Single finger chords on the CP88 ?

General discussions about Yamaha keyboards

Single finger chords on the CP88 ?

Postby Steve W » 09 Aug 2021 13:30

Hello , if you have read my introduction you will already know that I have distorted arthritic fingers on my left hand . I have owned a Yamaha CP88 for about a year . It would be really helpful if I could get single finger chords for my left hand . The CP88 seems quite sophisticated ( well for me anyway) so I cant imagine that this feature cant be found . I know this was built in on previous models . I have the manual but found nothing . Is it in there but under another name ?
Any helpful suggestions welcome and thanks
Steve
Steve W

Re: Single finger chords on the CP88 ?

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Aug 2021 13:37

Steve,

I have looked through the Owner's Manual for the CP88 Stage Piano:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1180527/cp88_cp73_en_om_d0.pdf

.. and the Supplementary Manual for the CP88 Stage Piano:

https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1243337/cp88_cp73_en_sm_d0.pdf

.. and can find no reference to Single Finger Chords.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Aug 2021 14:49

Steve,

I have come across a couple of videos on Single Fingered; Fingered; and Multi-Fingered Chords.
Take a look by clicking this LINK.
Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab.
http://www.tierce-de-picardie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=479&t=10112

In particular, watch the second one. From 2:30 onwards Peter Baartman (the Demonstrator) says,
In fact, all Yamaha Keyboards and Clavinovas with STYLES are default set to Multifinger Mode."

So that would definitely include your CP88. He then proceeds to give a demonstration of playing a mixture of Multifingered and Single Finger chords. Watch him closely to see where and how he plays these Single Finger chords.

So I reckon that you don't have to do anything to get your CP88 to play in Single Finger Mode. Just do it!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 11 Aug 2021 09:01

Another thing I had noticed when watching one of the YouTube videos is that on the Clavinova the choices for Single Finger, Fingered, and Multifingered Chords was on the same page as where you set the SPLIT POINT. So if your CP88 isn't automatically doing Single Finger Chords for you by 'default', maybe that is where to go and look.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 12 Aug 2021 12:42

Steve,

I've had a look at the handbook again and I think what you have is basically a PIANO. The SPLIT POINT on your CP88 is to enable you to have one VOICE to the right of the Split Point and another to the left.

On our keyboards, the SPLIT POINT is specifically to have VOICES on the right of the split (although you can have a Voice to the left of the split if you want), and to have Rhythms and Backings (ie. STYLES) on the left of the Split Point. These Rhythms and Backings follow the harmony of the CHORD you are playing with your left hand (so you have to play chords with your left hand). It's this CHORD played on the left of the split that you can set up to do ONE FINGER CHORDS, usually for beginners who don't know how to form the actual notes to make a chord.

These One Finger Chords don't produce chords with the LEFT HAND VOICE, only the harmony of STYLES that are triggered (which is why I mentioned in my post that on a keyboard you can't use a Left Hand Voice if you are playing in One Finger Mode).

Now I don't think you have any STYLES on your CP88??? In which case you won't be able to do One Finger Chords, as they only apply to STYLES.

Hope this helps.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Steve W » 13 Aug 2021 15:54

Hugh
I'm sure you're spot on with this . There is no Styles button on the CP88 . I'm going to knuckle down and start learning chords if only using two or three fingers .
Thanks for your comments and advice .
Steve
Steve W

Return to Yamaha Chit Chat