. All the very best. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Jul 2016 14:16

Right. You're all off on a break .. but I have only just started!

First (maybe this will have to wait until you all get back) .. Keith, can you go to your first posting in this section and EDIT the Subject Line .. add in brackets what the Challenge is about? Like the other ones. So when challenges 'jump about' (a 'Reply' always sends it to the top) we can identify what is actually in a Challenge rather than just have a date? Brian .. the other ones with only a date are yours. So can you do those? I know that this will not change subsequent 'Subject Lines' in the Replies, but that is not important. It's what shows on the screen in the Home Page of this Board that is important.

Next ..

Keith. I was looking forward to seeing the great selection of tunes you had in your PDF file, but it seems to be missing! And chance of you putting it back? I don't read the 'dots', but I do look at the chords that are written on the music.

I noticed that one of the tunes played was All Of Me. John .. loved your performance of that. The backing has a nice soft, rounded 'ooh' sound; and the electronic percussive voices are perfect for this piece. And I love the 'straight' backing and chords. This is what I mean when I say it's often inspiring to see how another player has tackled a piece. The recording I have done (below) has an 'imported' backing (not one in the AR) and to my mind, is much too 'busy'. So I shall be looking for another Style I can use, and choosing maybe an electronic piano or a guitar for the melody line.

All Of Me

https://app.box.com/s/ooj7xivsfunffikcdnir7m7qjk4do4y9

So that you don't have to scroll up to hear John's recording again (love it!), here is his LINK:

https://app.box.com/s/aytlwlg8tyjj66ytgigzeiiswy63k9ud

Hugh

PS. I know .. doing this has shot this post up to the top, so I am making a real mess of the logical order you had things in!
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 08 Jul 2016 14:48

Hi Hugh. Completely different but loved your take on the tune. An enjoyable listen. I only wish more members would listen and post, but some do not think we need two separate sections. It is a case it suites one but not another a little disappointing when we are all just interested in music. Thanks for your kind comments on my post. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Jul 2016 19:44

Well, the thing about this Board is that it's different to the other one. Yes, if you record a song you can pop it up in the other Board. But the reason why I ended up here is because you had a Theme for each "Challenge", and that set me thinking about something I could play that would fit in with that Theme. Not only that, but when listening to a song in one of the "Challenges" it could very well set me off thinking about how I could do my own arrangement of that song and put it up in the same place as the one that is already there, without treading on anybody's toes.

Brian .. I have noticed that you have put Michelle up in the other section. Very nice too! This could have gone into the 'Girls Names' challenge of this Board. Now this is a song I have been trying to play for years, and you have given me one or two ideas about a Style and voices to use. So if I do that, where do I put it? I think it'll go in Girls Names.

So I suppose it's as you say. One Board suits one, and the other suits another. So I hope both boards will keep going.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Themes