Recording to CD or USB ?

Anything to do with Audio recording, look in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Recording to CD or USB ?

Postby ken horton » 09 Feb 2018 23:52

It's some time since I compiled a CD, at the time (and it was way back) after recording all saved songs went into the Widows Media file automatically, you simply put a blank CD in the computer dragged the tunes you wanted into a play list, clicked on Burn and that was it. Now I have been told windows do not have a burning feature in the Windows 10 version so you have to have some more software, I thought that saving onto a USB to play the tunes may be the better way because CD's and players seem to be going out of fashion, most people stream music from the web straight onto their I player or other mobile device these days, so if you wished to give a friend some record of your playing it may be the better way to give them a USB that is assuming they had a playing device with a USB slot, as their CD player may have been disposed of.

I thought I was home and dry having recently bought two smart TV's both with USB slots and as my music file is backed up by a complete copy on a USB I thought I would give it a try. I tried both sets, neither would play a note ! I had also copied just one tune onto a newly formatted USB (FAT32) as I understand that is the required version but that would not play either. !
So I would be grateful for any information or advice that may solve the problem, do I need a special USB even ? or am I way off base with the whole idea. I am only assuming that my USB has saved songs which I can play from the USB but it is in the computer at the time it could be reading the computer file !
ken horton
Active Poster

Re: Recording to CD or USB ?

Postby Brian007 » 10 Feb 2018 08:06

Hi Ken,

No expert on this, but yes its possible you are playing a saved version on the computer, only way to find out would be to navigate to the usb and check its there and instruct the computer to play from the usb,

As regards the smart TV there may be a sub menu for different types of files so take a look in there and see
also the handbook manual may tell you if it will play sound files, is it a WAV file or MP3 ?

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Feb 2018 11:51

Ken,

I think that any USB will work fine on any device, with either WAV files or MP3. But you will probably have to get the device you are using to actually find the folder where those music files are before it can play them. It was much easier with a CD. You just popped the CD in, pressed the 'Play' and off it went.

Funny that you should bring this up .. about CDs and Memory Sticks. Steve was saying about the prices of tickets these days, and I replied to him with a comment about CDs and 'streaming'.

Do a right-click to open this topic up in a New Tab
viewtopic.php?f=152&t=6043&p=39255#p39250

None of my family seem to have a CD Player, so I have given them my recordings on Memory Sticks. But it would appear they can't even listen to my music from that, as they listen to everything on Mobiles, and Mobiles don't have USB Ports. Maybe this is just a good excuse not to listen to Grandad playing his organ (not their scene!). I suppose they must have a Memory Card in their mobiles, and could transfer the music files from the Memory Stick to the Memory Card. But then they would have to have another device, like a laptop or computer to be able to do this. Oh well!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Feb 2018 16:03

Ken,

I have been talking to our daughter, who uses her mobile for absolutely everything (including for work .. she is a teacher) and she says CDs and Memory Sticks and Memory Cards are 'out' these days. All the youngsters 'stream' their music. Put your music into a Folder in a 'cloud' (I know I have a couple of 'clouds' for storing stuff, which I never use) and give your children/grandchildren/friends access to get at the music Folders stored there. They won't physically download the music files onto their devices, but will listen directly from the 'cloud' by 'streaming' the music.

So there we go.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Westgarth » 10 Feb 2018 17:56

Hi Hugh

Must agree with your daughter that USB and other other storage devices are out. Here at the college I work at we've banned all storage devices this year and are disabling all the usb ports. Students use the cloud to save all their work now. No excuses that we've lost their work anymore! The security of the system is just far too expensive to manage when they can contaminate it from USB's.

I use a usb for music in the car (30 albums on it now) and the keyboard. I also store movies and films on USB. Can't say I've ever had a problem accessing them. I store them the old fashioned way in folder or directories and I don't use playlists. Some packages force you to use a playlist but I avoid them.

I have a bluetooth dongle (£1 in B&M stores) and I can transfer music from my £30 smart phone to the TV. I'd rather just say to my little google friend, "OK Google, play some organ music". Have you got a Google mini, they're brilliant! :D
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby ken horton » 10 Feb 2018 23:45

Thank you Hugh and Westgarth for taking this on board and for the information . I had a sneaking suspicion that both CD’s and USB ‘s are now considered old hat but I had to ask someone and as I circulate almost solely in the retired dog walking fraternity no one I asked had a clue !
Since raising the matter I have been surprised and delighted that my Windows Media Player has suddenly imported my song list I keep in Documents without any help from me, in fact I had been trying to copy this into the Media Player without success over the past few months and getting nowhere, that has made a big C change as I can now create a playlist and burn to a CD as I used to.
But I have decided that my aspirations do not justify the outlay of some costly high tech equipment because I do very little recording and when I do it is in short bursts with months between sessions.
So I am going to stick to recording with Audacity, keeping a music file in Windows Media Player and on file and if anyone is brave enough to ask for a CD of tunes I can burn one the way I used to which makes life much easier.
I have sent Panasonic a question about why will their smart T V’s not play a USB loaded with MP3 music files and will let you know the outcome, but I have found if you ask them something outside their comfort zone you don’t get much satisfaction.
To digress a little, I have a couple of radio CD players with built in speakers but neither have any outlet sockets, but I wish to experiment a little so I have just bought a used CD player / recorder with the usual output /input sockets .
I did post some time ago my rather startling ways of connecting an outside source ( expander / keyboard ) to the organ not the conventional way via the Aux circuits but by feeding all outlets into a common junction box with the computer line in and headphones for monitoring also connected, I shall now be able to include the CD player to the junction box, very basic and tiny tot stuff but I hope to produce something like dual tracking without all the usual paraphernalia , whatever it will be I do not know but it will be very simple.
ken horton
Active Poster

Return to Audio Recording