Audacity Tutorial - Changing Tempo Without Changing Pitch

Anything to do with Audio recording, look in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Audacity Tutorial - Changing Tempo Without Changing Pitch

Postby Brian007 » 17 Sep 2017 07:57

Yesterday I posted a link to an app for the ipad that allowed you to alter the tempo of an audio file.
Well today here's a video tutorial that shows you how to do the same thing in Audacity which is for the PC.
Useful for picking out counter melodies or instrumental sections of a song not in the notation.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: Audacity Tutorial - Changing Tempo Without Changing Pitc

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Sep 2017 15:32

Brian,

It would seem that changing Tempo with Audacity is not all that is seems, as when you do this, "wow" and "flutter" is introduced resulting in distortion. As confirmed by the section where he slowed it down to just under half speed. Yikes!

Here is another tutorial illustrating this, and even when the change of tempo is only 4% it makes it unacceptable as a piece of recorded music. Click on the below for the video. You may wish to do a 'right-click' and open the link up in a New Tab.

Of course this video has been made by a company promoting their own product, Song Surgeon, which costs about $100 (£74).

Out of interest, I have tried changing the Tempo using Audacity with one or two pieces I have played .. not very successfully. In the end, as I had the music recorded on floppy disk anyway, I was able to re-record the pieces directly from the AR, and could slow down/speed up the tempo of the piece directly off the floppy. I have the option of 'playing' the piece from the floppy at between 50% to 200% (ie. half speed to double the speed). This works with no change of pitch, and no distortion.

Also, when playing back somebody else's floppy track in my AR I can get the Left Hand Chords showing on the AR's screen, so often slow the music down to 50% so I have time to write the chords down!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 17 Sep 2017 17:36

Hi Hugh,

To be honest, if I want to slow down any audio files I load into the tyros and its possible to slow down the audio in the audio player on the tyros
and it works and sounds very good and no flutter etc... but I thought I would put the tutorial up for members that only have a PC and not an Ipad
and most people have Audacity on there PC anyway. Its like most things try it for yourself and if it works fine if not try something else.

Another possible way is to use a midi file ( if it has what you want in it ) and slow that down using a midi player

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 19 Sep 2017 18:11

hI all,

And here's another great app for the ipad which will slow down the tempo of any audio file, just watch the video

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Audio Recording